Thread: DIY Sleepy eye for under £8

Rides

Lightbulb DIY Sleepy eye for under £8

A full idiot (that’s me!) guide to a DIY sleepy eye kit for under £8

This is just a guide of how I did this mod to my car. I can’t guarantee this will work perfectly on everyone else’s car and take no responsibility if anything goes wrong if anyone else attempts it.

I thought I would have a crack at this after reading the following thread:

http://www.sxoc.com/vbb/showthread.p...threadid=72877

Firstly I popped into Maplin and bought the following:

1 x On/Off toggle switch/button - £1.69
    1 x Momentary switch/button - £1.49
    5 meters of electrical wire - 39p a meter (length needed depends on where you want to mount the switch/buttons).
    1 x Packet of male bullet connectors - 69p
    1 x Packet of female bullet connectors - 69p
    1 x Packet of connectors for the switches/buttons - £1.19

Total cost to me: £7.70.

Now for the fun bit:

1. Remove the passenger side sill panel.
    This is held to the sill with 5 plastic screws, which open clips. Undo these gently as they have a habit of pushing back in and causing you to start again. Once all screws are removed the sill panel will come off nice and easy. Luckily for me, not a sign of rust to be seen on my sills.

2. Remove the passenger side kick panel.
    This is held in place by 1 plastic screw and 2 metal screws. Undo the 2 metal screws first. 1 is at the bottom left hand corner of the panel near the door and the other at the top right going into the bulkhead.
    The plastic one is holding the panel into the door hinge area. Once these are all undone pull out the kick panel to expose your ECU.

3. Moving the ECU.
    This is held to the body by 2 x 10mm bolts, one above the ECU and the other below it. Undo both (the wires for the ECU plug are in the way of the bottom bolt and a little bit of wiggling of the wires is required to get at it). Be careful not pull the wires too hard or knock the ECU.
    Once it is free of the body it can be moved enough to get at the Headlight control relays.

4. Remove the headlight relay.
    There are 2 relay’s, a black one and a brown one. You want the black one. Luckily it’s the closest and easiest to get at. It is held in place with 1x 10mm bolt – undo this and you should be able to wiggle the box out into the open. Once you have it in your hand you will see a white plastic plug going into the side of the relay. Unplug the relay and put it to one side.

5. Cutting and splicing the wire.
    Now you have the plug in your hands inspect it closely, the wire you are after is a PINK one with a BLACK trace. Cut this and expose a bit of wire on both sides (I needed to cut the masking tape back a bit to expose more of the pink and black wire making it easier to work on). Now attach a male bullet connector to one side of the wire and a female bullet connector to the other. This way if you’re not happy with the mod or one headlight motor turns out to be slower than the other you can easily return the wire to normal by plugging the two bullet connectors together.

6. Wiring up the buttons/switches.
    Work out where you want to mount your buttons/switches and cut 2 lengths of electrical wire to the desired lengths. Attach a male bullet connector to the Relay end of one wire and a female bullet connector to the relay end of the other wire. Plug these into the connectors that you inserted into the relay plug in section 5 and follow sections 4 to 1 backwards putting everything back in place.

That’s the hardest bit over with. Pat yourself on the back!

You should now have two wires coming out from under the kick panel, which you can route to wherever you have decided to mount your buttons.
    With the wires in place, cut them back a bit and attach the wires to your on/off toggle switch/button (the connectors on the back of my switch/button had holes in them that I simply pushed the exposed wire through), leaving enough exposed wire to attach 2 further bullet connectors. The bullet connectors will stop the on/off switch from going anywhere. I used some insulating tape to separate the 2 exposed bits of wire and stop them touching each other and shorting. With the two bullets now coming off your On/Off switch you can now wire in the Momentary contact switch/button and close the loop.
    I used two short bits of electrical wire – a bullet on one end and a switch connector on the other end of each. Attach the bullets to the ones coming off your On/off switch and attach the other connectors to the Momentary switch/button.

Job done!

7. How it works
    The On/Off button will open or close the original loop.
    With the button pressed “ON” the headlights work as normal. Up with full beam and back down again when turned off.
    With the button pressed “Off” the headlights will work as normal, but won’t go back down again when you turn the lights off.
    This is where the Momentary switch comes in. After turning the lights off you have 5 seconds in which to lower the lights to your desired position.

I had previously done the “No Pop-ups on sidelights” mod and this doesn’t affect or interfere with how the Sleepy Eye mod works.

Japanese Drift look for School Dinner money!

Rides
    Just done this, but didn't need to use a toggle switch. Instead we used a normal on-off switch and it works fine, and put the momentary switch in parallel with it.

So when the on-off is on eveything works normally, when the on-off is off the momentary comes into play.

Rides
    When I did mine, I just spliced a switch into the appropriate wire at the back of the headlight flip up switch. Saves mucking about with the ECU.

Unfortunately, my left headlight stops 10-15mm higher up than the right, so if ever I decide to go 'sleepy-eye' I have to manually adjust the lights. Kind of defeats the object of doing the mod in the first place!!

Oh well...

Rides
    mine sometimes does this too....

looks more mong-eye than sleepy-eye.
    HOw do you adjust them manually?

Rides
    Just pop the dust cover off one of the light motors and wind the brown knob until the light matches the height of the other one.

Job's a good 'un!

Fil

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Fil
    When I did mine, I just spliced a switch into the appropriate wire at the back of the headlight flip up switch. Saves mucking about with the ECU.

Unfortunately, my left headlight stops 10-15mm higher up than the right, so if ever I decide to go 'sleepy-eye' I have to manually adjust the lights. Kind of defeats the object of doing the mod in the first place!!

Oh well...
    Clean the motors up, it will be resistance on the gears and drives, give it all a good clean and oil

Rides
    I've done the "no pop-up lights ON mod",

will this work in sleepy mode?

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob-S13
    I've done the "no pop-up lights ON mod",

will this work in sleepy mode?
    yip, looks even better IMO

Rides
    sidelights or main lights?
    I was wanting the main lights to be on while in sleepy mode! I'd try and work it out myself but my electrical skills end at the point where i join 2 wires with a crimp

Anyone done this? there really isnt an authentic sleepy eye look without being able to have the lights on at the same time...

Rides
    bought a on/off switch and a push switch!

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by liquidsmoke
    I was wanting the main lights to be on while in sleepy mode! I'd try and work it out myself but my electrical skills end at the point where i join 2 wires with a crimp

Anyone done this? there really isnt an authentic sleepy eye look without being able to have the lights on at the same time...
    I'm afraid my sparky skills are about as good as yours my friend
    There was a thread on here somewhere where it was mentioned by Razman, i'll have a look see....... searching *rummaging noises*........

Rides
    sounds a wee bit complicated.....
    http://www.sxoc.com/vbb/showthread.p...t=sleepy+light

Rides
    ok, this seems like it would work, but i cant help thinking theres a easier way to do it...

http://www.sxoc.com/vbb/showthread.p...750#post907750

Rides
    I wrote a guide for this not so long ago

http://www.sxoc.com/vbb/showthread.p...=sleepy+lights

Rides
    i did this mod today without any cutting splicing or extras!!!

unplugged the switch that moves your lights,6 wires.

1xlive
    1xearrh
    2x upper motion
    2x lower motion

just plug the two wires that lower the lights back into the switch and hey presto!!

bit of trial and error (1 x 10amp fuse blew) but al works and looks great!!

totall cost... £ ZERO

Rides
    I just cut the brown wire from behind the pop up button, works fine and cost nothing