Thread: Id like to open a bar

Rides

Id like to open a bar

so whats involved?

anyone ever done this?

what do i need? its all a bit of a dream at the moment but something id love to do i dont want to delve into to much information on the theame because there isnt that many about so id hate to ave someone pinch my idea!

Rides
    youll need a load of cash to lease a bar or buy one (or a property with the correct planning)

Then you need money to get it going (equipment, beer, liquors, spirits, tv's music stuff, band or dj stuff.) So that would probably need a business plan and a hefty loan.

Then employees

I think the first is find a location, then get a business plan sorted

Rides
    1st: Licence
    2nd: Location
    3rd: Business Plan
    4th: Supplier (these vary so much, try and differ from your local places)
    5th: Advertise for Staff
    6th: Be ready for 5am-2am days!
    7th: Have fun!

Rides
    Its not that much fun , very demanding as well. when i was a student i use to work in bars and hotel bars i hated it in the end but it all depends on what sort of bar you go for.

Rides
    Running a bar is a life, not a job. You can start at 10am recovering and restocking from the night before and still be there at 3am cashing up. Added to the long hours, profit margins aren't actually that great on beer so you could end up working for less than minimum wage. I know a couple of folks who have run bars and ended up jacking it in for a job as a shop assistant as the stress was just too much.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Stu View Post
    Running a bar is a life, not a job. You can start at 10am recovering and restocking from the night before and still be there at 3am cashing up. Added to the long hours, profit margins aren't actually that great on beer so you could end up working for less than minimum wage. I know a couple of folks who have run bars and ended up jacking it in for a job as a shop assistant as the stress was just too much.
    Agreed with all of that! Ive been there and done it, know how hard it is! And i didnt own the place, my other half did, but i ended up being as involved. 10am start? Lucky, we used to have deliveries from 6am! It is a life, not a job, but it can be rewarding if you put the time, and effort in

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Stu View Post
    profit margins aren't actually that great on beer
    Its hard to beleive isnt it, when the last bar I went to charged me #7.40 for 2 beers and I could of got 3 times the amount in a supermarket.

Either supermarkets make a loss on beer, or Bar owners tell you porkies to justify paying those prices.

Still even if you dont make much on beer, at 2.50 for 25ml of vodka, you should recoup some of the loss

Rides
    I think it d be car related.
    its a struggle. there is loads of competition and the industry is taking a right beating since the smoking ban. good time to buy property but bad time to get into the business!

Rides
    Its usually the brewery making the money a lot of pubs/bars are tied to a brewery who will supply them, thats of course if you go for a lease rather than freehold.. That is why pubs/bars charge so much, because they are paying so much from the brewery.. They would love to go to a supermarket and buy the cheap alcohol but the brewery wont let them

Supermarkets have a far larger buying power than a pub/bar.. Thats how they can put alcohol out so cheap.. Supermarkets are slowly killing towns/villages, but thats a whole other thread

I would think you will have to find a location first, an existing bar or a new place that could need change of business before you an open it as a bar.. Then you will have to apply for a licence.. Not sure how easy it is to get one these days.. Some Councils can be funny about new bars opening, unless you know someone

Rides
    There is a MAJOR difference between owning, and running a bar.
    Put it this way, my mate spends his life running a bar, he is constantly skint.
    The guy who owns the bar, works the door on a busy night, does some coke upstairs and goes home in a Ferrari 360.

Figure that one out.

Rides
    I think you need some experience working behind a bar for someone else first. If you tell them you are wanting to own your own bar and you want the management experience they might help you get your license so your name can go above the door too so you can open up, close up etc, and get the experience of doing that sort of thing before you go in at the deep end. No brewery would take on someone without a few years experience.

The youngest Landlord in Lancaster used to be in his mid twenties, and had worked behind the bar at his dads pub since he was old enough to, and helped out with things before that. Having a position in the trade meant he was in the loop when his favourite pub's lease came up, so he ended up managing a rockers and bikers pub he loved. He eventually got offered a lot of money to move down south and manage a large pub I believe.

Rides
    If it was abroad and some where really nice i would probably do it , but then everyone does it , i would not want to have the assle of running a bar in the pissing down uk and everybody wants to fight each other attiude

Rides
    I have a few years of bar experiance and managment skills

i want it to be extreame sports related, mainly bmx, skate and maybe snowboard

pah its a dream lol

Rides
    a bar in thailand would be nice , but hey everyone as one out there so its a dream for me too

Rides
    A strip bar is what you want.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Jez@Devoted View Post
    I don't think I'd want to try any of them after a night in a bar

Rides
    There is a bar in Prague with a bouldering room. That's like rock climbing without ropes, just a thickly padded floor for when you fall, which you do because your inebriated. It's awesome fun!

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Jez@Devoted View Post
    I have a few years of bar experiance and managment skills

pah its a dream lol
    Extreme sports is quite a niche market though. I'd imagine you would struggle to get the custom through the doors in the current conditions especially when pubs/bars catering to a wider audience are struggling.

Rides
    Right you'll also need to look at getting yourself a license to serve alcohol, not just a license for the bar

Also consider you will have to have a qualified member of staff as well if you're not there

Have a look at this http://www.youngandpearce.co.uk/licensing-law-guide.htm

Also see http://biiab.bii.org/home

Also look at getting some proper booze knowledge to

Running a bar is far more than just serving drinks
    SXOC Member #62SXOCCar Gone & ZX-12RPS4 - AFKAN
    Pessimists are people without dreams. dhún an doras ar do bhealach amach...Wii - 2031 7909 3288 5367
    Gamers Read This...