Thread: stripping the loom down?

Rides

stripping the loom down?

hi, i will be honest i havnt done a search as ive beeen searching the web since 6am this morning to no real avail!

so here goes, has any one stripped the loom down to just make there ca18det run, no ac, no pas etc....

are there any wiring diagrams etc..?

ive got the full loom from the s13 and every time i look at it i just put it back in the box as it just looks like a real mess! i may of also snipped a few when i removed it which may have been a big mistake!

any help or info on splitting it all up would be much aprieciated!

kris

Rides
    Are you wanting to keep the headlights etc as well, or are you only wanting the engine to run and nothing else?

Also, what vehicle is the engine in... is it still in an S13?

If you're stuck just PM me, I can probably help you out.

Nize.

Rides
    I've been through this on a number of cars...
    Thankfully the cars in the 1990s did not have much loom integration, so you have what I'd call:
    Chassis loom - with the headlights, alternator, etc.
    Interior loom - with the dash, interior lights, relays, fuel pump etc (some of this is shared with the chassis loom.
    Engine loom - which connect the sensors, injectors coils to the ECU.
    (these are simply my terms for describing what does what)

So its a case of downloading the workshop manuals, deciding on what loom you want to tackle and going through one wire at a time. It took me an unpleasant rainy Sunday with the Engine loom on the floor to thin out all the bits I didnt want, its not Brain surgery you just need to be methodical

Rides
    Im doing this at the moment..

Stripping out things like the abs wires and a whole load of other unesed stuff and moving the fuse boxes to behind the dash etc.

The only advice i can give is to follow the wires from the plugs of the things you want to ditch to their source and remove them one by one.

Some circuits splice into others so just insulate the bits you chop off at these junctions and for god sake check the diagrams in the workshop manual if you are unsure at any point.

Just be patient and as said above, methodical and you should be fine

Rides
    Just about finished doing this to my 180 im rebuilding. Started with the engine bay loom (lights, indicators etc) pulled it out. shortened it by about 1mtr. relocated it to where the heater box used to be behind the dash and extended the cables i needed back out and into the engine bay. Ive got a microtech (standalone ecu) so i rewired this also. hiding as much of the wiring as possible in the engine bay. (ecu loom + starter/alternator loom + guages all come out from behind the engine through new holes). i'll post a pic of how its looking atm

My advise is the same as above. Sit down and take your time and make sure you do it right. 1 wire at a time. it takes a looooong time but worth it in the end.

This is it with a bit chopped out, still needs cutting down another .5mtr

Test fitted up to make sure it all fits in nicely

pic of the engine bay with all the wiring in (notice spark leads go through firewall as coilpacks are mounted on the dash support bar. Also notice hidden wiring for the windscreen wiper motor

Last edited by xris; 27-01-2010 at 03:17.

Rides
    That look an interesting build mate. The wire tucking has really helped, looks alot cleaner.

Cheers Aj

Rides
    the only trouble i found was that a lot of the circuits are intergrated so you cant chop that much out. you can whip out the ABS,air con and a lot of the other big circuits but getting down to bare bones wont really happen.

Rides
    its a ca18det

i just need it to run, but all of the above is help full, cheers guys
    ive downloaded a wiring diagram just in case.
    i have litraly got the cars full loom and no car so absolutly nothing is pluged in
    i recived the engine in one box, the gear box in one and the wiring including clocks,ecu, switches etc.. in another

as you may have guessed its not going in an s13
    will let you know how it goes

Rides
    ahh i see in that case all you need is the engine loom the ecu and 2 relays if you look at the engine loom diagram in the service manual you will be able to work out how to power it up.

actually if you look on here for the sr20 fitting guide that will give you a bit of a heads up.

now tell me what its going in.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by project100sx View Post
    its a ca18det

i just need it to run, but all of the above is help full, cheers guys
    ive downloaded a wiring diagram just in case.
    i have litraly got the cars full loom and no car so absolutly nothing is pluged in
    i recived the engine in one box, the gear box in one and the wiring including clocks,ecu, switches etc.. in another

as you may have guessed its not going in an s13
    will let you know how it goes
    about 4 wires....

if you are interested in a loom conversion to allow you to run the motor without the nissan part attached then drop a pm