Thread: Twin 15" sub install....

Rides

Cool Twin 15" sub install....

ok, i have been offered a pair of these... for £140, brand new in the box (vibe black air 15" subs x2).

i was wondering if anyone has taken the spare out and built some sort of ice install into the boot coz there is no way im fitting 30 inches (3.6Kw) of sub into the boot of my s13 when it has the tire in there. also i would like somwhere to mount my polished NOS bottle (which has to be at 15 degrees or something) within full view of everyone when cruising or at a meet / show but still be able to cover the lot with my parcel shelf when parked up. (boots are for people with a family, i still have a passenger seat....... laydees.

i also have a rear strut brace which takes up some of the room towards my back seats, and i want to keep my rear seats 'just incase' (three laydees??)

has anyone done one of these installs?? have you got pics?? i am prety handy with the powertools and i dont mind making a full boot build coz its harder to steal than a bass box that way!!

Ideas please anyone??

Rides
    i know that two 15s would need big boxes if you are havin them ported,which is what i would do if having 15s..my 2 12s have 2 cubic feet boxes and there not much room for my amps.

Rides
    as madmicra said - are you planning on running them ported or sealed? and what is the recommended volume for them?

also, 3.6kw is probably a bit of an optimistic power handling figure mate, thats more than likely going to be pmpo.

tbh i think you might be a bit hard pushed to fit all that lot in if you are running htem ported.

Rides
    I have a single 15" in my s13 boot and it takes up a looooot of room, would love to see twins in there!!

Cambridge (beats the sh*t out of hatfield)
    Rides
    With those subs you're probably looking at about 600w between them, but obviously, the more head room the better..

I'd be shocked if you could get two in an S13.. If you can muster 4 cu'ft of internal volume go for it though.. As for ported, I'd say no chance Probably need about 6 cu.ft at a guesstimate, excluding the port, displacement etc

I'd also imagine that the subs will need to be mounted flat, i.e. facing the rear windscreen.. Not quite sure how deep the boot is..

James

Rides
    Id buy a better single 15" sub - A JL W3 or something.

Rides
    Personally, I wouldn't try and squeeze in big subs because you're getting them cheap. By squeezing them in (ie into small boxes), you'll probably compromise on their capability to work efficiently and hence end up sounding pants.
    As pablo has mentioned, I would go for a better single 15" or perhaps 2 10/12s that work in smaller boxes.
    Back in the days I use to run a single Earthquake 15 CPDS. I was running it in a 4.5 cubic foot ported box tuned to 35Hz and powered by a 400W RMS amp. This thing would hit some seriously low notes at some surprisingly high volumes - enough to set off car alarms from about 10 meters away if I played the right tune, however, I couldn't even think about carrying anything else in my boot (was a Cavalier Hatch back). I've still got the sub sat in my garage - nobody wants it because the box is just too damn big!!

Rides
    my JL 15W6 worked great in a 1.25cu ft sealed box.

still to this day the best sub Ive ever owned

I also had a 6cu ft ported box for SPL till it fried
    Last edited by pablo; 30-03-2005 at 13:08.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by pablo
    my JL 15W6 worked great in a 1.25cu ft sealed box.

still to this day the best sub Ive ever owned

I also had a 6cu ft ported box for SPL till it fried
    I miss my W6s.. 0.4 cuft for the tens...

James

Rides
    ok, time to download blaubox - i used this to get the box dimentions for my 2x12" pioneer spls that ti ran in my 480 turbo. took up the whole boot but would run on a tiny ammount of power from a small amp and sound fantastic with 'warren g - regulators' only with volvo standard components through my pioneer headunits built in hpf and lpf on the amp for the subs. it looked like a pro install but could come out if the need was there (airport runs etc.) will have to find all the specs for the vibe subs, maybe one sat in the wheel well will do it.

edit: could maybe make a ported box for the 15 and run 2x10s in sealed box for 'punchy' bass as well to the sides.....

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by *Albino*Batman*
    edit: could maybe make a ported box for the 15 and run 2x10s in sealed box for 'punchy' bass as well to the sides.....
    Not usually the best idea.. normally leads to shed loads of phase problems and a muddier sound than you started with

A single sealed 15 wouldn't take up a HUGE amount of space, would drop low, AND would sound punchy if you get the right sub (possibly not that vibe though, although I'm judging by reputation alone)..

James

Rides
    so whats with vibes rep. ? i heard they were good. wots a good lo-budget speaker????

Rides
    For £130, they're quite good, but with two Vibe 15s you'd probably struggle to get the quality of a decent single 12..

Something like this, second hand:

http://www.talkaudio.co.uk/classifie...1&cat=6&page=1

Actually, sod that:

I've met this guy before and he's a good chap.. This sub is an awsome price.. If I had a spare 100quid (and could use a D4 sub) I'd have this for myself..

http://www.talkaudio.co.uk/classifie...1&cat=6&page=1

James

Rides
    aye puggie is a good guy

Rides
    Albino - where did you get blaubox from?

Rides
    http://diyaudiocorner.tripod.com/software.htm most things you can download for getting boxes the right size!