Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Road & Track RB S13 Project

Rides
    Took advantage of the dry weather today (for a change).
    Collected a clutch master cylinder and pedal assembly from 'BUCKIE', cheers bud

Croped the automagic oversized brake pedal, marked (punched from inside) and drilled the baulkhead. Drilled with the aid of a hole saw and fitted, averything lines up and everything is there for the pedal assembly, Top stuff. Some nice NISMO pedals to come.

Removed the old plugs, which were NGK iridiums so at least the engine was looked after, and fitted 6 new denso IQ24's. Also fitted my new NISMO oil cap,

Dropped the R33 subframe off the engine to drain the oil from the RB and removed the oil filter, fitted new Nissan genuine part filter ready for oil when the engine is in the s13.

Mated up the S13 steering rack to the R33 subframe, the larger R33 pipe (to the tank) can be used it just slips onto the hose where the S13 one was. The feed to the PAS pump was a bit trickier, carefull shaping with my bare hands, thumbs pressing, (get me) taking care not to crease it. After a bit of time it was to a decent enough shape, re-fitted the retaining clamps and cable tied the rest just to make sure, its now fitted back onto the RB ready for the gearbox and heater matrix hoses to go on.

Thats all for now, hopefully sold the Rover 200 MGZR this week so that should free up some funds.
    Cheers
    Ian

Rides
    Got a spare 5 mins over my lunch break today so I sanded down the gearbox with a wire brush, also used a drill and wire head attachment. I then washed the lot down with white spirt and blew off any alloy dust. I used a metalic high temp silver paint for the box, came up superb, looks like polished alloy.

When I got back from work I fitted the gearbox and starter to the Rb engine, what a monster this lump is, hoooge setup with the box on.

Ian

Rides
    nice

Rides
    Right then, made some good progress today.

1st up went to pick up my mocal oil cooler from the interlink depot. DRIFTWORKS supplied the kit which woks on a thermostatic sandwich plate only allowing oil to be diverted at full temp, its a 19row cooler. Looks great and the service from Phil is the best I have ever received. Very helpful and superb next day delivery - they even chucked in a wham bar which gave me some energy for the day. Cant recommend them enough. Here are some pics of the hoses and sandwich plate fitted to the RB.

Next up I called in at plum base to get these copper reducers, 22mm to 15mm. These combined with the s13 hoses and skyline hoses fitted to give feed to the heater matrix, I have heard of people using a pug diesel hose but I had loads of hose lying around and managed to knock something up. These were £3.

Right, time to maneuver the engine in place, not easy by yourself! Lifted the car up 1m off the floor to give clearance for pushing the engine complete under the bay. Using an old trolley I had, the rear was completely bottomed out. Tied the hubs up out of the way with sonme rope.

Rides
    Next lowered the car down a little and lifted the engine into place, sounds easy but took a good few hours, had to remove the front chassis mounting points / bracing beam. Gearbox lined up into place, will cut n shut the mount tomorrow, and the R33 sub frame slid into place, better fit than the s13 one. . Time to start plumbing things in and somehow sort the wiring.

Cheers
    Ian
    Last edited by Ian200sx; 11-10-2008 at 18:04.

Rides
    awesome little thread.

how much work is involved in the wiring?

you've made it all look so simple so far lol

Rides
    another RB'd s13 on the way...
    damn...
    lololol

Rides
    The wiring I havnt even looked at yet, scared tbh. lol Can anyone help with the wiring?
    Here are the pics from the compression test I had done. All pretty much equal or there abouts.

Think 120psi - 8.5kg/cm is what there suppost to be at, or 9 is great?

Ian

Rides
    Just bought this also, its made for a R33 GTS-T so shouldnt be to hard to make fit, huge and its nearly 4" thick. Paid £120 for the kit collected, was from a local lad on e-bay. Think im going to use new hoses, black samco's to keep a stock looking theme going.

Rides
    Damn you, its coming on quicker than mine

Looking good bud, glad u got the thing in there anyway, will have to watch for some hinters when i attempt mine this weekend Oh and for the wiring, nize or buffy can do it off here, mine was done by nize

Rides
    Managed to get some more done today. Firstly bundled all my wiring up and box'd it up for posting, it's going to someone with a bit of wiring talent, buffy to be precise.

I modified the gearbox mount for fitting, basically involves extending the mount aprox 50mm and re-drilling. I used some 4mm plate I had lying around.

Also modified the radiator mountings, removing the viscous fan mounting points. This was then fitted and the upper and lower hoses atached, I used a combination of CA18 / RB hoses to get the fit, modified CA upper and standard unmodified RB lower. The radiator had take offs for cooling the auto box, these were blocked with a couple tight fitting deep thred screws.

I had a twin fan setup from my MGZR project lying around, I fitted a slim fan when I got the hooge intercoller so this proved excelent for the Nissan. Its from a rover coupe turbo, I shortened the mounting frame by a couple inch and re-welded, also cut of the rubber lugs of the base and the mounting points from the top, it fits so snug its unreal, the front bracing and locking mech even fits unmodified.

Finally played around with the intercooler hoses, thing I can manage to get one side complete with only the offside needing another pipe made up. Hopefully it sits lower then the RB Streeto project car, so that it clears the bonnet.

Thats all for now folks, need to get the prob made up. Dnt know of anywhere local? Did all this today with conjunctivitus, my left eye is completely fooked. Probs not the best idea to go welding etc but it took my mind of it at least + it beats watching the snooker.

Ian
    Last edited by Ian200sx; 19-10-2008 at 20:43.

Rides
    Keep up the good work mate it looks a top project..

Rides
    Awesome project mate,well done keep up the pics! you make it look bloody easy mate tbh good skills there,makes me feel mine is sooo drawn out

Rides
    looking good !
    a few more days/weeks and it's completed... nice

Rides
    Couple more things, replaced the Right bottom wishbone as the balljoint was shot, also cleaned up my 2nd hand Apex Coilovers, they now look NEW!
    All suspension is now fitted apart from the anti roll bar which I still need to have a look at, going to try and space it down to clear the sump if possible, has anyone got a nearside drop link for sale, as mine snapped when i took it off?

Also fitted the hoses for the heater matrix, had to drop the gearbox back out because it had got trapped between the engine and bulkhead, see its not all straight forward. Heres are a few pics and another showing the fans with the front bracing back on, over the moon with the fit of this. As if it was made to be there.

Cheers
    Ian

Ian

Rides
    Excellent work mate

Rides
    Very nice work

Might be time to consider a brake upgrade now though?

1993 [L] RS13 200SX
    2003 [53] MX-5 Angels
    2004 [04] E63 645i
    SXOC Member #199

Rides
    Yeah think your right, thinking of going GTR Brembo's

Rides
    see how much they are going for but i would advise something like the willwood conversion that DB power sell, very very good value for money.

great thread by the way, really coming together now, glad to see another s13 with the engine that it was meant to have

Rides
    Just got a PM from buffy' and the wiring is on its way back to me, unbelievably quick job, top service! , need to really pull my finger out now and could have it going in a week or so.

Shame I missed the DB group buy on the wilwood kits, used wilwood on my kit car and they worked a treat, at £500 I would have been very tempted too. I am going to get it on the road first mind, then when the weather starts to get better next year I will be going big brakes and full adjustable alingment all round.
    Last edited by Ian200sx; 23-10-2008 at 22:19.