Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Road & Track RB S13 Project

Rides
    Rite thn, got some progress done this weekend, got the loom back, its spot on everything labeled up ready to go since im a numpty , cheers again Buffy. This slotted into place, so easy when your just plugging things in, although it was hard getting to a few places with the engine in situ, but it can be done!

Got an air filter adaptor and fitted a 3" blue mugen air filter I had lying in the shed, cleaned it up first tho (dishwasher).

Started to fit the FMIC, I used a bit of 30x30 RSA I had lying around, its already gavlanised so should out last the car, lol. Sat this above the front crash bar mounts and bolted it on, cooler slid up behind after cutting some of the underside away. Also fitted my Mocal oil cooler to the front crash bar, this was done by cutting the two holes out using the viscious drill bit in the pic below, 4 holes mounted the cooler as sturdy as hell. The FMIC also bolted up nice and tight, no chance of either moving.

Cut bottom brackets of cooler.

Box of bits collected thro turbo owning years!

I could now start to position hoses for the cooler, right side fits up nicely with the standard Skyline WMIC hose and the aftermarket piece, left side might be a bit harder, need some more time on it.

Also got my prop off the car, measured up and sent to the Prop Clinic in Bradford, hopefully get this back by next weekend.
    Last edited by Ian200sx; 26-10-2008 at 21:20.

Rides
    Looking good matey. Won't take you long to get it running now

Rides
    nice job. a few more days of work and it will be on the road in no time

Rides
    Why is the oilcooler in front of the ic?

It's a good way of pumping heat into your FMIC.

Rides
    Room and the convenience of mounting it on the crash bar, surly it wont effect it that much, as air will be passing through at some speed? Or will it? It's mounted 1" from the face of the FMIC.
    Last edited by Ian200sx; 27-10-2008 at 19:17.

Rides
    They don't flow a huge amount through them and they get furkin hot, it only looks an inch away tops, it also covers a 3rd of the frontal area of the FMIC.

99.9% I have seen are behind the FMIC as the air flow though the fmic is greater than the oil cooler and as they are behind the fmic they are not affected by the radiant heat and heated air from the oil cooler as much.

Rides
    Yeah I see your point as very valid m8 but its much easier to mount it up front like that, there is no room behind. The oil is going to be about 70oc maybe by the time it reaches the front? What temp is air going into the intercooler going to be at from the tubby?

Has anyone mounted these down by the fog lights with any luck?

Rides
    mount the oil cooler underneath the battery by chance and use a smaller washer bottle. will keep the heat away from the intercooler and you could vent the bumper as like the passenger side for a wing mount?

just a thought really

Rides
    I will have a blast this weekend at moving it, this is a little sketch of the prop im getting made up. Also bought a load of Silkolene engine and gear oil, 5w 40 and 75w 90. £90 well spent! ouch. SXOC discount from http://www.opieoils.co.uk/

Ian

Rides
    Cheers for the diagram bud, will check the measurments etc tomorrow, i think the rear auto prop will be the same due to the centre mouting and bearing, cant imagine itll be diff

Cheers and good luck with yours bud

Rides
    Good progress mate I wouldnt put the oil cooler in front of the fmic either Im planning to put mine to one side of the fmic and make some form of ducting to create a ram air type effect,failing that Im just gonna mount it behing the fmic as stated above

Rides
    Hey All,

Took the correct route and re-positioned the oil cooler behind the FMIC, made up a galvanized bracket and hung to over the back. Filled it with oil first so that filling the engine the correct level should be easier. The putty type stuff you see is to stop it bashing of the FMIC, its heat resistant. Also fitted the Revotec fan controller and wired it up. Exhaust was next, the standard s13 cat fits the skyline downpipe superb, all fits really to easy. Need to put a bracket on tho to take the strain of the dopwnpipe. Just using exhaust paste for now, once its got an MOT I will be going to get a full straight through system anyway. Prop shaft came back, they did a superb job of it, for £60 it must be the cheapest one been made on here?

Oil Cooler Bracket

Cooler Fitted, very tight

Revotec fan controller.

Fan Controller Relay & Earth

Cat Mounted to downpipe

Propshaft Clinic,

Exhaust and Prop Up

Thats all for now, got a list compiled and i am off work on Thursday so will hopefully try and wrap the car up in the next week.

Cheers
    Ian
    Last edited by Ian200sx; 02-11-2008 at 18:26.

Rides
    Got some good progress done today and with a bit of luck it will be up and running tomorrow.

Here are some pics of the intercooler pipes, its just a combination of the skyline intercooler kit pipework and the standard stuff. Painted black its very subtle. Just clears the alternator, tucking the pipe below the rad cap allows the bonnet to shut without any problems.

Made up a little bracket to fit the throttle cable, really pleased with this.

Fitted the fuel lines to the engine.

Fitted the Mocal braded clutch line.

Trimmed the underskin of the bonnet to allow it to shut, started off with little bits but then took the whole lot of in the end, it kept catching, I used grease on the highest points to find out where to cut.

Fitted the new anti roll bar droplink to standard roll bar.

to Continue Sunday...

Rides
    well done fella,you sure have been busy over the last few days its coming along nicely and I like your throttle cable bracket keep up the work rate and the pics J

Rides
    ian you have some skills mate to turn a car around that quick loving it

Rides
    another RB'd S13 ont the way to finished... looking very good too.
    congrats.
    and...you know... when you have it running... post up some vids :P lol

Rides
    Well I didn’t get it started today, could have but I’m keeping the excitement at bay waiting till I get her completely finished, otherwise I might lose the momentum.

Fookin cold, wet freezing day halted progress a bit but managed to get a bit done. Pics are crap like the weather.

Fitted the anti roll bar, I spaced it down approx 10mm using some little top hat style things, come with seatbelt harnesses to allow a pivot when mounted. Came in handy here, still plenty left on the thread to get a good hold! There is about 3mm clearance from the sump, not to bad. Good reference for anyone attempting this problem I’d say.

Tight ^

Made up an exhaust mount to take a bit of the weight off the manifold, this uses an old rubber bush I had lying around, between two bits of steel to give movement.

Wired in the lambda and 2 stage boost controller. Just little bits that needed doing. Also finished attaching the alternator and starter terminals. Didn't get any pics my fingers couldn’t operate at this point.

Filled the car with 5ltrs of engine oil and the gearbox with 4ltrs gearbox oil. Also roughly filled and bled the clutch line.

I have one more bit of wiring to connect up, its water related but cannot for the life of me find out where to plug it in, I labeled it up so it defo came out of somewhere? Can anyone help? Very hard puttin the loom onto the engine in situ.

Just need to attach the battery, fill with coolant, bleed the clutch, tighten up the prop, fit gear lever, fit bodywork and were off. Watch this space.

Cheers
    Ian

Oh and vid's will be comming up, similar to the first start up of my Locost kit car with the kawasaki engine. But without the gay comments from the m8's / parent and the right way up this time! lol with a bit of luck.

Watch More Videos       Uploaded by www.bebo.com/1an200sx
    Last edited by Ian200sx; 09-11-2008 at 19:40.

Rides
    Good thread mate, any objections to me nicking the propshaft diagram off this thread?

Rides
    Go for it mate. Tho I would check the measurments with your car first.

Rides
    Well what a nutcase I am,

Spent the last couple nights working on the car as it was dry. Just been doing stuff in the dark, outside using an old heater as a light as my lead light has broken. Very cold don’t know why I bother, social life has been non-existent this week!

Anyway managed to get the wings and wheels back on, gear leaver attached, combination of sx and skyline shifters, water and anti freeze in, battery on, all wired up ready to go, lowered it down, jacked it back up again, raised the suspension, lowered back down again. Then attempted to start her.

Here are some pictures of when it was first put back down, managed to catch these this morning before I set off for work.

Right then, turned the key, nothing! Fooking annoying bleep from the immobilizer, tried to re-program this several times but to no avail. Preceded to remove the immobilizer, it was spliced into the door lock and ignition barrel and is now out of the car. Wires taped up / reconnected.

Try again, nothing…. Battery is fully charged, jumped of my van just in case, Nothing. Sick as fook would have really warmed me up and was the only motivation for working in the cold and dark.

Left it for now, need to have a proper look at it, very nervous as I completely hate wiring and I cant handle the complication of it all!

Ian