Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Electric charger mod (?)

Rides
    Better of buying a huge leaf blower like that famous V8 video clip that was knocking about

My car runs on Propane... hmmm

Rich

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by PiNiOn View Post
    Ok Ok, convinced already !! Now back to finding a way to impove that low rpm range..
    Fit a VNT ball-bearing turbo, fit a 6-speed box, fit a bigger engine ...

Rides
    Are VNT turbos widely available now for petrol engines?

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Vetal View Post
    Are VNT turbos widely available now for petrol engines?
    Nope. Turbo-technics did/do a VNT-28 with integral wastegate, but its Ģ1K...

HKS were working on one in 2006, don't think anything came of it though.

They will eventually start getting more popular once the prices come down, though.

Rides
    we tested a powerful (compared to the usual ones) electric supercharger on a 3SGE MR2 engine over a year ago, just to prove a point.

timed with datron timing gear and rolling roaded it.

no effect at all.

infact it lost a little torque low down with it on, presumably due to extra load on the electrical system.

if you knew how much air an engine consumes, even at idle, youd know theyd not do owt.

Rides
    how much? some 10cfm?

Rides
    have you ever put your hand over the open end of the AFM before, on idle, (if you took the filter off so its just the large afm opening)

your hand gets sucked into it harder than it would a household hoover,

and concidering its not a liniar ammount of extra suction as the revs rise, it gets more and more as the power increases, i think you would be a very very brave person to try and put your hand there with it on boost

Rides
    Come on guys. How many times do we have to go through these things.. No wonder those are made if people are this stupid.

Hereīs once more a comparison which clearly indicates that it is virtually impossible to have any gains with an electric charger.

The amount of air that flows into the cylinder, compared with the cylinder volume, is called the engine's breathing - or volumetric - efficiency. In a 3 litre six cylinder engine, each cylinder has a swept volume of 500cc. If the cylinder breathes in only 400cc on the intake stroke, the engine is said to have an 80 per cent volumetric efficiency (ie 400/500 = 0.8 or 80 per cent). Volumetric efficiency will depend on lots of factors (including how well the ports flow), but let's say that the VE of the example engine is in fact 80 per cent. If this 3 litre engine is revving at 6000 rpm full throttle, this means that it inhales 7200 litres of air per minute (remember, one intake stroke per two rpm), or 120 litres per second. To put it in different units, each minute this engine consumes 254 cubic feet of air. To put that into context, a little 60mm diameter PC cooling fan flows only about 18 cubic feet per minute. So, just to flow the amount of air that this naturally aspirated, 3 litre engine needs, you'd need an array of fourteen 60mm fans working flat-out. And that's without creating any boost at all....

Rides
    Ale I think you didn't read us We are not that stupid as you think
    We were not going to replace our turbos with this electric "charger" we want it to help spoolup the turbo.
    If we take 1.8L with 80% VE at 2000rpm, it's 1440liters of air or ~50cfm. If tiny PC fan can do 18cfm, I don't see why a bit bigger fan wouldn't push 50 (and that would be 1 bar of boost!!!).
    So with your post you actually proved me that it is possible

Rides
    Of course.. a PC fan blowing 18cfm is simply blowing across a heatsink and not trying to create positive pressure - which is where the problems arise

Rich

Rides
    ALE, that is the calculation for a NA engine, a turbo is pressurising the engine too so there is not just the capacity of the engine to calculate,

i really dont have a clue how to work that out personally tho lol

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by m.d. View Post
    ALE, that is the calculation for a NA engine, a turbo is pressurising the engine too
    Thatīs exactly why the example is from a 3L engine instead of 1.8 or 2L.

Quote Originally Posted by Vetal
    If we take 1.8L with 80% VE at 2000rpm, it's 1440liters of air or ~50cfm. If tiny PC fan can do 18cfm, I don't see why a bit bigger fan wouldn't push 50 (and that would be 1 bar of boost!!!).
    So with your post you actually proved me that it is possible
    Wrong. Even if you could provide that much air with a fan it would just mean that the fan isnīt a restriction, not that it helps anything.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Ale View Post
    Wrong. Even if you could provide that much air with a fan it would just mean that the fan isnīt a restriction, not that it helps anything.
    You are correct. OK we will need 100cfm to provide roughly 1 bar of boost. Is it impossible?

Rides

Rides
    What you need is one of these.

Bren sells them (out of a suitcase) down the market

Rides
    Wow, guy has achieved incredible results We would need 1/10 of that power to spoolup turbos much faster

Rides
    Wow, guy has achieved incredible results We would need 1/10 of that power to spoolup turbos much faster
    He says 400 seconds of boost from 4 heavy duty batteries in the boot. Far better to just run the supercharger off of the engine than all the messing around with expensive electric motors, heavy batteries and miles of cable.

Rides
    following on from the jet engine idea check out

http://raceenginedesign.biz/Manic-Beattie.htm

granted its a bit over the top for what your after but inspiration all the same its built by nick mann who had the mad v8 turbo moggy

and a link to a short vid

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=11687nVdzdk

costs a bit more than Ģ20 though...

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by frisbee View Post
    He says 400 seconds of boost from 4 heavy duty batteries in the boot. Far better to just run the supercharger off of the engine than all the messing around with expensive electric motors, heavy batteries and miles of cable.
    400 seconds capacity of his power level would be like 4000s for me. 4000s of spooling up turbo - I probably wouldn't use it in 2 weeks of city driving
    And for me it's easier to put some cables and batteries than to install supercharger pulleys/brackets/belts/control systems.

Don't know why so many people are so sceptical and don't even give a chance to some new ideas (some of which are in fact very old).

Rides
    Don't know why so many people are so sceptical and don't even give a chance to some new ideas (some of which are in fact very old).
    I think its a case of the 'other' methods being easier, cheaper and more viable