Thread: Bloody Vista....

Rides

Angry Bloody Vista....

argh... this is really staring to get to me now...

stable my arse...

quick my arse...

intuitive my arse...

hmnph

my new wonderlaptop is lookin like its gonna be spending its life in the corner... its really starting to narc me off, the way I use a laptop its hugely dissapointing...

today ive needed to restart it twice... its fine when its at home connected to a single access point... but i log onto a dozen or so raming networks... it it recovers from standby not in range of the same accesspoint that it was last in touch with, then it has a tendancy of not enabling the wireless connection... tuning the card on and off sometimes fixes it, but twice its needed a restart... crap.

the laptop takes more than forever to boot... its part of a domain, but not often connected to it, so logon takes an age as it paitently looks for somethig to athenticate against...

i want something in my documents folder... well the 3 system created folders in XP have been replaced with about a million folders now... as has the start menu... i dont need individual shortcuts for every conceiveable task on this nachine

and to top it off... i need to drag a pwer cable to work with me... 2.5 hours per charge...

btw... its a HP with Vista Business on a core2duo T7200 (2ghz) with 2 gig of ram, so hardly underspecced

I think ill be using the 4 yearold mac tomorrow... none of these issues... battery lasts 3.5-4 hours, resumes from standby instantly and no wireless issues, plus its so easy to switch between the non proxy and proxied network configs used at each site... from the apple menu just one click... as opposed to Vista, where its a million clicks...

I was hoing the 'home' 'work' network configs actually did something like this (much like windows mobile)... but no, just another stupid click to work through....

I think i feel better now...

might just glare at some children though...

Rides
    Nothing wrong with Vista when its setup right on hardware that has drivers sorted out for it.
    However, some software is still problematic but you know what most lazy developers are like (microsoft for one)

Rides
    Its not your PC's fault.. its the sh1t software.. you not got a "copy" of XP you can use? Theres loads out there - hell you can even buy a copy too for tuppence.. complain to the place that gave you or sold you it that Vista is **** - DELL are now coming with XP again as they have been told to take off Vista off laptops!

Rides
    the hardware is sorted, as are the drivers... its a centrino duo, so no bodging here... chipset, processor and network card all working in perfect harmony

Vista is fine normally, but its just struggling today when waking up where it didnt go to sleep!!!

Windows always takes an age to login when not connected to a domain... and its just compounding my frustrations today!

I just think im getting mac withdrawl

ohh.. and if i slipped XP (i have legit corporate XP and vista licening to use) onto this machine, the office would kill me and as this was a freebie... i cant complain or they will take it away! hell, they will probably do that when they see me using the mac again!!!

Rides
    I got a brand new base unit yesterday that came with vista.

Ohhh pretty icons fancy fades but none of my games are working yet FFS!

Its driving me mad

How much can you pick up XP for nowadays?

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony200 View Post
    none of my games are working yet FFS!
    I have XP/Vista multiboot. I use XP just for games and demos.

My games did work with Vista but I got one tenth of the fps I´m getting with XP.

Rides
    Im having trouble with vista, cant get any drivers to work for it. Not even from the manufacturers support site files. Give it time and it will be sorted i hope.

Rides
    Drivers are still a problem I'm afraid gents. Most companies are getting their act together but others ......

Dave

Rides
    i have drivers problem espesh since im on the 64bit as well even more troublesome, however I play my main games fine on it (WoW America's Army) with the same FPS as in XP

so far Vista is ok

Rides
    I still use win2000

If it aint broke .................... it aint MS

But seriously, win 2000 takes less time to reload than the others, its the OS of choice

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    I still use win2000

If it aint broke .................... it aint MS

But seriously, win 2000 takes less time to reload than the others, its the OS of choice
    win2k is old and crap, not as userfriendly for my job... XP was spot on... vista i like considering the overheads, surprisingly nippy, but will take a while to get used to... OSX I love and makes my job a nightmare, but oddly my OS of choice!!!

quick... you obviously havent been anywhere near Mac OSX then??!!
    a 4 yearold 667mhz machine with a default install boots faster than a 1.8ghz C2duo and its only slightly slower than this 2ghz c2duo when its on the domain

and provides a much more stable environment! i tend to restart the mac once every few weeks... its always on standby... the vista machine is better than my XP ones, but still had more issues than id expected!!! and it still doesnt resume as fast as the mac!!!!!!!!

Rides
    At the risk of kicking this into a mac v's pc argument i would just like to say.

OSX sucks Balls

Thanks, and i apologise again for the thread off topicness...

Sideays14a is still grumping about the crap mac pro he had ....

Rides
    I am going Mac next ...... nothing to do with the software, nothing to do with arsed brand loyalty ...... 100% to do with its gonna look cool in my eclectic setting of a front room whilst surfing the net and drinking 10oz coffee extracted over 24 seconds from 14 grams of 100% Arabica Brazil Santos coffee

Rides
    I'm about to invest in a mini-mac thing... duo CPU 2GB ram etc for the company to 'test' our product on. I might take it home for the 230 days a year it's not needed here

I have Vista at home (testing ) and I seriously need more RAM for the poor thing... 512MB just doesn't cut it anymore

Rich

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Richy_Boy View Post
    512MB just doesn't cut it anymore
    this is what really fcuks me off about microsoft .... all I want to do is 75% of the time surf the net and the rest of it look at holiday photos and play mp3s

WHY DO I HAVE TO HAVE SO MUCH FCUKING MEMORY INSTALLED !!!!!!

Rides
    I'm with you... at work I spend all day pounding the arse off machines, yet when I come home I want to do the simplest of things - yet they seem to take forever to happen unless you've spent a significant amount of dosh on your PC.

Mine is:
    AMD XP 2500+ CPU (running at 3000+ speeds)
    512MB RAM PC3200

It runs like a complete biatch. Luckily, I've set it up for dual boot, so if the Mrs doesn't want to use it I just boot up into Linux which is muuuuch faster (and just as pretty)

Rich