Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Slow Datsun Bluebird SSS Auto

Rides
    are'nt the carbs "hitachi" SU copys, i dont know if the spares are interchangable but if not stick a set of twins of an old mgb, they should work a treat, get a good usedset for £25

Rides
    Yeah they are. Have no idea if the others would bolt on, but I don't really see the benefit?

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by 30PSI
    Theres one thing, which I can't mention till I fix it. Nothing dangerous.
    Have you fixed it yet? What was it?

Rides
    Nope

I'd tell you in person, just not making it public on here

Rides
    Has it got a photo of David Hasselhoff glued to the steering wheel or something?

Rides
    Err update time.... Been using this as a daily driver for 2 years 8 months. Never technically broken down, except the water pump went 2 winters ago and I managed to make it home.

This car has never been good as a daily driver. Yes it starts on the key, always, but that's where the fun ends with the crap auto, the bad cruising speed/rpm and poor economy.

It looks a bit crap, people stare at you, sometimes throw things at you or just sneer. They do give way to me though, I guess they assume a car this crap can't be insured so just steer clear. It's strange that despite earning more money than I have previously I'm now driving this...

So this weekend gone I dropped in an SR20DE out of a 180sx. Also converted it to manual at the same time. With the overdrive and fuel injection this should now make the car alot quicker and better on petrol too.

Took it out for its first spin tonight and it seems alright. I've wired this up in a way that an SR20DET will plug and play in to the chassis loom. Just the exhaust will need to be done to fit a DET. This should make it very easy for anyone who wants to go the DET route when I come to sell it.

Still got to remove most of the waxoyl. This is bad news to remove.

I'm not quite happy with the exhaust, the down pipe needs cutting and welding in to a better angle. The centre console needs refitting but further backwards. I will fit the 910 temp sender somewhere so that the temp gauge reads normal. I will then do the final tidy up on the loom once I know it all works well.

Rides
    Nice one Martin .

You know you love this car really .

Rides
    Nice work, I'd have thought you'd have stuck a set of webers on it

Rides
    Nice to see the incontinence pant getting some love

How much better on fuel are you expecting it to be, and how much more powerz does it have over the original?
    bstmeetbllk

Rides
    Webers would be cool. In fact I was just going to convert the original engine to manual, which probably would make a fair difference but I thought bugger it this would end up being expensive leading to a full engine build. I just don't have the time for that.

Best I could ever get out of the L series was 25mpg. The twin carb engine was 110bhp, but felt like 75bhp. The SR is 145bhp I think so its a noticeable jump.

I will sell this at some point in the future which was half the reason for the SR conversion. Its likely someone would drop in a DET so now all the hard work is done...

Rides
    Now you have to work out how to update your sig..... Nice work mate . My 3rd car was a '81 4dr Bluebird with a chain and padlock keeping the boot closed .

Rides
    Piece of crap. I'd have thought sticking an SR in would have made this car even more reliable than it previously was but nope, the big ends started knocking.

Changed them yesterday from underneath, number 1 and 2 were letting go.

Rides
    So this was my daily driver up to the end of last year. It needs some attention to pass the mot, so it's now up for sale. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/201540292711