Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Road & Track RB S13 Project

Rides

Road & Track RB S13 Project

Hi All, Starting my own little RB project after reading soo many on here and other forums, having owned two rovers as my first two cars I moved over to Nissan with my first 200sx S13, I saw about 300bhp with it and it was the best car i had owned and fell in love with the shape. I then found a new job and a company van. Having the van I was boared of not having a car to blast about in. This started my Kawasaki ZX9 Engined Locost 7 project which went great and was amazingly quick off the mark. After the summer (what we had of it anyway) this went up for sale making me a nice profit too, moving to something with a roof I went back to rover with another 214. This time I went the full works stripping the car to a shell and rebuilding it from the ground up with a 2.0ltr turbo T16 engine, full cage and rally prep, with rally and track being the ultimate intention. I still have the car which I have put so much time and money into, it really does handly like nothing else on the road and with about 260bhp is pretty quick. £4k for sale please.

1st Rover - 214 (I Know)

2nd Rover -218

Nissan

Locost 7

!!! Rover 214 - 2.0ltr T16 converted MG ZR Replical (For Sale £4000) !!!

Full project thred on Rovertech.net : http://www.rovertech.net/forum/viewt...p?f=10&t=80226

Which has brought me full circle back to the S13, I have always yearned for another one and the thought of a RB converted tidy road going black one sounded great. Something a bit more practical, that can be driven like a car and not a pure rally machine. I picked this one up for a mere £1000, automatic, with only 60k miles on it, full nissan service history, some tidy wheels, exhaust and tints. bargain, it really is immaculate and in black looks superb. Its going to be kept looking stock with the addition of some GTR's or similar wheels and big brakes. Here are some pictures before the project was underway, about a month ago:

Rides
    First thing to do was remove the old boring stuff that I dont need, like the Ca18det , standard suspension, gearbox and intercooler. Car now lies on apex performance coilovers at the rear, top bits of kit by the looks of things. Not much rust at all anywhere on the car.

Rides
    Here are some pictures of the RB, 50k miles out of a very tidy standard import R33 front damaged, got the engine from skylinepart, japan imports think there the same company, the guy Anthony runs in the JDM all stars, top fella, sorted me out everything I need for £1500. Couldnt complain as he is on my doorstep and offered a guarentee and any further parts if i have any problems. Compression test was done and came back spot on. His car is below, its a RB26.

Well that will do for now, hope everyone enjoys reading, im usually pretty quick with these projects, will keep uploading regular pics and updates as and when their made. I will more than likely need some help at some point too.

Cheers All
    Ian

Rides
    Keep us updated, lots of rb s13 coming out of the wood work now.

Kev

Rides
    nice tidy car to start from. you going for the sleeper look?

what other mods on the engine are you planning?

i see spiderman was in your van when you picked the lump up

good luck with the build. looks like you do your cars properly

Rides
    Impressed with the Rover and i don't like them.

Banned
    Rides
    Also impressed with the rover.....and i abhor the damned things lol.
    Like the zx9 project as well

Rides
    Little update, I been pondering over the wiring all day, managed to free the looms from the engine / s13 chassis and start to clear the engine bay.

Also cleaned up the RB, painted the spark plug cover, polished the plenum, intake pipework, painted the heatshields in high temp paint, drilled the holes just for aesthetics - and gave it a general clean up, what a sexy engine. I am going for a factory look with this using black silicone hoses for the FMIC pipework. I decided to keep the gold coated cam covers, had them off to paint but changed my mind in the end. Looks subtly and very clean.

Started to clean up the engine bay also in the dark, not very exciting but its a start, primed it in zinc primer (didnt have any hamerite and this was free from work). I am going to do it all satin black to finish.

Rides
    Got a decent finish from work today so made the most of it and started on the engine bay. This is using hammerite rust remover, paint it on and it goes from blue to black removing the rust. I’m pretty impressed to be honest. Also sprayed ludicrous amounts of engine degreaser to the engine bay and surrounding areas, going to sand and spray her up tomorrow hopefully. Satin Black.

Rides
    Got the bay finished, painted and fully cleaned, just need a clutch put in before the engine can take place in its new home.

Rides
    Nice spraying

What did you use to spray it (cans, gun etc) ?

Rides
    Clean and tidy job

Rides
    Looking good mate

Rides
    Impressive
    Out of curiousity, why did you sell the locost? I've allways wanted to own a Seven style car.

Rides
    Cheers for the nice comments all, I just used cans to spray it, satin black is very easy to get looking good, I aint expecting it to last forever but if it gets dirty you canalways just spray back over the top, lol. I love the stuff.

I sold the Locost because I wasnt very happy with the diff ratio at the time, it would limit at 105mph at 14k RMP with 6 gears. It got there in about 10secs mind. Was hitting a 0-60 time of about 4sec. Great fun but i decided to go to something with a roof, you have much more confidence when your enclosed.

Cheers
    Ian

Rides
    Another little update, just boring stuff at the moment really, made some further prep in the engine bay pre engine. I had a couple of small holes to the nearside chassis and passenger footwell so welded these up.

Bashed in the baulkhead slightly at the transmission tunnel, its an Automatic so possible didnt need to do this but might as well not risk it. Also cut of the ABS support bar and welded that back on giving clearance for the RB (as shown with the little red arrow).

Ian
    Last edited by Ian200sx; 28-09-2008 at 19:32.

Rides
    Cool, looking good so far! ^^^ That stupid ABS support bar gave me no end of trouble, seems so strong too! Looks like you've done your homework and moved it right out the way! Keeping an eye on this thread.....

Rides
    You could of just removed the abs My abs is removed for my conversion, makes the engine bay so much tidier to... Anythin i dont need is bein binned

Im Just about to spray my bay now to, just waitin for a good day... Its looking good tho, keep it up

Rides
    Cheers, there seems to be a few people on here at the same kind of stage, im just looking for a clutch cylinder and pedal box now before the engine goes in, its ready too. Oh and the wiring needs sorted,,,
    Last edited by Ian200sx; 02-10-2008 at 19:15.

Rides
    Yeh, its good as it reminds me of things i gotta do still

All im waiting for are the mounts, have everything now so hopefully as soon as they come i can get it runnin