Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: t28 bodgery lol

Rides

t28 bodgery lol

just read on another thread by ''playworker'' that the s14 t28 compressor housing can be fitted on a pulsar turbo to allow it to produce more boost.....

this im interested in as for the time being im just running a pulsar turbo as my t28 has quite a bit of play so dont want to put it back on the engine,

so go on then, hows it done, what bits do i remove from the pulsar turbo and replace with the s14 one, (im hoping its the ally side as ive ported mine to match an inlet flange i made)

Rides
    I've heard the same thing but never proved it, would basically give you a hybrid t28 by swapping the compressor housing onto the pulsar turbo, thus using the 2 biggest housings rather than one big and one small as the respective t28s do (s14 turbo runs a small exhaust side big compressor side)

Rides
    IIRC, the compressor housings and compressors are the same, it's only the exhaust wheel and maybe the housing that is different on the Pulsar turbo.

Rides
    the compressor housing is the same size but the exhaust is larger the t28h from a pulsar can safely run stage3 where as the the s14 t28 can only run stage 2 when fitted to a ca18det hope thats some help

Rides
    they have the same compressor wheels, but different turbine wheels and turbine housings

Rides
    where did this larger compressor wheel thing come from, ive heard a few very experienced names on here talk about it???

Rides
    the s14 comp housing is definitely bigger, should be able to get a comparison shot at the weekend

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Sideways Danny View Post
    the s14 comp housing is definitely bigger, should be able to get a comparison shot at the weekend
    Doesn't mean the compressor is any different though, that's the all-important fact

Rides
    taken from the garrett website

http://www.turbobygarrett.com/turbob...o_tech102.html

Compressor A/R - Compressor performance is comparatively insensitive to changes in A/R. Larger A/R housings are sometimes used to optimize performance of low boost applications, and smaller A/R are used for high boost applications. However, as this influence of A/R on compressor performance is minor, there are not A/R options available for compressor housings.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris B View Post
    Doesn't mean the compressor is any different though, that's the all-important fact
    well IIRC the ND t28 hybrid was essentially an s14 front an a pulsar exhaust side, same turbo the HD3 is mapped for too

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Sideways Danny View Post
    well IIRC the ND t28 hybrid was essentially an s14 front an a pulsar exhaust side, same turbo the HD3 is mapped for too
    I have that turbo and I'm 99.9% sure it's not just those different bits bolted together, pretty sure the blades are re-profiled etc.

T3 compressor wheel apparently.
    Last edited by Chris B; 23-08-2007 at 12:17.

Rides
    with a bit of fiddlery t25,28 and t3 bits are interchangeable

Rides
    Pulsar T28h has a 60 trim comp wheel in a .42 A/R T3 compressor housing, 79 trim turbine wheel in a .86 A/R turbine housing.

Standard S14 T28 has a 60 trim comp wheel in a .60 A/R T04B compressor housing, 62 trim turbine wheel in a .64 A/R turbine housing.

So, same comp wheel, different comp housings, totally different rear end.

Smaller comp, large turbine for top-end power (but laggy). Large comp, small(er) turbine for response (but run out of steam).

Fitting a T28 .60 T04B comp to a pulsar CHRA & turbine housing would make a FCUKING SHIT HOT cheap-ass turbo IMO.
    Last edited by Noz; 23-08-2007 at 15:08.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Noz View Post
    Fitting a T28 .60 T04B comp to a pulsar CHRA & turbine housing would make a FCUKING SHIT HOT cheap-ass turbo IMO.
    but would it increase its potential?

Rides
    Ermmm, that's the whole point of making hybrids, innit?

More info:
    SR T28 turbine wheel inducer = 68.33mm, exducer = 53.8mm
    RNN14 T28h turbine wheel inducer = 60.53mm, exducer = 53.8mm.

The smaller difference between the ind & exd on the turbine side means that exhaust gases are more easily expelled (more flow top end), but the downside being this is less efficient in actually rotating the turbine wheel, and hence there is a laggier response.

These are the differences between them as far as I'm aware

Rides
    from what ive been told a bigger ar compressor housing 'can' help fight surge but thats about it.....dont think theres much gain to be had from putting s14 comp housing on pulsar turbo
    http://sxoc.com/vbb/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=11238&dateline=1227414084
    Quote Originally Posted by S14 Stu View Post
    I'm not a big ford fan but the RS500 is a legend, you cannot take away from it its Icon status and to suggest that its a chavvy car is like saying Kirsten Scott Thomas is a council estate slapper

Rides
    Surge on spool-up is due to too large a compressor housing.

Rides
    no its due to too large a compressor....not too large a compressor housing
    http://sxoc.com/vbb/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=11238&dateline=1227414084
    Quote Originally Posted by S14 Stu View Post
    I'm not a big ford fan but the RS500 is a legend, you cannot take away from it its Icon status and to suggest that its a chavvy car is like saying Kirsten Scott Thomas is a council estate slapper

Rides
    lol, yeah Too large a compressor coupled to too small a turbine housing.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Noz View Post
    Ermmm, that's the whole point of making hybrids, innit?
    but as they have the same compressor wheel, 60 trim t3, and the pulsar compressor housing is the smaller of the two, i.e. more orientated towards high boost then if anything fitting the larger t28 housing is going to reduce its bhp potential surley? ... it could possibly reduce the lag slightly.