PDA

View Full Version : Thinning ratio for 1k build primer?

Hallsy
09-04-2007, 07:13
Anyone know how much I should thin a std 1k build primer by?

I haven't used 1k paints before so not sure on mixing ratio, and can't find a data sheet :(

It seems that a lot of the 1k lacquers don't need thinning, but don't know if this is the cae with the Bodyline build primer I have.

I'll be topcoating in 2k, but as I had some 1k primer left over from when my dad had something done I thought I'd use it up.

Hallsy
10-04-2007, 10:14
Surely someone on here can help? I know there are few on here that have used 1K paints before.

cranky
10-04-2007, 14:11
No idea myself fella but i'm guessing your gonna be using the aldi special :D

Any chance of taking a couple of pics and a small guide as i've got some painting to atempt myself and i've no idea what i'm doing :D

Stevie b
10-04-2007, 15:22
1k paint does not usualy require thinning.

Does it not say anaything about thinning on the lable? if no then I would say don't thinn it.

Has it sat about for a while? if it is old it may be starting to thicken up and in this case a little splash of thinners would help.

You will know if it is too thick when you try to spray it.:)

Hallsy
10-04-2007, 17:53
No idea myself fella but i'm guessing your gonna be using the aldi special :D

Any chance of taking a couple of pics and a small guide as i've got some painting to atempt myself and i've no idea what i'm doing :D

Will do mate, I had a little play this morning, hopefully as long as the weather stays as it is I'll be priming a rear bumper, skirts, tailgate & spoiler in next couple of days and will add pics/method to my revival thread :) The compressor should be just about up to it with the guns I have, I need to turn up the main regulator a bit though as it only reaches 7.5bar rather 8 so it cuts the compressor in a bit earlier than it would if filling to 8bar. As a start point I'd try the gun pressure at 50psi, then set the gun up on a piece of paper.

This the method I have been suggested in the past, as taken from another site:

Set the fan width as needed (you don't want to change it after you have "tuned" the gun). Turn out the material knob about 2.5 turns. The farther in it is screwed the lower the fluid to air ratio is and the smaller the droplets will be. The farther out it is, the higher the fluid to air ratio is and the larger the droplets.

Tape a piece of masking paper on the wall for the test. Hold the gun at a right angle to the wall, just as if you were going to paint the wall. Hold the gun at a spread out hands distance (about 8 inches, or 22 centimeters). Pull the trigger to completely open for a split second and then close it. You want an ON-OFF wide open-completely closed in ONE movement. You should have a cigar shaped pattern with complete coverage in the center with fading coverage going away from the full coverage cigar shape in the center. The center should be fully covered without any runs. If you have runs, either you are holding the trigger too long, you are too close, or the gun is simply applying too much material; in which case you need to screw in the material knob or turn the air pressure down. But most likely if you have turned the material knob out the 2 1 2 turns and the air is set at the factory specs, you are just too close or holding the trigger open too long.

The droplets you see trailing off the center are what you will use to "tune" your gun.

Turn in the material knob to make the droplets smaller (and or raise the air pressure very slightly). The balance you need to attain is the smallest droplet size possible before you lose the coverage desired. In other words, if you turn in the material knob too far, not enough material will be coming out to cover the panel!

After you are happy with the droplet size, DON'T TOUCH THE FAN CONTROL. It will change the PSI at the cap and will change the atomization you worked hard to get.

Do this sprayout every time you spray as material change, temp, and humidity will necessitate a sprayout droplet pattern test. Good luck!

HTH :) As I say, I would set gun pressure to around 50psi (set compressor regulator, then pull trigger, check that it drops to around 50psi). When fine tuning the air in the test some guns have a trimmer on them as the compressor regulator will be quite coarse adjustment, but you should be able to get it right with the fluid control.

I'll find out when I give it a try, a mate of mine who's a painter just looks at his fan, practices on a wall then adjusts til he's happy!!

Stevie, nothing about thinning it on tin, but as it's build primer I thought it might require thinning. I'll give it a whirl at full thickness :)

bigb1970
10-04-2007, 18:01
the top one is fan and the bottom one is mixture isnt it..

Smart-Tech
10-04-2007, 18:54
the top one is fan and the bottom one is mixture isnt it..
Shouldn't this be in exterior tech. 1K will usually require thinning to reduce viscosity., try 20% then increase it to improve flow. The fan control varies from manufacturer to manufacturer. Devilbiss/Iwata top, Sata side, Fiac bottom.

Hallsy
10-04-2007, 19:26
Sorry Rob, I keep forgetting that we have an Exterior section :rolleyes:

Thanks for the info.

Am I wasting my time using the 1K primer though? I'll be topcoating with 2K but worried about adhesion/durability of the 1K. Only using it as I have some to hand.

Smart-Tech
10-04-2007, 19:31
Sorry Rob, I keep forgetting that we have an Exterior section :rolleyes:

Thanks for the info.

Am I wasting my time using the 1K primer though? I'll be topcoating with 2K but worried about adhesion/durability of the 1K. Only using it as I have some to hand.
1K will be fine as long as its well keyed and cured before you basecoat.

Stu
10-04-2007, 20:00
I'll move it over to exteriors, I was going to do it earlier but wasn't sure how much traffic it got. I should have considered the quality of the traffic though!! :)

Hallsy
10-04-2007, 21:23
Thanks Rob.....and Stu :)