Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New User

KKealy
    Well I was told I wasn't covered at all to drive any other car at one point...and point 3 isnt really clear could be talking about my insurance. I'll phone up later when I'm not in work and check it out Oooh getting a bit hostile now aren't we.

KKealy
    Quote Originally Posted by Prior View Post
    Driving other cars
    If your certificate of insurance says so, we will also cover
    you, the policyholder, for your liability to other people while
    you are driving any other private motor car which you do
    not own or have not hired or leased, as long as:

1 the vehicle is not owned by your employer or hired to them
    under a hire-purchase or lease agreement;
    2 you currently hold a full European Union (EU) licence;
    3 the use of the vehicle is covered in the certificate of
    insurance;
    4 cover is not provided by any other insurance;
    5 you have the owner’s permission to drive the vehicle;
    6 the vehicle is in a roadworthy condition; and
    7 you still have your vehicle and it has not been damaged
    beyond cost-effective repair.

directly lifted from quinns policy pdf.

discuss all you want. makes no odds to me

So I was totally fine to be driving my pals cars although apparently I admitted to 'driving without insurance several times'. Will try and clear up point 3 - willing to admit I might be wrong but I'm pretty sure I'm not.

KKealy
    As part of our car insurance cover we offer:

* FREE breakdown cover (including home-start)
    * Named driver experience discount*
    * Easy monthly payment option
    * Loss of keys cover
    * Personal accident cover**
    * Medical expenses**
    * Hotel expenses**
    * Audio equipment
    * New car replacement
    * Generous no claims discounts
    * Protected maximum no claims bonus option
    * Step-back no claims discount as standard
    * Open drive option
    * Driving other cars extension***
    * European use (93 days)
    * Courtesy car when using approved repairer**

* Available to first time policy holders only.
    ** Comprehensive cover only.
    *** Applies to most policies.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by KKealy View Post
    Well I was told I wasn't covered at all to drive any other car at one point...and point 3 isnt really clear could be talking about my insurance. I'll phone up later when I'm not in work and check it out Oooh getting a bit hostile now aren't we.
    People are trying to help you. People who are more in the know and you didnt listen. Thus people got a little wound up. Are you really here about a 200sx or are you here to wind people up?

I would be thankful that people were bieng helpful and take the banter as banter

KKealy
    I good ammount of what has been written in this thread has been the exact opposite of helping Thanks to those that haven't felt the need to be dicks though.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Ross S14 View Post
    Fella, this is wrong, wrong, wrong. The car MUST be insured in its own right for you to get 3rd party coverage on it, regardless of owner's consent. Sorry, but I'm warning you in case you get pulled - an excuse of ignorance won't get you out of trouble.
    Quote Originally Posted by ricky3510 View Post
    The car has to be insured by someone else fully comp for you to be 3rd party on it. Otherwise you could buy a very expensive car and no one be insured on it and buy a shitty car get insured on that then drive the expensive one. It dont work like that!
    These two sum it up for me

You have to have insurance on the 200sx and then you can be third party on it using the Corsa, (BUT ONLY IF IT IS INSURED ALREADY)

Moving on from insurance. How much have you got and what model are you looking for?

Rides
    I good ammount of what has been written in this thread has been the exact opposite of helping Thanks to those that haven't felt the need to be dicks though.
    Not at all, youre trying to shortcut a very obvious way of not patiung for insurance...

If it was that easy, everyone would do it? Insure a 2cv in the garage but drive around in a 500bhp skyline... Or butchering a £1500 car, dropping a £4k engine into it that never works and trying to sell it for £15,000. If it was that easy everyone would do it

Self confessed player of the pink oboe docwra's Avatar
    Rides
    Its something we have covered a number of times - youve already had an insurance underwriter and a serving police officer reply on this thread.

If you have found a policy where you can drive anything you like after insuring a 2CV for example, then do let us know as we'll all be out there like a shot - I pay £1800 a year myself
    Quote Originally Posted by scimmy ben
    I get the feeling that this would only work if we could pursuade Ernest Borgnine to drive the Isle of Wight to Portsmouth hovercraft.
    Quote Originally Posted by sprout
    After I shave my balls swarfega helps soothe, but means the hair grows back quite quickly, so give it a go

Rides
    Jesus is this still in dispute. ok let me disect it for you

Driving other cars
    insurance;

Point 3- if their policy says you can use it, you can use it with your 3rd party cover.

point 4- this refers to dual insurance. Ie if you already have a policy in place for the vehicle your driving then quinn wont pay out on a 3rd party basis.

point 6- this is particuarly relevant as it means to be in a road worthy state the car must have tax & MOT, which in order to get that then you must have a valid insurance policy.

Its standard procedure across every insurance company that the vehicle your driving must have its own policy in place. If you dont believe me have a search through google, its one of the most asked questions since most youths would love the idea of insuring a 1l metro whilst driving a skyline around registered in dads name. It just doesnt work like that.

I also revisited the Quinn website and lo and behold if you look under the FAQ section and go to 'am i covered to drive other cars' it states "You must be 25 years of age. Age is based on your age at the inception/renewal date of your policy"

source here.. http://www.quinn-direct.com/uk/car/faqs.html

But im not discussing it anymore. Take your chances but be wary you dont run into the back of someone like me- as if somebody did hit me uninsured i would twist their head off their shoulders. Now as Doc said, you may have discovered the magic insurance policy which allows you to drive a car without its own policy. If you have i would definately want it as i could do with running a banger free of charge. However whats more likely is your call taker has read the policy terms verbatim and has just repeated them without understanding them. Judging by the fact the website has 2 conflicting sets if T&Cs id hazzard a guess its the latter.

Welcome to the club and dont interpret advice preventing you landing up in court as criticism.
    Last edited by Prior; 23-03-2010 at 15:11.

KKealy
    Don't really see this as advice - getting slated for suggesting something is more what it is like. Could have been a bit less hostile. Fair enough I was wrong to think I could drive this as a second car, but I wasn't wrong to drive my pals cars even though I did see this part on being 25. No where on my cover document does it state this although I have seen it on the website now you point it out, but I checked and double checked with Quinn and I am entitled to drive other cars regardless of age.

As for model and price, I'm not too sure yet. Would prefer to get an already modified one, been searching over the last year and seen a good few I like the look of.
    Last edited by KKealy; 23-03-2010 at 21:57.

Rides
    Give up - just go look for a 200 to buy and never mention this thread again
    Last edited by sprout; 23-03-2010 at 21:58. Reason: removed "mate" from sentence

KKealy

daveytrackels
    Hi and welcome to essex!

Rides
    Driving other cars
    insurance;

It is very very clear , their vehicle needs to be insured (by them) and legal to drive (taxed and tested unless on the way to a pre booked MOT test)

You have been told over and over again by many older wiser and more experienced drivers so just take the advice on board like a grown up

Rides
    aitch is right.. no insurance docs relating specifically to vehicle and no tax disk! this has caught me out before trying to tax my dads car while he was out of the country with no insurance!

Rides
    Guys - we've obviously scared him off, 0 posts since he joined (only posted on this thread), don't waste your breath.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by sprout View Post
    Guys - we've obviously scared him off, 0 posts since he joined (only posted on this thread), don't waste your breath.
    19, 2 accidents, points, doesn't listen to advice. That'll be another crashed 200 before long (if he manages to get one)

Rides
    i think the twin turbo bit sunk this thread

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbitt View Post
    i think the twin turbo bit sunk this thread
    Well Mambastu's S13 had a 24V Twin Turbo badge on the back....

Have to admit, being told there was advice from a police officer and an underwriter, you'd have thought he'd have realised he was talking to people in the know.... but no, obviously Prior has no idea what he is talking about... think I'll use that as my next excuse

Rides
    24v TT.. weak..