Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Electric charger mod (?)

Rides

Electric charger mod (?)

I was watching a thread about electrical 12 Volt blowers used as "superchargers" ( ) and made a thought:

Could a blower working when engine is at low rpms make any noticable difference?? It won't make any boost because the air supplied is not that compressed, but it might increase the overall efficiency in very low and low rpms when the turbo isn't able to make boost.

To make a long story short: A 12V blower, a potensiometer conneted to the inlet throlle/butterfly that would control the blower's voltage -> how fast it would spool, a secondary pipe from the AFM to the intake (by-passing whatever has to do with the turbo setup), a big electrical one-way control valve to the end of the pipe that goes from the blower to the intake, and a pressure sensor that would make the blower stop when the turbo comes in.

It may sound rediculous, but would that work and would any difference be noticable?

Rides
    there is a company that makes this that puts out 1.5 psi. it is about 600 dollars or so. cant remember the companies name.

now that i told there is a company that makes this...forget you even thought about it. current draw on the electrical system will be high and its just not worth it. will you notice a difference. well they claim it can make up the about 19hp or so. not worth it in my opinion. forget the idea.

here is the link if you really have to have one.

http://www.electricsupercharger.com/

Rides
    Well to be honest i had in mind just spending about 20 GBP on a small blower and work on it at home, i d never spend such an amount ($600 ) on something like this . I may give it a try someday but i m a bit worried indeed about the current draw you mentioned.

Rides
    Dude, I barely noticed improvement with my Apexi Intake Filter, don't even THINK u will notice some piss like this.

Rides
    i think it would be more of an item to help the turbo spool up quicker so you would feel an increase in low down torque i dont think it was for any hp gain.

Rides
    i noticed a big difference with an air filter.....but this is fruitless
    http://sxoc.com/vbb/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=11238&dateline=1227414084
    Quote Originally Posted by S14 Stu View Post
    I'm not a big ford fan but the RS500 is a legend, you cannot take away from it its Icon status and to suggest that its a chavvy car is like saying Kirsten Scott Thomas is a council estate slapper

Rides
    You'd need an electric blower with tens of killowatts of power and stupidly high rpms to ram the air into the engine.
    If it was going to run directly off 12V (unlikely), think thousands of amps of power.
    It's do-able and it's being researched, but you'll not do it with a kit off ebay, or a few fans.

Rides
    Y not try the model jet engines from Model Stores? ive always wondered about using these, they'd sound awesome too lol.. I think its where hte dea off these Electric chargers was thourght from in the first place imo..

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by PiNiOn View Post
    electrical 12 Volt blowers used as "superchargers"
    They will make your car faster because of the weight saving in your wallet

Rides
    pinion...you opened a can of worms on this one. this is like the turbonator for $69.95. you can add up to 35hp and add increase you mpg 10-22%.

http://www.turbonator.com/

Rides

Like i said, i just wanted to know if this would worth the trouble and an amount of about 20GBP that such a blower costs. Of course I wouldn't expect any hp gain or big difference, but the engine might run smoother at low rpms. The point though is that it would draw a lot of current indeed, so there isn't any overall gain of this attepmt, but again, I was just wondering.

Rides
    If it's only going to cost you £20 do it and report back your findings

Rides
    Yeah, especially when your engine is at full chat and full boost and the fans blades get suck through your turbo and engine.

It's utter junk, you might as well put a party blower in your DV recirc pipe.

Rich

Rides
    Ok Ok, convinced already !! Now back to finding a way to impove that low rpm range..

Rides
    Cams to increase low range torque, smallest exhaust you can get away with to increase back pressure (off boost), tubular manifold, better turbo & elbow to get on boost quicker

Edit:
    Plus a good remap to make all the above work correctly.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by PiNiOn View Post
    Ok Ok, convinced already !! Now back to finding a way to impove that low rpm range..
    SS manifolds have a reputation for LOOSING low end torque in favour of gaining top end power. The first thing to do to improve low end power is to check your timing is bang on or to get a uprated map which has a more wild timing map.

From reading up, low end response is quite an art to get right...

Rich

Rides
    I'd agree with Richy Boy, you'll notice more from getting spot on fuelling for WOT at low revs. I noticed a huge difference from having my AFR at 10 - 11 on WOT at 2-3.5k rpm (slow) before getting it closer to the 12.4 .

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by therookie View Post
    Y not try the model jet engines from Model Stores? ive always wondered about using these, they'd sound awesome too lol.. I think its where hte dea off these Electric chargers was thourght from in the first place imo..
    Somebody else suggested this in another thread just the other day, i.e. using a small jet engine to spool up the turbo at low engine rpm.

I don't know if it's viable, but it would be as fcuk.

Rides
    Have any of you ever heard a jet engine start? It takes FOREVER to get up to speed... and when it does it fires f&*king hot air out the back.

Not an ideal solution to lag IMO

Rich

Rides
    Hot air and exhaust gases i.e. no oxygen left for your engine. That and that need to run on propane or something similar. But would be cool...