Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Use of rear fog lamps

Rides

Use of rear fog lamps

On A N Other forum, I had a little rant about people using rear fogs unecessarily, like on motorways while still driving at 70+mph.

One idea that came back, was if fogs automatically switched off at anything above 40mph.
    I think that's a fantastic idea, and very easily done with modern electronically interconnected multiplexed cars.

Rides
    Why switch them off at over 40 ?
    Quote Originally Posted by sideways14a View Post
    Christ i would bang that harder than a barn door in a hurricane.

Rides
    What they should have is a sensor to detect fog, then if the spacker behind the wheel puts them on or leaves them on without... it shoves a great big huge rusty spike through there eyeball...

Or er something like that, maybe involving electricity or and ejector seat...

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    On A N Other forum, I had a little rant about people using rear fogs unecessarily, like on motorways while still driving at 70+mph.

One idea that came back, was if fogs automatically switched off at anything above 40mph.
    I think that's a fantastic idea, and very easily done with modern electronically interconnected multiplexed cars.
    or, how about anyone with rear fogs on in the wrong circumstance get a healthy fine!!!

And points!!!

If you are competent enough to hold a driving licence, then you should be competent enough to see what the visibility is like, and push a button as required!!!

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by VIDAL BABBOON View Post
    Why switch them off at over 40 ?
    Because if its that foggy that you need your foglight on then you shouldn't be doing over 40.

Rides
    They should have better training for drivers who leave the f**king things on!

Old fords are the worst,at least modern cars are attached to the lights,so the first time you switch your lights off,the fogs go off to until you manually put them on again!

You only need two tools in life - wd-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the wd-40. If it shouldn't move and does, use the duct tape.

And if you can't fix it with a hammer,you've got an electrical problem!

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by PR200SX View Post
    or, how about anyone with rear fogs on in the wrong circumstance get a healthy fine!!!

And points!!!

If you are competent enough to hold a driving licence, then you should be competent enough to see what the visibility is like, and push a button as required!!!
    You've never owned an S13, have you? lol

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by xR33 View Post
    You've never owned an S13, have you? lol
    what the **** has that to do with pushing a button?

Rides
    Because you will hit the switch with your knee, every single time you get in

Edit: And S13's being S13's, the little illumination on the switch won't work to tell you it's on either

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Chavbo View Post

Edit: And S13's being S13's, the little illumination on the switch won't work to tell you it's on either

Hence the reason for a fine
    Quote Originally Posted by sideways14a View Post
    Christ i would bang that harder than a barn door in a hurricane.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Chavbo View Post

The tell tale is hidden by drivers hand.

I sometimes get it with back of hand just taking the keys out.

BUT

Yes anyone going over 40-45mph in fog or conditions that have reduced vis to 200m needs a big fine. That's about 10secs of vision at 200m, 5 at 100m and 2.5 when down to 50m.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by skyshack View Post
    The tell tale is hidden by drivers hand.

I sometimes get it with back of hand just taking the keys out.

BUT

Yes anyone going over 40-45mph in fog or conditions that have reduced vis to 200m needs a big fine. That's about 10secs of vision at 200m, 5 at 100m and 2.5 when down to 50m.
    rear fogs are for when visibility is 100m

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by PR200SX View Post
    what the **** has that to do with pushing a button?
    The rear fog light is how you tell if someone unfamiliar with an S13 has been driving it.

If the rear fog light is on, it's because someone has caught it with their knee whilst getting in or out of the car since they don't know it's there, and the button is just a straight toggle without an auto-cancel.

Rides
    ^What they said^

I don't use the fog lights, and am an experienced S13 driver, yet still occasionally find the fog lights on .

Rides
    Forgiverness pwease, the S13 drivers have a little excuse as the switch is in a stupid place. 99% of cars have no such excuse.

Quote Originally Posted by frisbee View Post
    Because if its that foggy that you need your foglight on then you shouldn't be doing over 40.
    Bingo. Give that man a car

Based on years of annoyance, but particularly a trip down the M1 on Christmas Eve. Yes it was a bit foggy/misty, but there was 300+ yards visibility, and at the 70+mph I was driving, I'm looking at the cars 300yards ahead. If those cars come to a stop, or their tailights disappear (into a thick fog patch for example) I want to be able to see it.

It's hard to see them, because of the pricks directly in front of me with fog lamps on while happily driving at 70+mph too.

Rides
    still not an excuse, you are in charge of that vehicle, you should be familiar with the controls, and you should make sure the fog lights are not on.

that is the law, it's the law for a reason. stick to it.

I've had to pull along side cars before when on the bike, and ask the idiot inside to turn off their fog lights cos they are blindingly bright. one of them scrabbled around looking for the button, they didn't have a clue where it was.

I made sure I was well clear of that muppet as quick as possible.

Rides
    I never hit my S13 fog light button! I dont quite know how people always manage it to be honest with you! Do you throw yourself in the car or something?

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by bealehere View Post
    I never hit my S13 fog light button! I dont quite know how people always manage it to be honest with you! Do you throw yourself in the car or something?
    I'm 6"4 and I've owned 3 S13's, and I was always catching the foglight switch...

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by tallpaul View Post
    I'm 6"4 and I've owned 3 S13's, and I was always catching the foglight switch...
    6" 1 and I do it every time

But now checking its off is part of starting the car

Rides
    The S13 fog lamp switch is in a stupid place and is easily pressed accidentally. However, my gripe is generally not with S13 drivers.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    pricks
    When I say 'pricks' I mean drivers with opinions that are different to mine, and there are lots of you out there.