Thread: HNC elctrical/electronic Project

Rides

HNC elctrical/electronic Project

right people im studying a HNC in elctrical/electronic engineering and we have to design and project that we decide. As i got this assignment months ago but couldnt think or anythinc suitable to do. Most of my ideas were either to complex or to simple. I have had a think and decide on designing some digital scales bearing inmind that i have to do this all in my own time.

Now i havnt got a clue realy where to start and iv tried search on the net for some info on things im going to need but either im not very good at searching or there aint a great deal of info out there.

Has anyone got a clue where would be a good place to start?

Rides
    Loads of car projects I'd love to do but never have the time.

A nice one was a DET sensor circuit, as proposed in this thread:

http://www.sxoc.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=127162

I got halfway though a project to make some digital gauges using a PIC chip to sample signals (oil pressure etc) and display them as bargraphs on a 2-line LCD screen (£20). You can have the PIC source if you want it . I had pictures of the unfinished unit, until my webspace went .

Rides
    the idea of that knock sensor sound very intereseting and also a worth wile project but im getting the feeling i might be step abit out of my depth. theres alot of reading there and im going to get though some of it and have a think.

but i think that i just dont have the knowlege to come up with a good product.

Rides
    Fcuk me. its moved on a bit from when I did my HNC!
    Quote Originally Posted by TAS View Post
    I thought Matt_S invented SXOC
    Quote Originally Posted by 30PSI View Post
    Matt_S is the SXOC. They're the same entity.
    Quote Originally Posted by Matty2Fatty View Post
    Some say that he remembers when the whole planet was just a field & that his body is held together with cable ties and duct tape, all we know is, he's Matt_S

Rides
    I think for digital scales you would be looking at strain gauges. Then you would have to find a relation between the current output from strain gauge to the weight of the object. From what I remember you will need to use a strain gauge find away of converting the output to a digital display. I'm cant remember how you would do that. Hope I help a little.

Rides
    I seem to remember that there are circuits available (crystal based) that will give a voltage output proportional to pressure. all you need to do is A-D convert and get a suitable display!

Reading this thread makes me realise how long ago my HNC was!

Good luck

Rides
    cheers for the help guys i thoguht that i would need a a-d converter. but i wasnt to sure on the strain gauge part a good place to start.

although i'm liking the idea of the det sensor i dont think iv got the brains to be able to make it work. which is a shame

Rides
    how many hnc in the club?

aren't we all clever chappies.

actually made my project the night before i handed it in. it didn't work, but as it had to be connected to 5 tonnes of chlorination power supply i had to simulate it.

red led + 555 = pass, if the bullshit in the write up is good enough