Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I want to drop the OEM oil cooler plate...

Rides

I want to drop the OEM oil cooler plate...

On the ZENKI S14, there is a water cooled OIL COOLER sandwic plate, where the oil filter connects to the block.

I know that this cooler is not pressent in the S14a and S15 engines.
    I guess that Nissan desided, is not doing much, and threw it away.

I want to minimize the coolant hoses under the intake manifold, and was thinking of removing that cooler.

My question is - when nissan removed it, did they replace it with something else to cool down the oil temps, or simply gave up on it and that was it ?

I was planing on getting the TOMEI oil plate, connect a Filter relocation to it, and Later add an Oil cooler.
    Has anyone used the TOMEI oil plate to replace the OEM filter bracket, and relocated the filter ?
    What parts did you exactly use, and what I.D hoses ?

Thanks.

Rides
    Its not an oil cooler, its more of a pre heater. I think its more or less intended to regulate the oil and water temps, to keep them more or less the same.
    AFAIK ALL UK cars have them. All that Ive seen anyway. The CAs in the S13s are the same, the JDM cars using a smaller one than UK.

Nissan gave the European cars diff oil coolers too. JDM cars dint get them. In fact, R34 GTRs that were imported had 3 extra oil coolers that the JDM cars didnt have
    Summat to do with the great expanses of road that we have
    Quote Originally Posted by TAS View Post
    I thought Matt_S invented SXOC
    Quote Originally Posted by 30PSI View Post
    Matt_S is the SXOC. They're the same entity.
    Quote Originally Posted by Matty2Fatty View Post
    Some say that he remembers when the whole planet was just a field & that his body is held together with cable ties and duct tape, all we know is, he's Matt_S

Rides
    Are you sure ?
    I know for a fact that S14a an S15, do not have this. There Oil block for the Oil filter, does not include the coolant passages and connection there is on the older models.

Anyone with a S14a or S15, can look under the hood and confirm this ?

Allso i know for sure its an oil cooler. Its the same like on VW and other cars that were made at that time and erlier.

Its a supresed technology for some reason.

SO....Anyone uses that Tomei oil block ?

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Master Chief View Post
    Are you sure ?
    I know for a fact that S14a an S15, do not have this. There Oil block for the Oil filter, does not include the coolant passages and connection there is on the older models.

Anyone with a S14a or S15, can look under the hood and confirm this ?

Allso i know for sure its an oil cooler. Its the same like on VW and other cars that were made at that time and erlier.

Its a supresed technology for some reason.

SO....Anyone uses that Tomei oil block ?
    As I said, ALL UK cars have the 'oil cooler'
    The S14a lump I have in my car has one, as does every other S14a motor Ive seen. All UK cars.
    However, the Zenki SR20DE motor I bought last year did not have one. I guess, what Im saying is, youre talkign bollocks. Ill check an S15 SR motor when I see one next tho. But as far as Im concerned, UK cars have it, JDM cars dont.
    Some say that he remembers when the whole planet was just a field & that his body is held together with cable ties and duct tape, all we know is, he's Matt_S

Rides
    matts right ya know, all 14/14a's that i have seen/worked on have it

Rides
    I've modified my s13 to do away with the heat exchanger and fitted a sandwich plate in its place. I had to do quite a few modifications to make it work though but it got rid of a lot of hoses that I didn't want there anymore

Rides
    Yep, agree with Matt, All I have seen have the cooler/heater gizmo. Tomei do an adaptor so that you can remove it iirc

Rides
    why would you want to remove a device that helps the oil warm up quicker, and then keep it cooler as well?

Rides
    get one of these

Rides
    I suggest you all download a S15 and S14a Manual, and try to find the Oil cooler thingy in it. On the S14a, meaby you will find it, on the S15, you will not.

BTW: Its an Oil COOLER and not "Heater" or whatever. Its not my invention, its how Nissan decided to call it in all there literature.

I attached two photos to show what iam talking about. You can see how it looks on the S14, and how it looks on the S15. You can allso see in the oil flow diagram, that the S15, has this cooler removed, but no replacment instead for cooling the oil.

For some reason, Nissan decided to remove it from the S15, and some S14a.
    I am trying to find out, basicly, if i can do the same using that Tomei Plate, and a filter relocation kit, at first - without an oil cooler, and later adding a cooler.

EX-CTR : Funny, i just replayed in your build tread. Can you tell me exacly what parts are you going to use to connect the REMOTE Filter to this block. I couldnt find anywhere a remot filter relocation kit, that uses this plate on one end. Alls use, a filter lconnection sandwich plate to the oem filter bracket, instead.

Thanks.

Rides
    my jap spec zenki s14 engine doesnt have this and neither does my jap spec s15 lump

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Grim View Post
    why would you want to remove a device that helps the oil warm up quicker, and then keep it cooler as well?
    doesn't seem an issue with warming up, and I wanted to lose all the water pipes, which are near on impossible to change with the engine in. Will be running a 13 row cooler as soon as the weather turns back to semi nice again

Rides
    EX-CTR : Funny, i just replayed in your build tread. Can you tell me exacly what parts are you going to use to connect the REMOTE Filter to this block. I couldnt find anywhere a remot filter relocation kit, that uses this plate on one end. Alls use, a filter lconnection sandwich plate to the oem filter bracket, instead.

Thanks.
    its a tomei remote adapter plate and im using an apex relocation kit with cooler

Rides
    I suggest you all download a S15 and S14a Manual, and try to find the Oil cooler thingy in it. On the S14a, meaby you will find it, on the S15, you will not.

BTW: Its an Oil COOLER and not "Heater" or whatever. Its not my invention, its how Nissan decided to call it in all there literature.

I attached two photos to show what iam talking about. You can see how it looks on the S14, and how it looks on the S15. You can allso see in the oil flow diagram, that the S15, has this cooler removed, but no replacment instead for cooling the oil.

For some reason, Nissan decided to remove it from the S15, and some S14a.
    I am trying to find out, basicly, if i can do the same using that Tomei Plate, and a filter relocation kit, at first - without an oil cooler, and later adding a cooler.

Thanks.
    Thats a better post. The diagrams are correct. But I think youre looking at UK manual and a Jap manual for S15.
    As I and others have said, UK cars have the 'cooler'. It also helps bring the oil up to temp quicker tho and regulate the water/oil temp. Hence why the oil temps stay lower with just an uprated Koyo rad (like mine).
    As I said, I had a SR20DE from a Zenki and it didnt have the cooler. The assembly is VERY similar to the Tomei unit that Ex Ctr has mentioned.
    But the Tomei one has take offs for oil via proper fittings, rather than having to use an adapter/sandwich plate.

Rides
    How come thoug, Nissan decided, that in some markets, the SR20DET, doesnt need an oil cooler ? I mean, on the S15's the removed it completly, pluged up the coolant outlet on the block, and thats it.

I wonder if i can do the same, utlist i get the money for an OILCOOLER as well.

Rides
    Well, basically, they seem to have it in their heads that us Europeans go mad and do 130mph all the time
    Thats why they fit diff coolers and the bigger rear covers for the diffs, oil coolers etc.
    The UK R34 GTRs had 3 extra oil coolers to the JDM cars.

Rides
    jap cars were limited to 112mph, european cars weren't

Rides
    is it not something to do with the speed. uk cars are restricted to 155mph where as most cars from japan are restricted to 112mph. So things get hotter in the uk car, so they need extra cooling.

I was told by a nissan mechanic that the uk r34 skylines has a couple more oil coolers the the imports from japan. This was because it has a higher top end and they had a habit of running hotter.

May be the same for the 200.

Rides
    bugger beaten by 2 people MUST TYPE FASTER

Rides
    and of course there isn't a uk spec s15, they are all imported jap spec aren't they.

so a jap s14 and an s15 will be the same