Page 127 of 129 FirstFirst ... 2777117125126127128129 LastLast
Results 2,521 to 2,540 of 2561

Thread: Comprehensive S14a refurb

Rides
    Most of the pics have gone in this thread They are located at media.sxoc.com. Is this a temporary problemo? I'm just trying to find some info I posted a while back on page 84

Thanks
    Last edited by Petrol; 02-01-2013 at 23:08.
    Pete

SXOC Member Number : 317

Rides
    Hi i found a link to this on detailing world as i wanted to read and see the bilt and hamber rust treatment pics but none of them will load, any ideas?
    much appreciated
    Taylor

Rides
    Went to show a friend this thread and also found no pictures. I'm afraid that this thread has now become useless without the pictures. Such a shame

Rides
    Pics have been sorted, thank you
    Pete

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Petrol View Post
    Pics have been sorted, thank you
    Pete, I wasn't sure if the mods had seen your post about the missing pictures, so I reported it to bring it to their attention. Glad they are back

Rides
    Thought it was worth posting up some more info on rust protection, specifically on box section protection and spot welded seams. On this refurb, the shell didn’t need any welding and it was just a case of spraying Dynax in the box sections.
    I know some of you are re-fabricating shells and I’m doing just that on 98 Mini Cooper. The problem is, once you weld you have rust. The heat accelerates the corrosion process and it’s only a matter of time before it spreads. With butt welds it’s easy to sort by grinding / sanding / shotblasting. Seamed joints are a different kettle of fish though. It’s important to get some protection inside the seam as soon as possible. I’m using Electrox thinned about 50% sprayed at 60 psi (4 bar) to force the Electrox into the seam right up to the spot welds. It’s surprising how far you can force the paint into the seams.

As far as box sections go, best protection is zinc primer and Dynax. On the Mini shell, I was tempted to spray 2K colour on the inner sills before I welded the outer sill on but that’s not a good idea. The rust inhibitors in Dynax are drawn to metals and the zinc primer will allow this, think of zinc primer as metal rather than paint. A top coat of colour would make the attraction weaker and the Dynax would not be as effective.

Hope that was useful info
    Pete

Rides
    Pete has a DVD been produced of this fantastic refurb; if not why not! or have I missed it some where.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerry View Post
    Pete has a DVD been produced of this fantastic refurb; if not why not! or have I missed it some where.
    Sorry no. I never got round to it. When the car was finished, I moved on to another hobby of mine and built a small observatory to take astro pics.
    I vowed I would never refurb a car again as I had trouble with my knees on this project. Someone on here told me to sit rather than kneel (Can't remember who it was) but I would like to thank them enormously I used a small table to sit on when I built the observatory, it saved my knees.

I then decided to buy a Mini to restore with my son, the plan was that I would teach him how to restore it. As with any 21 YO, they meet girls and do things 21 YO blokes do - He's in Lanzarote at the mo Good luck to him The Mini really is my last rebuild and it's a full on shell re-fabrication. As most of you know, I am a bit anal about rust and the Mini has it in abundance Some of you might find how I have dealt with the rust in the seams interesting.

Linky

http://www.theminiforum.co.uk/forums...r-13i-rebuild/

I hope that answered your question Gerry

Best

Pete
    Pete

Rides
    Hi Pete, sorry to hear about your knees (feel your pain) to much bending dose my back/knees in, 69 this month maybe that has something to do with it. I wander why sxc have not made a DVD of your refurb then add it into the merchandise section to sell ( who would agree with this ) , would be good for us less mechanically minded owners who love there 200 and like them to last a little longer. Pete your an inspiration.

Gerry,

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Petrol View Post
    I moved on to another hobby of mine and built a small observatory to take astro pics.

Ooooohh sounds interesting. Any pics.

Rides
    Thanks for the kind words. Linky to astro pics. They get a bit better later in the thread

http://www.sxoc.com/vbb/showthread.p...ighlight=astro
    Pete

Rides
    Well done on the Mini, was a good read, took a while lol

Rides
    Apologies for the thread bumage but thought it was worth posting up some info. Unlike this S14a refurb, the Mini has been a full on shell resto requiring huge amounts of welding. The main challenge I faced was protecting the seams with Electrox and in particular, inside of the box sections.

Using an Electrox aerosol with a Dynax cavity injection lance was the solution. (The lance was cut down a bit, on a Mini, you don't have far to reach )

This enabled me to completely cover inside of the box sections. A bonus of using an aerosol is that the propellant causes the primer to bubble offering improved seam penetration. Once the outside of the shell is painted in colour, I will flood the box sections with Dynax. The Dynax will be attracted to the metal (zinc) in the primer and offer long term rust protection within the box sections.

Hope that was useful

Pete
    Pete

Now with 400bhp....
    Rides
    Thanks for the info mate
    1998 Nissan 200sx s14a , 2000 std 5 speed with nismo supercoppermix clutch bn6 Sapphire Blue

Rides
    Pete (Petrol)

Any idea what happened with these pics again

Thanks in advance.

Quinton.

EDIT : No worries. Pics are fine a Tapatalk. My bad...
    Last edited by quintonp; 16-04-2017 at 12:52.

Rides
    Oh yea, please sort out the pictures if possible.

Rides
    The Pics are hosted on SXOC
    I don't know what's happened to them.
    Pete

Rides
    Oh, I get it. Thanks for the fast reply.

Rides
    Love this thread. Should be a sticky if its not already

Rides
    I found this thread years ago and just wanted to take a look at the pictures again. Any chance to reupload them?