Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Use of rear fog lamps

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by PR200SX View Post
    still not an excuse, you are in charge of that vehicle, you should be familiar with the controls, and you should make sure the fog lights are not on.
    There's no tell-tale on the clocks either. But how many S13's do you come across anyway? No biggie

I'm 6'2 and caught it on the way in pretty often. I found an easy but slightly less legal solution - buy an import without 1

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    The S13 fog lamp switch is in a stupid place and is easily pressed accidentally. However, my gripe is generally not with S13 drivers.
    I know what you mean, another forgiveness for the foglight sin is also... not sure about were you live jon, but with the landscape from my house to the nearest town about 15miles. On an early morning I can drop in and out of fog every other minute up hill down hill type thing.

But yes middle of town or middle of the day with not a foggy speck of foggyness to be seen, fog light ablaze gets my goat too

Don't even get me started on peoples obsession with front fogs and side lights though WHY?

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by GAV200 View Post
    Don't even get me started on peoples obsession with front fogs and side lights though WHY?
    There are odd occasions where dipped headlamps reflect back from the fog so badly, that sidelights are better. I had that way back in teenage days. If I'd had front fogs then, they might have been some use. This was always under 20mph. Mostly it's a fashion thing, a pet hate of mine, but not exactly harmful at urban speeds. Front fogs are annoying but harmless in my opinion.

Rides
    In actual proper thick fog, this is very useful.

The front headlights illuminate the fog, creating a giant impenetrable white haze which cannot be seen through. The foglights shine under the fog, illuminating the road.

Helpfully, if you turn the headlights off and the foglights on, that then means you can then see where you're going. Always a useful bonus

Of course, the S13 doesn't have front foglights, so you're screwed anyway.

Actually I secretly think that is why people drive around in clear weather with sidelights and front foglights - it is so their cars look like an S13, and thus more cool

Rides
    I thought there's be SXOC peeps out there willing to say that rear fogs at 70mph were a good idea, and am a bit surprised they've not posted yet.

Rides
    I thought there's be SXOC peeps out there willing to say that rear fogs at 70mph were a good idea, and am a bit surprised they've not posted yet.
    Only on a S13

Rides
    Can honestly say I've only used the fogs on my s14a twice in the time I've had it. See people with sidelights + fogs all the time round here... yes mate, it makes your knackered '94 Mondeo look totally badass

Quote Originally Posted by nene View Post
    Of course, the S13 doesn't have front foglights, so you're screwed anyway.

Actually I secretly think that is why people drive around in clear weather with sidelights and front foglights - it is so their cars look like an S13, and thus more cool
    How does driving with your front fogs on make your car look like another car that doesn't have front fogs?

Rides
    I have always wondered this, the utter spackers with fogs and sidelights on.... never quite managed to work out just how low there IQ must be to think this is a good idea.
    I mean it must be really low..... dogshit stupid...

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by voodoo_melon View Post
    How does driving with your front fogs on make your car look like another car that doesn't have front fogs?
    People are too stupid to realise that the lower lights on minis, S13s and other cars with separate sidelights are not foglights.

On occasion this has included police officers.

Rides
    There are odd occasions where dipped headlamps reflect back from the fog so badly, that sidelights are better..
    In actual proper thick fog, this is very useful.

The front headlights illuminate the fog, creating a giant impenetrable white haze which cannot be seen through. The foglights shine under the fog, illuminating the road.

Helpfully, if you turn the headlights off and the foglights on, that then means you can then see where you're going. Always a useful bonus
    Sorry I should of wrote ...When theres no fog about

Rides
    You probably do now! but you'd have really hated me at 19! sidelights and fogs everywhere in my clio rt

You only need two tools in life - wd-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the wd-40. If it shouldn't move and does, use the duct tape.

And if you can't fix it with a hammer,you've got an electrical problem!

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by pdh 14a View Post
    You probably do now! but you'd have really hated me at 19! sidelights and fogs everywhere in my clio rt
    Ah! so you can explain why

Rides
    Chavs with front foglights aren't HALF as bad as chavs with HID kits fitted
    The amount of times I have to shield my eyes completely and navigate the road using only 'the force'.

yes I'm speaking to you jap lot
    Last edited by s13silvia; 29-12-2009 at 02:27.

Rides
    People are too stupid to realise that the lower lights on minis, S13s and other cars with separate sidelights are not foglights.

On occasion this has included police officers.

Down in the foam, playing with the string...
    Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by voodoo_melon View Post
    Can honestly say I've only used the fogs on my s14a twice in the time I've had it.
    Same here. But are you referring to front or rear? My fronts came straight out as they were about as useful as a fart in a hurricane and the HID's are fine. Including in the rare fog we get.

Rears I've used once. I have yet to encounter fog dense enough for me to use them (it). The one time I did use it was to attempt to tell the spacker (love that word ) I'd just overtaken who was doing 35 in a 60 to turn his/her high beams AND front fogs off. This was on a summer evening, no fog, no mist, no rain, nohing that could impede visibility bar the burgeoning dark.

Quote Originally Posted by pdh 14a View Post
    Ummm. I did too in my Punto GT...

Ah! so you can explain why
    Cos the standard headlights were so pathetic as to be almost useless and driving down single-track country lanes late at night on my way home from work they were useful as they lit the sides of the road as well as about 20m in front. At which point the feeble headlights actually illuminated something. High beam was ok but cars coming the other way tended not to like it too much.

In my defence, I did try to remember to switch off the fogs when I hit a main road but I usually had other things on my mind... (I was 20-21 - you figure out what I was thinking of!)

Rides
    Fog lights should be fitted with an intermittent beeper that beeps, say, every seven seconds. Just enough to annoy the living shit out of you. And to make sure youre paying attention in the fog.

And as for HID's incorrectly fitted to non projector headlights, its usually poxy fiesta vectra and hateful mini honda chav wagons that have the best "i can see,b***ocks to the rest of you " headlights.

Rides
    I managed to get somebody to turn their front fog lights off last night. Nice clear evening but, no, they 'needed' their front fog lights on in the middle lane of the M11 . I switched my rear fog light on for about a second and a few moments later they turned their front fog lights off. It's the first time I can recall this ever having worked

If visibility is reduced sufficiently then I will use the rear fog light on a and b roads. However, as soon as somebody is close enough to the back of my car I turn it off. Sadly, cars in front of me don't apply the same intelligence . I used the front fog lights once on the 14a and they were as much use as shit in a pancake factory. I had no hesitation in binning the front fogs when I fitted the front mount intercooler

Far far FAR more annoying to me, than unnecessary fog lights, is people who insist on sitting on their brakes at traffic lights. Stick it in neutral and pull the handbrake up you selfish cnuts

Rides
    OLD THREAD ALERT:

but it's only September and it's happening already.
    I'm working odd long hours at the mo and at 6am on my M62 commute it was a bit misty.

Rear fogs used on a few cars.

Nowhere near as annoying as last Christmas journey that provoked this thread originally, but a reminder of things to come.

If you're happy driving at more than 40mph, then it is not foggy enough to need the lights

Rides
    You want to try living in Essex

Down here it's almost essential that you drive everywhere with your front fogs on as they make your Fiesta/Focus/some other scrabbly shit heap* look cool innit

*delete as applicable
    SXOC Member #62SXOCCar Gone & ZX-12RPS4 - AFKAN
    Pessimists are people without dreams. dhún an doras ar do bhealach amach...Wii - 2031 7909 3288 5367
    Gamers Read This...

Down in the foam, playing with the string...
    Rides
    Yup - seen rear fogs on only this morning in a light drizzle of rain.

Front fogs still being used pretty much all the time by some, regardless of light/weather. and these frickin' "daytime running lights" on some cars are so damn bright they dazzle even in sunlight!