Thread: Got a car booked in with APT??? READ THIS!!

Rides

Got a car booked in with APT??? READ THIS!!

General Etiquette.

In order to the achieve the best possible results from your car, we ask you to take the time to read and absorb this, prior to booking your car in for mapping or any kind of work that could involve road use by ourselves.

Firstly, we ask that any car that is to be mapped or driven on the road by us is actually fit for this. This covers 2 main area’s.

1. We will only take on the mapping/road testing of cars that are road-legal. This means that current MOT & Tax must be in place and cover the full amount of time that we are likely to have the car.

2. Road-worthiness. Any car that we receive must be fit for road-use, taking into account that mapping does from time-to-time involve driving at the upper end of the speed-limits. We ask that you carry out a check of condition of Tyres, Wheels, Suspension, Brakes, Seats and Seatbelts and that it has Oil and Water in it. Please advise us in advance of any problems in these area’s and note the seriousness of this aspect.

Secondly, please ensure that the car is running on whatever fuel you plan to use long-term. It is advised to have a preferred brand of fuel that you can get hold of easily and use that regularly. Of course, make sure that the car has a good quantity of fuel in it when dropping it off (except when we are fitting a new fuel pump!! - 1/2 tank maximum in these circumstances).

It is advisable to get to a point in your spec where you don’t plan any further imminent changes, as making changes after mapping will affect the map and may cause damage to your engine.

Please advise us, preferably by email at sales@ap-tuning.co.uk, the full spec of your engine, including, if appropriate, details of who it was built by and how many miles it has covered. Also, include any details that may have been specified by the person/company that built the engine, in terms of maximum allowable Boost level etc.

We reserve the right to refuse to drive a car that isn’t fit to be driven on the road for whatever reason, regardless of how far you have had to drive to get to us. This will continue to apply even once we are mapping on the Rolling Road as an element of road-testing may still be necessary and of course we still require the vehicle to be safe. The less safe we feel in a vehicle, the less time we will want to spend there! So, its in everyone’s best interest to make these checks.

Finally, regarding specification. Where an engine hasn't been spec'd or built by us, we cannot accept liability for any discrepancies that arise during mapping. If, for example, halfway into a mapping session it becomes apparent that the turbo isn't suited to the application or some other change needs to be made, resulting in extended mapping time then this will unfortunately have to be reflected in the final price.

We are generally very flexible, but when we see such a wide range of build's, varying in quality, we have to maintain our position of absolute integrity and if getting a good result requires more work, then that of course has a price.

Thank you.
    Last edited by C 'n' B; 28-04-2006 at 12:47.

JAPOKYO! cos im made of special! (Nuneaton)
    Rides
    doh, i hope you guys having my sx over there hasnt suddenly made you think to post this
    Its gone!

Rides
    LOL. Funny you should say that!!!

No, seriously, this wasn't intended to single anyone out, but just to say that we put our lives on the line every time we get into an unknown car and have encountered some funny things in the past.

It is too easy to try and save yourself a few quid by doing work yourself, but please be careful in what you do!!

JAPOKYO! cos im made of special! (Nuneaton)
    Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by C 'n' B
    LOL. Funny you should say that!!!

i think its good advice
    Its gone!

Rides
    ooops, i know your not singling anyone out but i do feal partially responsible for this! and i am very sorry for the inconvinience its going to cause you guys, but belive me when i say that between yourslves at apt, bren, and the guys on this forum i'll have the best car i can afford, no-one else will ever touch my car and again cheers for what your doing for me

tony

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by C 'n' B
    but just to say that we put our lives on the line every time we get into an unknown car and have encountered some funny things in the past.
    funny you should say that i've felt like my life has been on the line every time i've been out with gary in the Evo

good call though, it's something i expect gets frequently overlooked

Rides
    Tony, as I said above, we are very flexible and when we are kept in the picture regarding problems and issue's, that's fine we can cope. The worst thing is when we are asked to squeeze a job in on the promise from the customer that all will be fine, then when it turns up, it's far from ready and it affects the rest of the diary and people that have had work booked for weeks in advance.

Stu, you should have a passenger ride in the RST. Interesting, I think is the best word to describe it. If you ever wanted a text-book example of Torque-steer, I think that fits the bill!!

When its our own cars thats one thing, but when you drive down the road in a customers car and you apply the brakes and it wants to drag you into the ditch or you get it on the ramp and the tyres have the cords showing through, thats something else!!