Page 11 of 22 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: Some pics of my track car

Rides
    No f**king way.... Never have I seen an s14a with so much added value

coD11
    I just have one word for this car, and that is STUNNING! Keep it up!

Rides
    Right, ill try to get the last of the pics posted up tonight.

After the 'trial build up' was finnished, it all had to come apart again to be prepped and painted.

The engine came out again and was striped of all the ancillaries, then cleaned up.

All the metal brackets were sand blasted and painted.

I also re routed the water pipes below the inlet manifold, made a Blank for the servo outlet and a plate to cover the old egr outlet. Fitted the sump, fpr adapter, oil block adapter, injectors etc. The water pipes are not on in this picture, nor the throttle body which has been bored out to 60mm. I have also bypassed the cold start on it.

My subframes were sent for propper media blasting and then i seem welded them up before taking them back to be zinc coated.

It was surprising just how much flex they have, even by putting a large screwdriver through the mounting holes and pulling on them.
    So i added some extra bracing

Rides
    oh...my...god, love it mate

Rides
    awesome once again dude

Rides
    everybit of this build has soooo much thought gone in to it. amazing!
    SLIDEMOTORSPORT - Find us in the traders section or call 01977 647277

Rides
    When the rear wing eventually arrived, i had to start doing a bit more chopping and welding.
    I wanted to do something a bit different with the mounting, but still keep it stiff and functional, and not put on any extra weight than necesary. There was no way it could be mounted on the boot lid. I have seen some which flex around a lot, but i think it would just get ripped of a fiberglass boot.

So i decided to mount it to the chassis but keep the bolts below the bodywork. It was a bit of a test to see if i could do it more than anything really but it payed off.

First problem was that i needed to make some new supports for the wing, second was that the boot lid gets narrower toward the rear of the car. So when the supports were trial fitted between the boot lid and rear wing, they effectivley toe'd out (quite a bit)

A Wing needs negative pressure underneath in order for it to work, and this would have created positive pressure. To what extent i dont know, or if it would have made a difference, but i decided they needed to be parellel anyway.
    So i chopped it out

Made 2 more mounting faces with the mounting holes already drilled and tacked them in

Then welded a channel down the bottom for the water and some strengthening etc. This is it in primer ( i did actually use a tiny bit of filler here to smooth over the welds)

I also finnished off the boot floor with a thin sheet of ally rivetted in, with vents for any petrol spillages. Again in primer

So that was the last of the messy stuff out of the way, the whole shell got scotched up and the garage cleaned out again.

Then i painted it all in pure white, 2k direct gloss.

Rides
    Cheers lads, im just on with the last few pics now

Rides
    Then i had to give it a week for the paint to go hard so i could mask onto it (no lowbake oven at home!)

Then the rest went satin black, again 2k

Then bits started to go back in.

Sorry about the bad quality pics at this point, my camera had run out of batteries and stayed like that for quite a while.

I didnt get many pics of the prepping and painting of the panels, as it took ages and was very boring considering i do it all day long anyway.

So the next bit looks like it comes together very quickly, but in reality it was about 6 Months!

Engine went in,on propper mounts, finally.

Most of the pannels painted

Engine bay coming together

Manifold and turbo trial fitted while i made the front section of the exhaust.
    It came back off again for the whole thing to be lagged. I used 100ft in total

Sills fitted

Rides
    Vents in the boot floor, rear window vents, bracing the subframe etc, mate you really haven't missed a trick. This thread just gets better and better. Mental yet inspirational, well done again sir. May I ask where you got your inspiration and help? With a car this great I really think you need a special engine, 2JZ FTMFW!

Rides
    This version of the 2871r doesnt come with the actuator, nor a place to bolt the normal actuator bracket on to.
    So i had to make my own, and also shorten the arm of the actuator, as the only place to bolt the bracket to is closer to the core.
    I also ported the wastegate hole while i was there.

Random one from a nice angle.

Quick one of the wiring, This took a few weeks alone.

Two of the final fit of the front end.

I put Ben (MARSDEN) in charge of all the stickers as thats what he does best
    I had the Nissan in my mind for ages but was unsure if it would spoil it. But as soon as they went on i loved them. Cheers mate
    Just want those little silvia ones now for the corner of the headlights

Just got to get some black mesh to go in the ducts to stop gravel getting in my brakes etc, sort a wiper arm ( i have a different wiper motor now too, which is a long story.)
    And make some shit shields.

So thats about it, Thanks for looking, hope to see some of you out on track some time

Rides
    reminds me of the JGTC calsonic skylines
    Last edited by s14_dave; 08-10-2008 at 21:49.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by BLAKTOOTH View Post
    Vents in the boot floor, rear window vents, bracing the subframe etc, mate you really haven't missed a trick. This thread just gets better and better. Mental yet inspirational, well done again sir. May I ask where you got your inspiration and help? With a car this great I really think you need a special engine, 2JZ FTMFW!
    Cheers mate, i have thought long and hard into this car. Inspiration for the bodywork is kind of a mix from jgtc and other race cars, and just my own thoughts.
    The aero was researched heavily.
    The rest of it just comes from common sense and other regulations for race cars i suppose.
    As i went along i made sure everything was catered for, just so the end result didnt look like a load of after thoughts. I kind of wanted it to look factory built.

Rides
    You sir, are a god

What an awesome build and an awesome result. Hope i see this on track some time.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by CravingImpact View Post
    I put Ben (MARSDEN) in charge of all the stickers as thats what he does best
    I had the Nissan in my mind for ages but was unsure if it would spoil it. But as soon as they went on i loved them. Cheers mate
    Just want those little silvia ones now for the corner of the headlights

Whoops i forgot about them ones mate Will get on with them asap. And you wasnt evan going to have any on at all, if you ask me a few more wouldnt go a miss Didnt realise that you went so far as to brace the subframes . Good work mate, no doubt i will be seeing you soon.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Marsden View Post
    Whoops i forgot about them ones mate Will get on with them asap. And you wasnt evan going to have any on at all, if you ask me a few more wouldnt go a miss Didnt realise that you went so far as to brace the subframes . Good work mate, no doubt i will be seeing you soon.
    I didnt like to keep bugging you for them!
    Yeh see you soon
    Ta

Rides
    This is one sick car impressive that you managed to get the car done, after 3 years. Most would give after a couple of months

Rides
    I take my hat off to you sir this is one fine looking car

I only just quickly went through this thread (looking at the pics) but if its already been said then sorry, but if you haven't already I would say take some molds of your bodywork and go into business selling it as a kit, as its friggin awesome

Rides
    Possibly the best S-body I've seen. Awesome. :

If only it were road legal!!!

Rides
    Looks incredible, how did I miss this thread!

Very impressive car