Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Xbox 360 Video Store open in UK next week

Rides

Xbox 360 Video Store open in UK next week

http://kotaku.com/gaming/xbox-live-m...eek-329613.php

Useful for fast connections I'm going to download 300 when it does.

£3.20 aparently for HD rentals
    £2.00 for SD rentals

Prices seem very good especially compared to blockbuster... If these ones remaint consistant that is! Obviously remembering we already pay a £5 membership but that already pays for itself as far as im concerned through all the great live stuff.

here are some examples of the titles available for launch...

HARRY POTTER AND THE PHILOSOPHER'S STONE
    HARRY POTTER AND THE CHAMBER OF SECRETS
    ZODIAC
    MATRIX, THE
    MATRIX REVOLUTIONS, THE
    MATRIX RELOADED, THE
    OCEAN'S ELEVEN
    PERFECT STORM, THE
    SWORDFISH
    THREE KINGS
    TRAINING DAY
    FUGITIVE, THE
    RISKY BUSINESS
    SPACE COWBOYS
    EYES WIDE SHUT
    ANALYZE THIS
    DEMOLITION MAN
    ERASER
    EXECUTIVE DECISION
    LETHAL WEAPON 3
    LETHAL WEAPON 4
    LOONEY TUNES: BACK IN ACTION
    MARS ATTACKS!
    CLASH OF THE TITANS
    SUPERMAN III
    DEAD CALM

Last edited by Bayside Blue; 05-12-2007 at 08:29.

Rides
    Yep, I'll try it out with 300 in HD. Been wanting to watch that for ages.. Ideal opportunity too to test out the service..

Altho is it going to stream? or fully download.. on a 2mb connection I'll have to start my download 2 hours before I wanna watch it

Rides
    Stream I assume I haven't got Broadband until tomorrow so I have not updated my console yet - which sounds like a good thing in some ways! But the upgrades do sound good when the update becomes stable.

Rides
    download, no way could you stream a HD movie Unless your on some crazy crazy businesseske connection! and movies buufering in the middle would piss everyone off.

Download then i assume it deletes itself or stops playing after a few days.

Rides
    Bit of both really, you can watch what you're downloading, much like a Quicktime movie

Risky Business FTW! What a weird selection of films!

Rides
    HD-DVD is 20GB? Wouldn't downloading pose a bit of a problem, or is it for Elites only?

Rides
    jeez, I know my NTL connection is 'unlimited' but I doubt it will be long before their contacting me over fair usage!!

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by pyro View Post
    HD-DVD is 20GB? Wouldn't downloading pose a bit of a problem, or is it for Elites only?
    if you have a 20gb hard disc download it in SD (normal DVD size), or pay more at blockbuster for a HD-DVD / blu ray

or get a 120gb hard disc.

i have but 99gb of it is free lol. plenty of space.
    Last edited by Bayside Blue; 05-12-2007 at 12:57.

Rides
    tbh, I'd rather just buy it. I CBA 'renting' stuff but the logistics of 'renting' a 20GB download just don't stack up. So much for 'spur of the moment.'

Rides
    LOL. It's not going to be a 20gb download though is it, i think it maybe compressed .

Apparently it's in wmvHD format... so file sizes are about 1-2gb SD and 4-5gb HD

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by pyro View Post
    tbh, I'd rather just buy it. I CBA 'renting' stuff but the logistics of 'renting' a 20GB download just don't stack up. So much for 'spur of the moment.'
    Different strokes for different folks.

I never really watch a movie more than once as i don't see the point unless you are like my mum lol! As she fails to understand most movies on the first go. So this represents a reasonable saving for me. theres no point me paying £12-16 for a blu-ray / HD movie i'll watch once. unless you can find a DVD in a bargin bucket for £3 etc.

Rides
    You have to download them and they 'delete' after they've been watched. Think you also have a month to watch them before they also delete.

20GB drive is nowhere near enough for HD movies, especially with the other info you have on there, so yes, an Elite or buying the standalone Elite hard drive is your only option. (Bout £120 last time I looked)

Clever eh? No wonder Bill Gates is such a rich !

Rides
    120GB is still piss poor for a HD.
    Can't I just crack the casing and whack a proper 2.5" lappy drive in? No...course I can't. Balls.

Rides
    Adequate for what the system is deisgned for. Comfortably get quite a few game download packs, a few Hd movie rentals and demos on there.

I'm also quite happy now i can play DivX on my Xbox with teh latest update, can i do it on my PS3... No... Will sony likely release an update to do that... no... just get useless theme add ins. It's still just a 30 second clip avi pronstation.

I can also have the xbox linked to my PC and get content that way thus potentially giving me unlimited storage. Extra handy with DivX now.

slightly off topic but...

Physical movie discs are old hat now, digital delivery is just microsoft thinking a step ahead. will people rent out / buy a disc in 5-10 years time? Or will everything be accesible through download - iStore type set-ups?

Just think DVDs aren't that old but they are already virtually obsolete. With Toshiba having said they can break a terabyte harddrive realistically now in one or two years it will only be a few more years before everything is streamed / downloaded. Lifecycles of technology are so short now and getting shorter all the time, software is also way more easy to reconfigure than hardware.
    Last edited by Bayside Blue; 05-12-2007 at 14:29.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Bayside Blue View Post
    I'm also quite happy now i can play DivX on my Xbox with teh latest update, can i do it on my PS3... No... Will sony likely release an update to do that... no... just get useless theme add ins. It's still just a 30 second clip avi pronstation.
    When you come down from your high horse , I think you'll find that Sony are working with DivX themselves!

Anyway, I have a whole 4 gig free on my normal drive, so I could get one movie. However, like Pyro I'd prefer to buy some films, 300 being one of them, I'd also like Heroes and BSG in HD. The problem is I'm not commiting to a format until they blumming well settle it. Although if I see the 360 HD DVD drive cheap enough I may well get one

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallers View Post
    When you come down from your high horse , I think you'll find that Sony are working with DivX themselves!

Anyway, I have a whole 4 gig free on my normal drive, so I could get one movie. However, like Pyro I'd prefer to buy some films, 300 being one of them, I'd also like Heroes and BSG in HD. The problem is I'm not commiting to a format until they blumming well settle it. Although if I see the 360 HD DVD drive cheap enough I may well get one
    I'm ontop of the empire state building i would be higher if i could remember what the highest building in the world is

They won't settle it. a few people (they a likely crazy though) say HD-DVDs are just a token jesture to make a bit of money whilst they make bigger steps to online delivery.

Like office/games/movies/musics on the interweb or google developing simmilar things on digital delivery. Microsoft is trying to steer itself the same way.
    Last edited by Bayside Blue; 05-12-2007 at 15:34.

Rides
    I don't understand how they do this... true HD content.. downloaded onto a 4GB HDD? Have I lost the plot here??

If HD can be put (lossless) into that size then they could have done that years ago on a normal single layered DVD

Either the 4GB is bollocks or the download quality is going to be substantially lower than HDDVD or Blueray, surely?

Rich

Rides
    bayside your such a blatent fanboy you really are lol xbox is balls they are less reliable that a 1980's fiats electrics and louder than an f16

Rides
    not mine you guys must put them in ovens or something. fan boy supreme

still i can't really tell the reliablity of my PS3 as it doesn't get played enough as all the games are best / work the best, without glitches on 360
    Last edited by Bayside Blue; 05-12-2007 at 16:17.

Rides
    Interesting. I'll certainly give it a go (once).

There's a wacky theory from Michael Bay(Blu Ray lover) that Microsoft are backing a loser on purpose to drag out the format war, get everyone pissed off with it then swap to their download platform when it's ready.

Dave