Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Solaris ECU info

Rides
    You'd probably want a Solaris S8 for the V8, the S6 will do it but will leave you short for inputs/outputs for other stuff.

The S8 is a properly awesome bit of kit.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by NickyS87 View Post
    What sort of display does this run?

Edit- I should learn to read the entire thread before posting.

How much did the MXL Strada set you back Jez?
    You dont need any display if you dont want one. My dash was about £650 IIRC.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Si View Post
    I'm not sure I should be asking this, but...
    Coul this be run on a rotary?
    The idea of all of these features in one unit is very appealing.

Although I suspect the fact I want to keep the stock twins and their control mechanism may throw a spanner in the works.
    It doesn't support rotaries at the moment, butI think its in the pipe line.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Jezz_S13 View Post
    You'd probably want a Solaris S8 for the V8, the S6 will do it but will leave you short for inputs/outputs for other stuff.

The S8 is a properly awesome bit of kit.
    Yup - we've got an S8 for the v8 we're building up for the Ultima. The S8 works in a very similar way to the S6, but has loads of inputs+outputs. The loom is going to take quite a bit of planning...

Quote Originally Posted by 200krisx View Post
    How much would we be rougly looking at for supply, fitting and mapping?
    In the region of £2.5k for the S6, inc sensors, fitting, mapping etc.

Rides
    jez does the cost of around 2.5k include setting up of the als, traction control etc or is that extra?

Rides
    It'll depend on how much setup you require - the TC, for example, can be setup to compensate for the tyres reducing in diameter throughout a race, you can have different slip limits depending on steering wheel angle or lateral g-force or just have a fixed slip limit. So the answer is yes if you want it setup simply and no if you're going to be doing endurance racing with it and want it to work at 100% throughout.

Theres so many variables and options regarding setup, sensors etc £2.5k is an estimate based on a typical setup.

If you describe what you want I can sort out a quote

Rides
    basically i'd be interested in the full works so to speak but I don't think i'll need the traction control set-up that specifically, tbh i'm impressed you even have those options fine tuning or what lol.
    Car is my track toy which will see occasional road use, is the als agressive/mild?

Can you give me a ball park figure with all the options set-up and i'll have to ask your opinion on how deep to go with the traction control.

Also can I easilly switch between multiple maps so I can have a road map, track map and one for my nitrous which needs a couple of degrees advance taking out when the gas kicks in?
    How in your opinion does it compare to autronic/motec?

Apologies for all the questions but I got to ask a few as its a fair bit of wedge.

Cheers

Mark

Rides
    I've never setup ALS - I'm a bit scared of it to be honest. I've setup the launch control on my car and it makes 1.5 bar stationary. You can set it up as aggressively as you like, with loads or no ign retard.

The solaris has full nitrous control built in - fully mappable with boost/rpm/tps etc etc. In fact all you really need is a nitrous solenoid and a bottle. It'll add additional fuel using the normal injectors if you want. I've never setup nitrous though.

You can have 2 8 position rotary switches - one for TC and one for different calibrations. I only use one switch on my car and various combinations of TC / launch / fuel/ign maps on each setting.

I'd recommend coming over to my place and I can show you the features - you can then choose what you want and I can give a quote. I can also plan the wiring - the solaris has 100s of features but most require an IO port and they are limited.

I've used motec a little, but not a huge amount - its very good but Solaris is comparable but without the price.

Rides
    yeah i'd be very interested in popping down. Can the ecu control the duty of the nitrous pulsoid as in start at 25% and progressively increase?

I understand about the als it has a habit of munching turbo's I think due to the rise in egt's and the shock on the shaft, is it something you would feel comfortable having a go at?

Is there any specific days when your quiet as I know your a busy guy.

Cheers for your detailed replies mate

Mark

Rides
    Theres 4 nitrous maps - each map contains a 3d map of rpm vs tps and nitrous solenoid duty as the mappable parameter. Then you've got ign timing subtraction, fuel adder dependent on solenoid duty etc. There also rate of change of duty limits - so if your map says 100% duty at full throttle it won't just go straight to 100% - it'll work its way up to 100% duty over a configurable time.

I'm happy to do the ALS - you'll need a throttle bypass valve to let loads of air in when the throttle is shut and I'd recommend fitting an EGT probe in the exhaust manifold so we can make sure things dont melt. The Solaris monitors EGT and can be configured to stop ign retard if a threshold is exceeded.

I can show you the system pretty much any time - not this Friday though. Give me a call if you like
    Last edited by Jez; 17-11-2009 at 13:37.

Rides
    The ALS has failsafe limits such as EGT as ACT, so you should be able to keep it safe; but you need some way of getting the air into the system for it such as air bypass, kicker, drive-by-wire.

The Nitrous maps are pretty comprehensive, in fact there's some new code just a couple of days old with even more nitrous features. Some of which appear to be tailored for the Pikes Peak hillclimb.

Rides
    I saw the firmware update - not installed it yet though as I'm not using nitrous. I've got thoughts of a GT4094 and nitrous to spool - probably wave goodbye to my block in style then.

What makes you think its pikes peak specific?

Rides
    Do it! you can fit a 4G after the SR dies.
    Nitrous spool does appear to be the danglies.

The barometric compensation for long hillclimbs.

Rides
    this ecu sounds real serious lol. I know alot of cossie lads who run anti-lag so i'll pick there brains as its not something I know that much about. Is there anything this ecu can't do lol. I really like the idea of using my injectors to supply the fuel for the nitrous pulsoid, I take it there are some safety features if fuel pressure drops etc.

I'll try and give you a call this week to sort out coming down, i'l leave my credit card at home this trip as I don't trust myself lol. Lots more questions regarding wasted spark etc but i'll save them till I pop down.

How long a drive are you from croydon/south london?

Rides
    mate you can guess how my T28 spooled with a 50bhp jet, instant 15psi as soon as you nail it.

I find nitrous amazingly safe power adder tbh, it allows me to keep my 28rs with extra on tap for overtaking/out the bends/fun etc lol.

Rides
    mark you will not go wrong in poping down for a look over the setup jez has it really is truly fantastic. i poped down for a chat and now im having one fitted with all the works cant wait lol

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by MarK4 View Post
    How long a drive are you from croydon/south london?
    90 mins roughly - depending on M25

Rides
    Just seen this feature

Full DBW support with added blip features on changing down!!! Could that be applied to a ca?

also like the sound of the internal data logging, does that mean I could email you a file to check over after a track day and if neccessary advise adjustments in the map and traction control?

I've been all over the solaris forum and a few other mentions I found on google and from my limited knowledge seems at least on a par with the best, infact some preferred mapping it to motec.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by MarK4 View Post
    Full DBW support with added blip features on changing down!!! Could that be applied to a ca?
    Yes - only trouble is that it uses a lot of input ports - the throttle will have 2 ppss (pedal position sensors) and the throttle will have 2 tps sensors. The S8 has loads of inputs, so you could use that but its more expensive.

Rides
    An input expander is required!