Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fantastic new AFR and EGT gauge from VEMS

Rides

Fantastic new AFR and EGT gauge from VEMS

I've had the VEMS AFR/EGT gauge for a while now, but only just got round to fitting it.

Some back ground info is here: www.h-dev.co.uk/site/egt-afr-gauge.htm

And here are some install pics. This was my existing EGT gauge:

This is the new VEMS gauge. From the left, theres the lambda sensor socket, the lambda sensor, the gauge and the serial connector

The cables to the lambda sensor needed to be extended. I used 6 core armoured cable:

And here it is installed

I already had the EGT sensor installed in the turbo exit. I've placed the lambda sensor in the exhaust just after the pipe becomes horizontal.
    Last edited by Jez; 01-09-2006 at 17:43.

Rides
    I've not tried the gauge on the road yet - but it all seems to be working very well

I've not wired in the narrow band output to the ECU yet - but will do so soon.

I'm one of the few UK dealers for these gauges, so if anyone is interested please let me know

This type of equipment is essential if you're mapping a high powered car. And with this gauge you get the 2 key parameters for successful engine setup.
    Last edited by Jez; 01-09-2006 at 17:46.

Rides
    PDC! (pretty damn cheap)

Got to buy a bigger turbo first though.

Rides
    Yup - only £225 inc O2 sensor and paypal fees, an additional £62 for the EGT probe

Rides
    wowee...i really am after this kind of set up but dont have any money.

will get back to you when funds become available
    http://sxoc.com/vbb/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=11238&dateline=1227414084
    Quote Originally Posted by S14 Stu View Post
    I'm not a big ford fan but the RS500 is a legend, you cannot take away from it its Icon status and to suggest that its a chavvy car is like saying Kirsten Scott Thomas is a council estate slapper

Rides
    I'd love one, but then there's probably a hundred things I want Whats the life expectancy of the lambda in the turbo elbow? Would it be better to move the lambda to the de-cat or front pipe do its not subjected to such high EGT's?

Rides
    You need the lambda sensor in a colder place that the elbow I think.

You could use one of these in the elbow: http://www.innovatemotorsports.com/x...cat=250&page=1

Or place the sensor in the down pipe

Rides
    Jez what do you reckon the temp differential is at turbo exit than at exh manifold ?

Rides
    best to place the sensor midway in the downpipe if you want it to last. It just gets too hot and you can and probably will get abnormal readings from the sensor due to excessive heat build up

most downpipes you can buy come with bungs suitable for pluggin in a wideband lambda sensor, so id strongly advise against it, if you want the sensor to last a good amount of time. Alot of the HKS mid/de cat pips have bung holes already welded in where you can simply screw in a lamda and then run the plug into the car.

Each of the sensors are rated for good 70+k miles if mounted maybe a coupe of foot after the elbow. Ive tried the heat sink, its helps a little but I still feel its best to place the sensor a bit after the elbow

The exhaust temps on exit is or can be around -30 to -70odd degrees difference from the testing ive done with my greddy guage tapped into the exhaust housing of my TD05 18g than from the manifold after the head. Fair amount.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by andyf
    Jez what do you reckon the temp differential is at turbo exit than at exh manifold ?
    I find its about 100deg, but the main issue is that it takes a longer time to respond to EGT changes.
    If you're using the EGT while mapping the car to keep temps in a safe window, you should fit the probe as close to the head as possible. I'd then recommend moving it, after the has been setup, to after the turbo - the exhaust gas plasma will errode the sensor after a few k miles.

With regard to the lambda probe, I found that the heat sink works well (I got no temp related errors with the sensor in the elbow using the heatsink) - this saves fitting a lambda probe bung further down the exhaust and makes for easier wiring. If you do fit the lambda probe further along the exhaust its important to mount it in the top, or above the centre line of the exhaust. This is because on engine start up a lot of steam will condensate on the side of the exhaust pipe - if the sensor is at the bottom of the pipe the water can pool, go into the sensor and damage it.
    Last edited by Jez; 02-09-2006 at 09:18.

Rides
    Hi Jez, I would really like a good AFR/EGT setup, but I can't really choose between this one and the plx devices R500...
    please convince me

Rides
    I'm not familiar with the PLX R500 device - so can't really compare.

All I can say is that this gauge is a really good bit of kit. It's configurable to display the following:
    top display:
    AFR or Lambda value
    bottom display
    Ambient temperature or EG temperature in deg C or deg F

It has a serial output that can be used to configure the gauge and also collect data.
    It has a couple of outputs - one that is configurable to simulate a narrow band sensor or can be set to output 0-5v for any AFR range. The other can be used as a driver for a relay to switch on water injection or a relay depending on AFR or EGT.

So basically its really flexible and works very well indeed

Rides
    Any chance of a group buy

Rides
    Maybe - although it'd take quite a large number of people to get involved.

If you're interested put your name down and I'll see what I can do.

Rides
    VEMS AFR/EGT gauge group buy

1. gofaster_s13

Maybe move to group buys section and give details of possible group buy pricing

Rides
    Lifting an old thread.
    I know this meter has the ability to log RPM (and TPS?). Is there any easy way of connecting these if you still run the stock ECU?

Rides
    You can run these easily with stock ECU, they only work off the signal inputs

Rides
    It'll work fine with the standard ECU - it'll even emulate the standard narrow band sensor so you only need to have the wideband installed

Rides
    I like it. I like it a lot.

How much??

Rides