Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Collectors car?

Rides
    The recent trend to break them instead of sell as a car must to some degree affect a good examples worth just from less cars being available as time goes by?
    Not saying they are getting rare and valuable overnight but in a few years time I can see prices for good cars going up

Rides
    That doesn't make a car a classic, just an expensive rust bucket

Rides
    I don't think anyone can tell, a few years ago you could pick Mantas up for a few hundred quid all day everyday, now you're looking at £3k+, same with hundreds of other cars.
    Just because it's made by Nissan and isn't super rare doesn't mean people won't want them in the future. You've only got to have a quick scan through Ebay to see what run of the mill cars are now fetching, ok not generally mega money, but a fair percentage more than when they were 'a bit old'.

Alex B

Rides
    At the end of the day, any item or product is only worth what someone is willing to pay. So if you have a fan base, no matter how large or small, who want these cars then eventually the prices will rise. Perhaps not to the levels of say a Ford Cosworth or Lotus Carlton, but you never know. Not sure I would risk this as an investment option, but I have seen much worse ideas for investment.

I do like the idea of the SXOC having a collection, but I can't see how it would be achievable. That said, if someone does see a way of doing it, I am willing to contribute.

Yes these cars are somewhat in a niche, but would we want it any other way?

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by rd_jon View Post
    Perhaps not to the levels of say a Ford Cosworth or Lotus Carlton, but you never know.
    Definately not, but you can't really compare a 'special edition' to a more mass produced car, the Nismo 270R or whatever it is yeah I could see that being up with cossies etc in time.

Alex B

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by rd_jon View Post
    I do like the idea of the SXOC having a collection, but I can't see how it would be achievable. That said, if someone does see a way of doing it, I am willing to contribute.
    For the club to won and run "examples" of the marque is a nice idea but would be very difficult to do in practice. Who would get the use of them ? Who would be insured to drive them ? Where would they be kept and how would they be got to and from shows ?

A more practical idea, IMO, would be for the club to encourage club members to own, run, restore and bring to shows, high quality examples of standard cars.

Maybe a dedicated section, encouraging parts donation, reduced membership fees if they attend events, free entry to shows for people with standard, recognised "show cars".

That's not self-interest BTW as I don't have a standard car.

I think the club could also get a lot more good publicity for itself within the classic car community and help save more of these cars by encouraging classic car owners rather than car modifiers as it currently does.

All of this has been said before and generally poo-pooed as "too hard to do".

Rides
    I think Petrol is almost there with his cars lol ^^^^

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonny Wilkinson View Post
    A more practical idea, IMO, would be for the club to encourage club members to own, run, restore and bring to shows, high quality examples of standard cars.

Maybe a dedicated section, encouraging parts donation, reduced membership fees if they attend events, free entry to shows for people with standard, recognised "show cars".
    Sounds like a good idea.
    Not something I could put my name to, but I have a completely standard late year S13. I'm moving house in 4 weeks to somewhere with a garage so will b looking to fully restore it back to original glory. Not for shows, just my own personal desire. I'd probably bring it to the odd show or two, just so the kids can see what an original looks like

Rides

Why should people with standard cars get preferential treatment over people with good quality modified cars like Actual Ben Taylor, Colwell and Ken ????? All members should be treated equally and all have the same benefits or you create a divide in the club
    Quote Originally Posted by silverzx View Post
    I like Mark, he seems fair.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slip_n_slide View Post
    Mark is right.

Rides
    As above. Personally a bog standard s13 is well in my opinion. Shit. As high as a 4x4, sloppy handling, lethal brakes, and pretty slow.

But with just some wheels, coilies, and a few bolt on mods they become very fast, good looking and good handling motors.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Why should people with standard cars get preferential treatment over people with good quality modified cars like Actual Ben Taylor, Colwell and Ken ????? All members should be treated equally and all have the same benefits or you create a divide in the club
    100% with you on this.
    Nobody would be interested in standard cars as let's face it. Standard is boring. And generally not all that good anymore either.

NE and Merch Rep type Vigilant teSte's Avatar
    Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by LED sandwich View Post
    W Numbers seriously dwindle and the s14 heavilly follow suit i feel this could be a good topic to bring to the front.
    Will just leave this here to depress you all - http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classifi...1302215442111/

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Zornyan View Post
    Personally a bog standard s13 is well in my opinion. Shit.
    Quote Originally Posted by M.D. View Post
    Standard is boring. And generally not all that good anymore either.
    Don't forget this is just opinion. In mine, modified 200SX's are getting boring. Everyone has the same old tat bolted on.
    The majority of modified cars are a bag of spanners destined for death at the hand of incompetents or tin worm. Sad truth thanks to the cost.

There are a few nice examples as Mark mentioned. Very nice in fact. I suspect some serious blood and money went into them.

The point Mr Wilkinson was trying to get across I believe, was that the club was originally based on the 200SX. The original 200SX. Not a modified one. To have a standard one in the club at an event to show people the original concept that ALL those other modified ones are based on is a nice touch. I don't think for a minute he was saying that standard car owners are more important than modified car owners.

How many people like Petrol's car? Last time I looked (admittedly quite a while back) it had VERY minimal modifications and EVERYONE loved it???

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Ross B View Post
    The point Mr Wilkinson was trying to get across I believe, was that the club was originally based on the 200SX. The original 200SX. Not a modified one.
    I think you will probably find the founders of the club didnt have a standard car amongst them

and by saying members with a standard show worthy car should get discounted membership and free entry to shows is saying they are more important

I dont like seeing good cars being broken for spares but there isnt a lot you can do, the club doesnt own the cars
    Quote Originally Posted by silverzx View Post
    I like Mark, he seems fair.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slip_n_slide View Post
    Mark is right.

Rides
    Personally while my car is still working I have absolutely no intention to sell her. The buzz I personally get is that you simply don’t see many around anymore and I am lucky enough to see one every day when I walk out my house and when I park up, walk away and have a little glance over my shoulder…! However the fact that in a few years time I KNOW there will be a lot less on the roads, well then that simply makes her a classic to me already and worth a whole lot more... regardless what Parkers Car Price Guide will say!

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex B View Post
    Definately not, but you can't really compare a 'special edition' to a more mass produced car, the Nismo 270R or whatever it is yeah I could see that being up with cossies etc in time.

Alex B
    Anyone know what 270r's go for now days? I really want one

Rides
    Use em. Just from what I see on the road as a daily driver it seems like I'm on my own as far as RS13 go. I've seen more Toyota Z30 Soarer's in the last year and there are only 51 of them on the UK road (16 sorn).

There are 1000 Manta's left from 25,741 in 1994, must have been well over 50,000 sold in UK. The 4 door Ascona won the WRC but the Manta in cig sponsor paint won on looks. That makes for a lot of people wanting a few cars even if they are a bit confused as to which car they should really want. The fact that without one of the very few 2.4L DOHC Cosworth engines it's utterly lame escapes most people. (no different to all the 4 door Cossies being on par with a 3 door RWD RS500 with +25bhp and 8 injectors, or Scoobie 4 door when the proper WRC car was based on 100Kg lighter 2 door coupé, or LWB Audi coupé when the real deal SWB is seriously rare and expensive)
    There are 4 or 5 S12 Silvia with FJ20E left from only 269 in 1994 and 214 Silvia Turbo from 7,700 in '94. About 10,000 RHD S12 were sold in Europe - UK, Ireland, Malta and Cyprus. So the number of former owners is about 1/5th of the Manta. Still don't fetch "collectors" money, the owners graduated to TVR and Porsche or really wanted a RS500 and that's what they are collecting. While the Manta basked in the halo effect from WRC, Silvia wasn't seen as a relative to the 240RS and Nissan's BTCC entry was 240K. By the time the S12 was a rally car it was on its way out and the V6 was never sold in UK. Then they didn't use the S12 V6 in northern European rallies but used a March and didn't make much of the 2 2nd places in EA Safari rally. Now if they had brought the RS-X FJ20ET engined version to UK in '83 and entered it against the the Ford in BTCC it might be a different story.

Let someone else in 20 years time worry about counting the clips and if the right hoses are fitted for the hot start solenoid. Or if it's been converted from an auto to a manual. Or what size brakes it came with. Or where the air con went.

About 55% of S13 and 25% of S14 are SORN and not road legal. They can't all be track day and drift cars but most can be considered as being at risk of being crushed. It's very hard to sell a non road legal car except as bits.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    I think you will probably find the founders of the club didnt have a standard car amongst them

and by saying members with a standard show worthy car should get discounted membership and free entry to shows is saying they are more important

I dont like seeing good cars being broken for spares but there isnt a lot you can do, the club doesnt own the cars
    I knew I could rely on you to completely miss the fcuking point, Mark

I stated an opinion and, as usual, you've twisted it and then said it can't be done because "its not fair".

Well, IMO, "it's not fair" that so much of the club money goes into encouraging people to go and get pissed in a field once a year

As I said, IMO, ownership of standard cars needs to be encouraged by the club because just about nobody does it and its not encouraged by the club.

Modifying cars is done by just about every fcuker and needs absolutely no encouragement.

If you had your way, Mark, we'd all be encouraged to sell our cars and go offroading or buy BMWs

Rides
    I think Jonny has a good point, although all my cars are modified to high heaven!! that well kept standard models should be preserved and encouraged. There is NOBODY doing so at the moment, everyone seems to push towards track/drift/show off cars etc. If I could afford to then I would happily restore a standard s13.

As a marque based car club surely we should be the ones encouraging at least some standard models to be kept that way! and if it means losing out on £20 then so be it! Maybe a better solution would be to give free entry to new members for the first year, after that they have to pay the same as seasoned members.

Rides

As I said, IMO, ownership of standard cars needs to be encouraged by the club
    It's the only way if they are going be collectors cars .... Look at all the cars being collected today .. None of them are heavily modified with different engines, suspension, no interior etc etc .... They are mint, original examples