Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: New SR20 fitting guide

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by matt_j
    What's better about your jap engine? Funnily enough I'm not jealous at all
    The VVT sprocket doesn't die as it hasn't got one, and it's got better air-flow apparently.

Rides
    Just some correction. I expect that on page 9 there should be Connector F1 not Connector F3.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by kenivruh View Post
    Just some correction. I expect that on page 9 there should be Connector F1 not Connector F3.
    Yeah . There's a few small mistakes, I've corrected them in a guide I did last year, I've just not got round to pdf-ing and uploading it .

Rides
    Man. With this guide swap looks like piece of cake

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by kenivruh View Post
    Man. With this guide swap looks like piece of cake
    Wiring-wise it's pretty easy as far as conversions go (CA18 into S14 was harder, VG30DETT into S13 was easier ).

Seeing this, I've just remembered that I should also add all the SR into LHD and 180sx S13 info from people asking me over the years

Rides
    Checking F4 connector I can see that pin 35 is white and pin 36 is pink. They should be b/w according to guide. Just to specify, we have LHD harnesses. Is there only difference in color or also in function?

Edit: After checking S14 FSM it seems like those two CAS pins are for LHD models it totally different connector. specifically F8. Color codes W/B and B/W.
    Last edited by kenivruh; 16-01-2008 at 20:00.

Rides
    The F1 connector - do use the male or the female part?

Rides
    Hi there john, just looked at your guide...

one thing aint clear to me, the F4 connector, is that just the plug with wich the SR20 harness plugs into the S14īs interior harness, or does it have another function? Reason for asking is I want to know if I can just cut the F4 plug off off it...

Also there are two relays on the SR20 EFI loom, and a small brown box that plugs into the EFI on the interior side, what are those for?

Great guide by the way!

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by John Bennett View Post
    Seeing this, I've just remembered that I should also add all the SR into LHD and 180sx S13 info from people asking me over the years

1993 [L] RS13 200SX
    2003 [53] MX-5 Angels
    2004 [04] E63 645i
    SXOC Member #199

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by wantedS13 View Post
    Hi there john, just looked at your guide...

one thing aint clear to me, the F4 connector, is that just the plug with wich the SR20 harness plugs into the S14īs interior harness, or does it have another function? Reason for asking is I want to know if I can just cut the F4 plug off off it...

Also there are two relays on the SR20 EFI loom, and a small brown box that plugs into the EFI on the interior side, what are those for?

Great guide by the way!

Hi, once all the wiring is done you can remove F4 and also the plugs for the S14's ABS and windscreen wipers - they'll all be spare plugs once you make the harness up. The brown box is the wiper controller from the S14.

I didn't give instructions in the guide as I didn't want to complicate things . You can strip a fair amount from the harness though

Pete, I'll get onto it one day.....

Rides
    My brother has a S14a and is planing to swap in a RB25.
    I have a S13 and I'm planing to swap in my brothers SR20.

I have been reading the guide and it seams real straight forward. But I have two concerns:

1. Immobilizer
    I need to swap it over to my S13. How will removing it from the S14 effect that car. I guess the RB25 does not have a immobilizer.

2. ABS
    If I understood correctly the S14a ABS system is hooked up the the engine harness. I need the engine harness and my brother need his ABS...How do we solve this?

Rides
    Thanks for the reply John, but I already had removed the plugs Only the plugs that are used are still on the loom. I also added the ABS wire's from the S13 to the S14 loom and connected the aircon switch wires. All is working correct now, only thing that doesn't work at the moment is the horn. Have to figure out if the horn signal travels along on the EFI harness on it's way from the interior to the engine bay.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by BeerBringer View Post
    My brother has a S14a and is planing to swap in a RB25.
    I have a S13 and I'm planing to swap in my brothers SR20.

I have been reading the guide and it seams real straight forward. But I have two concerns:

1. Immobilizer
    I need to swap it over to my S13. How will removing it from the S14 effect that car. I guess the RB25 does not have a immobilizer.

2. ABS
    If I understood correctly the S14a ABS system is hooked up the the engine harness. I need the engine harness and my brother need his ABS...How do we solve this?
    I'm actually writing an RB25 into an S14/S14a wiring guide now, although it's for a RHD car. Don't worry about the immobiliser . It's part of the S14a ECU. The car doesn't care if the there's an RB25 in there - it doesn't talk to the immobiliser.
    The S14a ECU doesn't care about the immobiliser when it's sitting in the bin

To make the ABS, wipers and other ancilliaries work, you have to keep the parts of the S14a ECU harness that go from the required ABS/wiper/ plugs to connector F4, chop out all the S14a Engine-to-ECU related plugs and wires and then splice in the RB25 harness.

S14 ENGINE BAY <---> F4 = keep as it contains wipers and ABS
    S14 ENGINE BAY <---> S14 ECU = cut and discard all parts as no longer needed
    S14 ECU <----> F4 = cut and discard S14 ECU parts.

RB25 ECU ----> F4 = wire RB25 into S14a connector F4.

If that makes sense (the guide will, if I ever finish it).

Quote Originally Posted by wantedS13 View Post
    Thanks for the reply John, but I already had removed the plugs Only the plugs that are used are still on the loom. I also added the ABS wire's from the S13 to the S14 loom and connected the aircon switch wires. All is working correct now, only thing that doesn't work at the moment is the horn. Have to figure out if the horn signal travels along on the EFI harness on it's way from the interior to the engine bay.

Reading the workshop manual, I don't think the horn is part of the EFI harness. It makes more sense for it to be part of the engine bay/interior harness.

Rides
    Awesome write-up dude!

I am from NZ and in the middle of putting an SR20DET (NZDM) into a JDM CA18 S13.

Do you know if i will be able to follow this guide? I.e. is the wiring the same?

And a side note, i need to buy a CA gearbox/alternator loom, do you know if the SR20 ones and the CA18 ones are the same?

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by ...alex View Post
    Awesome write-up dude!

I am from NZ and in the middle of putting an SR20DET (NZDM) into a JDM CA18 S13.

Do you know if i will be able to follow this guide? I.e. is the wiring the same?

And a side note, i need to buy a CA gearbox/alternator loom, do you know if the SR20 ones and the CA18 ones are the same?
    Glad it's got worldwide appreciation

I think it will be the same. Check that the wire colours on F8 and F10 match those described in my guide. If they don't then I've got the manuals to figure it out. (I do know the 91-95 S13 is a tiny bit different and the kouki is completely different).

I think the S13 SR and CA gearbox looms are the same - I've not heard reports of people encountering problems when swapping them over and I doubt nissan would've drastically changed the plugs by the driver-side fusebox (although I know there's no knock sensor on the SR loom, but they just left the pins blank). If you encounter a problem, again I can work it out, just takes a while as my Japanese is non-existant.

Rides
    Thanks man! Yeah, the only loom i can find is an SR s13 one, and its on an auction site so don't want to buy it if its wrong. My s13 is a 1988 so shes as old as you can get =) As long as the plugs fit i will be happy, as i am just going to solder them onto my SR loom.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/List...x?id=233136672 <-- there's the link to it, not that you can tell much from the pic.

I will check out the wire colours next time im at the car. Thanks again ^_^

Rides
    Yeah that's got all the plugs you'd find on an S13 alternator harness, bar the knock sensor. I'd be suprised if you needed to alter anything - might just be plug and play (into the car and onto the S14 SR20).

Rides
    I'm actually writing an RB25 into an S14/S14a wiring guide now, although it's for a RHD car. Don't worry about the immobiliser . It's part of the S14a ECU. The car doesn't care if the there's an RB25 in there - it doesn't talk to the immobiliser.
    The S14a ECU doesn't care about the immobiliser when it's sitting in the bin
    Are you intended to do an RB25 into an S13 John too? We have a car in bits awaiting an unsuspecting skyline when we track one down.

Ps. I was talking with Ricey who you helped about doing this conversion the other week at TOTB he was having a look at my RBS13

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by malyso View Post
    Are you intended to do an RB25 into an S13 John too? We have a car in bits awaiting an unsuspecting skyline when we track one down.

Ps. I was talking with Ricey who you helped about doing this conversion the other week at TOTB he was having a look at my RBS13
    Hope he wasn't pimping me out for car work

l've half done an RB-S13 guide (and a full RB-S14 guide, albeit needing improvment) - I've just not got round to adding the gearbox/alternator bit.
    I'm just too busy at the moment to finish writing it but if you want the pdf of what's there, send me a PM with your e-mail address .

Rides
    Hope he wasn't pimping me out for car work

l've half done an RB-S13 guide (and a full RB-S14 guide, albeit needing improvment) - I've just not got round to adding the gearbox/alternator bit.
    I'm just too busy at the moment to finish writing it but if you want the pdf of what's there, send me a PM with your e-mail address .
    Great stuff, Pm sent John.. thanks , oh he was pimping you out too lol