Thread: Dealing with people who damage your car.. (long post)

Rides

Angry Dealing with people who damage your car.. (long post)

I only put a thread up a few days ago about polishing the car up to make it a bit 'prettier' as its a bit of an ugly betty at the mo with plenty of minor scuffs and damage caused by idiots in car parks.....

The latest (and last straw) being tonight, left the car at home today and got a lift to work to save some fuel, my car was parked half on the pavement (common round here) in our little cul de sac outside my house, plenty of room for people to get in and out of their houses, the woman who lives opposite, and up a door, has aparently driven into her driveway and pranged my rear bumper. (dozy sod didn't use steering wheel enough) Its mainly just paint damage but still annoying.

I didn't notice it till i came back from driving up to help a mate install his new tv and as soon as i told the g/f, she said the next door neighbour to us said she saw the woman do it.

Now you'd think that'd be easy but.....

This woman has at least one of her adult sons living at the house overnight every night, one of which pranged the g/f's alfa spider a few years ago, she and her son swore blind then that he didn't do it until presented with undeniable evidence and a policeman at their door. They stumped up a £400 cheque very reluctantly.

How can i approach this woman with the intention of getting her to pay for at least half of the bumper respray??, tact aint my strong point and she's not posted anything through our door tonight about it, can see this getting awkward again.

I'll have to go see her on friday as i'm working and out tomorrow till late.

Now with 400bhp....
    Rides
    Will the witness back you up if it comes to it? if so and then shouldn't really be a problem unless the son is a bit on the large side If you know it was her then imo you have to do something as the dosey bint obviously can't drive
    1998 Nissan 200sx s14a , 2000 std 5 speed with nismo supercoppermix clutch bn6 Sapphire Blue

Rides
    if the witness is willing to give a statement to the police, ask the lady if she would like to pay for the damage and you have a witness, dont tell her who though. if she denys it just go to the police and your insurance and let them hassle her for the money!

she might well end up paying for it if you say you and the witness are willing to go to the police

Rides
    i know half of the local bobbies so getting the police to have a word shouldn't be a problem.

I'm sure the neighbour would back me up if the woman denied it, will try think how to word what to say to the woman tomorrow, apart from "you damaged my car you useless b*tch whore, now pay up".

Rides
    if your neighbour will back you up, just call the police and report her for leaving the secene of an accident.

Rides
    i´d take the witness and go to the police straight away!
    the person who damages something is in charge of letting the owner know of what´s happened.
    it´s not your job to go and ask her if she may have done it and if she would be so kind to pay for the repair...

Rides
    Probably comes under failing to report and incident, and leaving the scene, or would over here... useful threats to make if it's the same there

Rides
    as already said,check with your witness and then either ask her outright if shes willing to sort it or go straight to the police and report her. you should'nt feel bad about it, i hate people who think it's ok to drive into someone elses car and just feck off
    and why should you ask for half the cost back get the bloody lot mate,shes the one in the wrong

Rides

Lightbulb

i'm too nice..

The left hand side of the rear bumper already has some paint 'spidering' or splitting due to some 'tard in a multi storey in Douglas, she just evened it up.

I was intending to get it all sorted anyway, just think it'll be easier if i get a quote for prep/spraying the bumper from a local bodyshop and split the cost, at least that way, i'll seem a bit more reasonable and i get some of the painting costs for the car paid anyway.

I'm 'almost' pleased, gives me an excuse to play with making a custom rear plate surround as i hate the lump of black plastic on the back, maybe even look at some spats.

I'll post up tomorrow and let you know how it goes,hopefully i'll have no hassle, she'll have a shock if she's hoping i didn't notice.