Thread: neutral switch

Rides

neutral switch

why does the ecu need to know when the manual box is in neutral?? I can`t really se why. I ask coz there`s a neutral sensor on the manual box but i don`t have any wiring for it (converting from auto)

Rides
    ECU needs to know when the box is in Neutral or reverse so you dont get any boost......i think

Rides
    that`s on the s14/a, s13 boost is only contorlled by the actuator

Rides
    anyone??

Rides
    I think it contributes to the map.
    The ignition curve is different through all the gears because the load is different in each gear, I assume it is different in Neutral too because there is so much less load than when in gear.

Rides
    Looking at the wiring diagram for the netral switch it looks like its cut into the fuel pump circuit. Fook knows why though.
    I'm NOT the Chairman anymore, Ken was. He still likes poo though. Its not Jim either now. Ooh ooh, its now Doc!
    Blue '89 S13, 362 bhp, slowly getting more battered. Spec

Opie Oils : MOT-a-Car : DriftWorks

Rides
    Originally posted by Chrissy B
    I think it contributes to the map.
    The ignition curve is different through all the gears because the load is different in each gear, I assume it is different in Neutral too because there is so much less load than when in gear.
    I'm not sure what the neutral switch does but I know the ECU uses the same maps all the time, regardless of gear. It only switches over to another set of maps when it detects detonation.

Rides
    I`ll leave it then, just gotta bodge up the reverse light switch
    it`s got three pedals now though

Rides
    I am doing a sr conversion and canno get any measure any NPS signal. Is it cruicial for the SR20 loom?

Rides
    The neutral switch provides a gnd reference to the ECU when no gear is selected.

For the CA18det, I didn't notice any difference when manually shorting the wire (the sw on my gbox was fooked) to gnd with the engine running.

When I did the redtop sr conversion with the neutral sw wired up correctly, I did notice that the revs dropped slightly from idle when selecting gears (car stationery, clutch in).

So I think it does do something on the SR, nice to have it wired up for a more "complete" system imho

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Jez View Post
    It only switches over to another set of maps when it detects detonation.
    Which is pointless on a stock euro ecu, cause the knock maps are exactly the same than the "normal" ones

Rides
    The neutral switch will change set target idle speed.

The load to drive the input shaft of a manual box is different to the load from a disengaged clutch.

An auto box has far higher load than manual and can be held on the brake in drive at idle.

Open neutral switch may also set different timing in expectation that selecting a gear or selecting drive means the engine is about to come under load pulling away.

Some ecu's switch to a completely different ignition timing in neutral to prevent the engine being revved up so quick that it defeats the rpm limiter.

CA EURO "knock" map isn't the JDM "low octane" map. It's a totally different setting that just pulls the ignition timing. JDM ecu will have same and use it if knock is detected when on "low octane" map.

Rides
    Its pretty easy to get the neutral switch working after converting from auto to manual. You just need to run a cable from the sensor on the manual box to the fusebox under the bonnet.

http://www.sxoc.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=472835

Mine is definatly working properly (I even ordered a new switch) but tbh has not made much of a difference, probably worth doing though.

Rides
    so runnunig without a NS is ok? I have a CA18DET connected to an renault 21 turbo box so I don't have a neutral switch I was thinking of making one but if I can avoid to do so.....
    thanks