Thread: Fully locked diff

Rides

Fully locked diff

hi ppl hope you can help

The car im looking at getting has a fully locked diff. i can see this being a handfull to drive on the road. my question is should i get used to it and keep it or should i swap it out. would i get anything for it and how much would some other diff cost ?

thanks Mick

Rides
    depends what you want to do witht he car, if your going to drift it keep the locked/welded diff.
    If its going to be for any thing else get rid of it.
    A welded diffs worth about £60 IMO.
    Youl pic up a standard one for around £80

Rides
    thanks for responding polo. i would love to lurn to drift but the car would be used on the road alot of the time (i cover about 3k miles a year in my cars). Would it put me in a hedge befor i got used to it ? do you think a welded diff is abit extream for road use or do loads of ppl us there cars this way ?

Rides
    i do about 10k a year with a welded diff, tis fine, get used to it in the summer youl be ok, its not loads differant.
    I know hundreds of people who have locked diffs on daily drive cars, none of them have ever crashed coz of having it locked. But they do all use the cars for drifting too.

Rides
    thanks for the reply m8. i think the best thing would be to suck it n see i dont think its that big a deal to swap out and not a grate cost. all i need now is for bonus to come from work n i can move back in to sx land

Rides
    Just don't drive it like your arse is on fire and you'll be grand. Lots of people daily drive 200's with a welder, only thing I found was getting used to a little more understeer in the wet when driving normally, but its no biggy. Just expect to get lots of odd looks in car parks

Rides
    You'll get used to it, wouldn't worry too much.

Rides
    i´ve driven/drifted a welded diff on my sierra for at least 15000km and as long as you know to drive around the understeer you´ll be fine even when going really fast!

on snow with equal quality tires all around it´s a different matter though.
    it can get VERY weird on the white stuff
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fvoxeuvgCYg

Rides
    my brother works for MX5 city so he drives loads n loads of rwd cars. he tells me when he's driven a 5 with a locked diff the back ends skip all over when going round corners. this is what was worrying me. maybe its coz the mx5 only weighs as much as a nats f^rt lol
    Last edited by Amxen; 13-05-2008 at 21:45.

Rides
    You'll feel the back end skipping a bit on slow corners, like under 30mph. Faster than that and you wont notice it at all.
    I'm NOT the Chairman anymore, Ken was. He still likes poo though. Its not Jim either now. Ooh ooh, its now Doc!
    Blue '89 S13, 362 bhp, slowly getting more battered. Spec

Opie Oils : MOT-a-Car : DriftWorks

Rides
    As a novice to RWD welded diffs I notice it with push on understeer into corners, but it can be driven around.

Rides
    so the diff will try n push you out wide in a corner? gonna have to get on a drift day if i get the car n lurn how to drive it. you still got the broken s15 for sale i see dude.

Rides
    After welding mine drifting was a day and night difference, I could now really 'drift' instead of power-inside-wheel-spin-steer or car-doing-unpredicatable-whatever-it-feels-like recoverys as soon as the inside wheel gripped or lost momentum from the flik flak etc.

On practiclity, as mentioned, I only notice it when parking but only "noticed" it first day, after that it kind of becomes natural. However I rarely park the sx or do town-driving so I'm not bothered, if you do allot of city and parralel parking I'd sleep a night over it before doing it but probably still do it

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Amxen View Post
    so the diff will try n push you out wide in a corner? gonna have to get on a drift day if i get the car n lurn how to drive it. you still got the broken s15 for sale i see dude.
    Thats how I notice it stepping from a viscous LSD to a welded car, but then I am not used to it and hardly drive the car with the welded diff.

S15 is sold, i'll edit my signature

Rides
    out of interest, how does a welded diff affect rear tyre wear ? .... is it noticibly worse, or doesnt make that much difference ?

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    out of interest, how does a welded diff affect rear tyre wear ? .... is it noticibly worse, or doesnt make that much difference ?
    It does wear all 4 tyres faster than normal, rears on the inside and fronts on the out(depending on alignment)
    Not excesive just noticable