Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Nize's S13 - RB20DET Swap - Restoring Project 'XS'

Rides
    Great work. I've been doing a similar resto on an s14 shell. Its good to see work like this being done rather than just scrapping cars.

Rides
    Hey, thanks guys for all the positive comments there and I hope that I can turn all the pictures and info I've got together here into a useful restoration resource for the S13, and in many ways for any other car really.

I've got around 3500 - 4000 pics (How I ever took that many I shall never know! lol ) of the whole resto' so far, so I'll weed out all the rubbish stuff before I put it all together.
    I've got plenty of close-up, fairly detailed pics for anyone who wants to trawl through it all too! Hehe

Thanks again for the comments folks, I'll be back asap with more pics!

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by spice_weazle View Post
    Great work. I've been doing a similar resto on an s14 shell. Its good to see work like this being done rather than just scrapping cars.
    Thanks Spice Weazle
    Yeah I agree there's far too many S-Body Nissans being scrapped thesedays - We need to convince more people to restore them not scrap 'em, definitely!

I'll have to have a good look at your S14 thread as I'm wondering if they share the same rust and rot spots?! Hehe

It would be interesting to see how, or if, Nissan solved any rust issues from the S13 platform into the S14, or if they just didn't bother and they both rot the same way! lol

I've changed a couple of things around the chassis rails to make sure they don't trap water again and a few wee things like that, so I'm hoping it'll keep it good for a good few years at least!

Rides
    13/14 and 15 all rot in the same way and places.

Rides
    Detailed pics of chassis rail repair an an inner sill would awsome all my mates are laughing a the state of my s13 saying it fit for scrap pile but i wanna fix her up not scrap her Any helpful info be good. I never welded a car before but have a feeling ill be a pro by the time she road worthly lol

Rides
    Haha! mouse1985 You'll definitely come out of it as a very good welder! Especially if your car's anything like rusty as this one was! lol

Rides
    I had put these pics on my facebook, and I couldn't resist posting these just until i can get the rest together and upload them somewhere.

A wee sneaky rear shot, not quite finished in this pic but it looks so much better than it did! lol

Car 2.jpg

A not too clear underside view - A bit too dark in the pic but I was amazed how good it looked!

car 4.jpg

And an engine bay shot - About a month ago I think?!

1394389_641798632526487_1600850288_n.jpg

A few more to come... New post needed though.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Rides
    Don't know what happened with the 2 random pics of the hatch there?! lol

I used the rear hatch from a donor car I've got, as the hatch was in a better condition to begin with, and roughly from start to finish, here's how it turned out.

1454549_653802631326087_727467555_n.jpg1458543_653801147992902_1497082601_n.jpg1455963_653801264659557_1175874983_n.jpg1461090_653801977992819_1754656934_n.jpg484753_653802537992763_507903965_n.jpg

And to the next post...

Rides

Rides
    Im haveing trouble lifting my jaw Nize ! That looking awsome how long / an much did it take to do What thickness of material did u use keep the pic coming lol

Rides
    Looks like you have one incredible view out of your house dude!

Rides
    Well done on not sending another s13 to the scrap yard! Awesome work so far

Rides
    Fair play for taking all this fabrication on mate! its looking really good too. I hope the car rewards you with good times!

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by jizzle View Post
    Fair play for taking all this fabrication on mate! its looking really good too. I hope the car rewards you with good times!
    Thanks Jizzle, I hope so too mate, it's been quite a long hard slog to be honest!

Well spotted mate, and also thanks Ross, it's a great view out onto the Clyde from here - never fails to impress me even after 30 odd years of looking at it - And it's nice to just stop and stare sometimes, especially when you get fed-up with fixing Nissans! Hehe!

More pics to come very soon mouse1985 - Just uploading some onto Photobucket and then I'll start to put the start to finish pics on here.

Here's the order I chose to tackle the car in - I decided I had to work in this order to make sure the structure of the car wasn't affected by the chopping and welding etc... So I did it this way:

1: Outer Floor Repairs

2: Inner Sill Repairs

3: Rear of Inner Sill Repairs

4: Rear Wings Lower Panel Repairs and small A-Pillar Repair

5: Front Chassis Rail Repairs - Pass'r Side Upper Rail

6: Front Chassis Rail Repairs - Driver's Side Upper Rail

7: Front Chassis Rail Repairs - Pass'r Side Lower Rail + Pass'r Side Footwell Repair

8: Front Chassis Rail Repairs - Driver's Side Lower Rail + Driver's Side Footwell Repair

9: Front Inner Wings - Front Section Repairs

10: Radiator Support/Front Crossmember Repairs

11: Rear Chassis Rail Repairs - Pass'r Side

12: Rear Chassis Rail Repairs - Driver's Side

13: Boot Floor Replacement

14: Outer Sill and Rear Wings/Panel Repairs

15: Rear Wheel-Arch Repairs - Tubbing the Rear Arches etc

16: Front Inner Wings - Rear Section Repairs

17: Weld-in Seat Mounts, Re-Made a section of Driver's Side Floor at Rear

18: Final Painting Underneath Car

19: Door Repairs - Small Repair to Pass'r Side Door

20: Assembly of Mechanicals etc to Complete Rolling Shell.

21: Final Prep and Painting of Bodywork.

22: Refit Doors, Lights etc and Finishing

I'll start to populate this post with links to the appropriate pics soon as I can... But this is the order they'll be updated in probably too.

Thanks everyone for looking, hope you enjoy what's to come!
    Last edited by Nize; 25-03-2014 at 06:37. Reason: Changed List Order...

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by liamjrhodes View Post
    Well done on not sending another s13 to the scrap yard! Awesome work so far
    Thankyou mate, i hope you'll enjoy the rest of the stuff still to come too.

Rides

Smile 1: Outer Floor Repairs

Time for many pics I think... Finally got to uploading most of the good ones online, so here goes then.

The pics on the 1st and 2nd pages show the beginnings of repairs to the Pass'r side floor, and as can be seen, the outer sills have been removed already - However you can see that I've left the top section and the main shape intact - This is for 2 reasons really.. 1 is because the upper metal is in very good condition still... and 2, the pressed shape with the 3D shape intact keeps the section that's left fairly rigid.

Looking at the work to be done I decided to brace the whole sill top and A-B pillars together by using inch square tube, and then i braced the main length of this to the transmission tunnel and seat mounting/brace on the floor - This gave it full 3-Dimensional rigidity.

Here's how the bracing was added:

Here's the other side as well, with the other cross-brace in place - It was welded onto the brace at the front of the transmission tunnel:

So moving on to the repair of the floor section - The damage was fairly major on the driver's side, so I attempted this side 1st.

The following pics are the results of my 1st attempt at this side, but unfortunately i had to re-do the rear floor section as it wasn't up to standard by the time I'd finished the rest of the car.

Here's the pics - There's only so many of this, but there's loads more of the passenger side, which was similar.

Unfortunately I didn't actually find anymore pics of the actual floor repair pieces on this side, but as you can see I haven't remade the pressed-in sections of the floor here, as i didn't feel it would weaken the stifness of the floor, and i can put up with slightly more outside noise being transmitted up thru the floor.

Basically the repair pieces were a simple 90 degree folded section, cut to fit the remaining floor shape... My folder was only capable of working with 350mm pieces at a time so that's why I had to make it in smaller sections than I would of liked.

Next post for more pics and the next stages - Pass'r side floor repairs and then inner Sills.

Rides

Floor Repairs Continued...

Onto the Pass'r Side now - The majority of the floor was ok on this side, and I managed to keep the original pressings in the floor too, so it looks more like a proper restored floor when it's finished.

So here's the Passenger side:

You can see how much metal is really completely gone in these pics, and the rear section of the floor where the rear seat bottom sits needed a fair bit of work to be able to tie it all together once the sills where done, but this is all still to come.

Hope you like the results so far... A few blow-thru holes and the odd run I had to weld in, so before flatting them down the welds didn't look too brilliant, but after so much practise 1st I was pretty happy with the strength of the finished repairs.

Just a quick shot or 2 to show the extent of the rot at the rear of the pass'r side floor before I started the repairs...

And so, on to the Inner Sills next...
    Last edited by Nize; 25-03-2014 at 07:53. Reason: Addes a couple of pics

Rides

2: Inner Sill Repairs

So onto the Inner Sills - For this I decided to keep it simple and just use a slightly thicker than original steel (1.5mm instead of 1.2mm), and not worry about the stiffening pressings along the length, as I felt that as the sills are mostly in tension or under a twisting force in normal use, that keeping the main section flat wouldn't make the panel any weaker or prone to 'booming' of noise into the cabin.

I started on the driver's side with this, so here's the few pics I've got of these repairs:

I had to add on this piece as I didn't have any lengths of this steel long enough to make it in 1 length... I used 1.5mm thick steel for the inner sill repair panels.

Then I also welded the rear section to the floor edge to keep it all rigid as possible while I worked on the rear of the floor under the rear seat bench support panel... I'll try to include all the major pics here.

This was the panel basically tacked-in with 2 or 3 tacks per stitch.

Still a long way to go though...
    Last edited by Nize; 25-03-2014 at 08:22. Reason: Added pics

Rides
    This is one epic build. My s13s rusty and going to start tacklingit later on today... but jeez I hope its less rusty than this haha

Rides
    Thanks mate, it was a proper basket case really, but it's all done now - Not sure I'd ever attempt it again though, at least not if there's as much rot as this car had!

I've got hundreds of pics to add at some point, but I'm trying to get the car running just now so I'll sort this thread out with some more pics as soon as possible.