Page 146 of 192 FirstFirst ... 4696136144145146147148156 ... LastLast
Results 2,901 to 2,920 of 3834

Thread: EvilChap's S15 Project

Rides
    When it went before do you know what bearing was gone?

From what you were saying when we took the engine out, and the look of the pictures i would be inclinded to say that when they went before (if it was infact number 5 big end last time aswell) it has most likely worn the crank. Then putting the new bearings back in-situ without knowing that the crank is worn has caused the failure of these bearings.

If it wasn't number 5 that went last time then it is likely that the in-situ rebuild is the cause of the problem. And looking at the pictures of the mains this seems quite likely, as it looks as though they have had some slight contamination in them causing the marks. Getting contamination in the bottom end or a bearing not quite seating properly is all too easy to do when rebuilding in-situ.

I don't want to jump in and say thats what definately caused it because its a bold statement without proper inspection....

BUT! its highly likely!

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Evilchap View Post
    OK, that's food for thought then

Oil pump is not good, i'll be on to my 3rd N1 now!

Rods will be replaced with forged items I hope, as will pistons. Going to totally strip everything, to make sure it's all clean and free of evil, so this WILL NOT happen again.
    i have an old bath that is clean i then place the block/head in it and pressure wash it at 70c clearing out the oil-ways in reverse to the oil flow, i was amazed how much crap came out do the same with the crank, hot water shifts so much more shit

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by ex-ctr View Post
    i have an old bath that is clean i then place the block/head in it and pressure wash it at 70c clearing out the oil-ways in reverse to the oil flow, i was amazed how much crap came out do the same with the crank, hot water shifts so much more shit
    your spot on with this the amount of crap we have got out of engines we have rebuilt is silly

Rides
    Hmmm, I dont have an old bath... but I can see the need to do this for sure.

Anybody have any space locally for making this sort of mess? Pressue washing last time I guess wasn't thorough enough

Rides
    If your stripping it all down mate get a local machine shop to dip it. Won't get it cleaner than that with a pressure washer. Acid bath.

Rides
    That is a good plan. I guess head too then... would make a degree of sense!

Rides
    Anybody have an idea about why this hole might not be perfectly round any more?

That's not the one with the munched bearing, just a little wear.

Rides
    Manufacturing flaw, someone filled it with liquid metal or something?

Lightweight Alloy Wheels Rarerims.co.uk's Avatar
    Rides
    Scratches in exeter would dip it for you mate

i'll try and dig out the number

Rides
    Hmmm, I dont have an old bath... but I can see the need to do this for sure.

Anybody have any space locally for making this sort of mess? Pressue washing last time I guess wasn't thorough enough
    Go out and buy yourself a plaster bath - what they use to mix plaster up in only like £15 or my favorite. The dishwasher

Rides
    Dont have a dish washer, and tbh, I cannot afford to take chances, so I will get it professionally dipped, then probably have at it with an air line to be sure.

I guess the head will need the same treatment, and start with a clean slate

Rides
    Dont have a dish washer, and tbh, I cannot afford to take chances, so I will get it professionally dipped, then probably have at it with an air line to be sure.

I guess the head will need the same treatment, and start with a clean slate
    where does having it chemically cleaned remove all the crap out of the oil-ways i had my block dipped, makes it nice and clean like new but you need pressure to remove any particles in the oil-ways, reverse to oil flow and hot water is 100x better than air, you use the air to remove any remaining water, its in the end up to you

Flamethrower
    Rides
    Hi Ben

Let me know how you get on with the crank, I do have a spare RB30 should it be needed

Also I have access to a hot water pressure washer if you need

Dan

Rides
    All good points

Right, Hemel is a bit of a trip to collect a washer

I'll get it stripped the rest of the way and see what I've got

Rides
    Haha, I remebering thinking I could have a go last year I'll do my best, but am not prepared to make any promises. Thanks for the heads up!

Rides
    Woop Woop! Working with cars has perks...

Pistons / Rods on the way

Possibly sorted some mapping / new ECU too, pending doing another little deal

Now with 400bhp....
    Rides
    What ecu are you going with mate, thought you already had a power fc??

Glad things are moving again
    1998 Nissan 200sx s14a , 2000 std 5 speed with nismo supercoppermix clutch bn6 Sapphire Blue

Rides
    Lucky you, I have since ditched the RB26 swap on mine and getting a modded S15 SR20DET from Japan hopefully in the car by next weekend and will finish my RB build at some point in the year and throw it in my ER34 GTT. I just need the car on the road, it has been down for the past five years doing my S14 to full S15 conversion and now all that is missing is the engine that was taking forever so now I bit the bullet and gonna spend it on a running engine. Good luck on your side.
    Last edited by TriniGT; 14-04-2010 at 16:04.

Rides
    I have a PFC, yes, but I am possibly changing to something that can do proper 4d mapping I think it's called, so I can have part throttle maps as well as just a WOT map, should make the car drive much better. Will probably stick with my injectors / turbo for the time being, get it working, and go from there