Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My s13, forged and full of awesome!

Rides

My s13, forged and full of awesome!

Right well i did start a little thread a while ago for my s13 but since ive just renewed my membership thought i may as well do a proper one here.

So heres how it started

That was just after buying the car and fitting the redtop sr20 i bought from someone.

After 2 replacement engines from the same person and the final one blowing up on the m25 causing the car to lock up and nearly kill me i decided the only way to go was to have a new engine built.

So i got hold of a block from a good friend of mine that was mint, infact the sx it came out of had a brand new engine from nissan only a few years earlier so it didnt have the usual 20 years of use.

The block was sent to rob at pec in kelvedon, i wouldnt trust anyone but him since he knows more than most have forgotten, plus hes not arrogant.

The spec i wanted was
    Acl race big end and mains with thrust washers
    Pec rods with arp bolts
    Wossener pistons +1mm
    Block acid dip
    Decked for mhg
    Cometic mhg (need to double check thickness)
    New gen nissan oil pump
    New gen nissan water pump
    New belts
    Head cleaned
    Valves lapped
    New stem seals

Also whilst out i decided to replace all the shitty rubber hoses that leak left right and centre

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Rides

Had a sump made up too

Added 1l of capacity and has 2 trap doors to keep all the oil near the pick up, aldo in the pic was my new apex street engine and box mounts.

Sent from my GT-P7310 using Tapatalk 4

Rides

Custom fuel cell made up by alloy racing fabrications

Holds iirc 2 litres more than oem, going to cut the spare wheel well out and its going to sit under the car in oem position, benefits are keeping the lower center of gravity and no firewalls or fuel smells to contend with.

Also i wont need a swirl pot as this has a 3" sump which will be just as effective

Going to be using a bosch 044 with an in tank adaptor as opposed to the walbro due to me not liking reliability issues with them.

New front cross member welded on due to rust

More rust

Deox gel was my choice of weapon after the wire wheel

Rides

Subframe off, decided i wanted an s14 subframe for the better anti squat properties

So i bought one off a friend and did this

Rides

Welded in some brace bars and added reinforcement plates to arm mounting points the gave it a few coats of por 15

Sent from my GT-P7310 using Tapatalk 4

Rides

Another little treat from apex along side their bushed alignment arm kit and some other bushes (hub knuckle etc) since im not a fan of rose joints or polybushes due to them wearing out too quickly and being too harsh to maintain any sort of decent grip on the road

Rides

And this is how its currently sitting. Engine needs removing to start tubbing and fabbing front suspension up, of which ive been waiting to get a crane but should be sorted next week.

After the engine was fitted i ran the car for about 900 miles till i decided it needed to stay off the road for a while to have the rest of the work.

So whilst the rest of its been going on i had the head sent back to rob at pec to have some work done.

The spec hes built it to is
    Custom cams from piper cams (could be kent cant remember of top of my head) because he thinks thry have the perfect specs for my engine and bhp goals (around 480-500)
    Rb25det oversize valves +1mm (cant get oversize ca valves anymore) from supertech
    Double valve springs
    Titanium retainers
    Custom solid lifter conversion using duratec lifters
    Stems have been machined to vag turbo ones as they are 1mm larger as oem ones didnt have much meat left
    Port and polish
    Multi angle valve job
    Custom adjustable pullies

Basically everything we could do whilst keeping it a nice road car and ultimately reliable. On the flow bench rob said with the new specs its testing at around 55% more flow than when he tested it originally.

Rides
    Right finally time for an update, things have been slow of late with me decideing to buy and turbo an mx5 so this went on the back burner. Finally got my fabricator mate round and started on the boot floor to mount the fuel tank

We decided to weld support bars from the chassis rails which were then welded to the floor to reinforce it as the spare wheel well used to be a structual area

Added the brackets aswell to use oem type tank straps

Finally the hole on the side of the arch is where the fuel filler will run, to keep it higher than the tank we have cut down the original item and making up pipework to make it a solid item, leading down through the oem access for fuel pump, the raised area is an access for where the pump now sits, just making up a removable plate to make it easier.

Got some raybrigs too

Got all new springs and adjuster bolts and holders so should be nice and solid, gave the cages a lick of paint to to keep looking clean

Rides

Rides
    And got my interior from bakke, k sports recovered in white leather.

Its not gonna be easy to keep clean, but for the price i would have paid 500 quid more just to get the seats and rails from apex so was hard to say no

Rides
    Just waiting on getting my nismo 2 way back from the engineers thats rebuilding it and putting it together with my 4.3 ratio, hes also changing the arrangement inside to lower breakaway torque slightly making it slightly softer and nicer for the road.

Still waiting on the head for my engine but i saw it last week and hes nearly finished

Next is fitting the r33 double wishbone up front and tubbing the arches, im away on holiday but when returned the arches should be done and then we can start on wishbone mounting. So far doesnt look too complicated.

Rides
    Hey bud, this is an awesome little read. I glad your making good progress, any pics of the front suspension?
    Also with that power are you sure you'll want a 4.3 diff? Firestorm had one at340hp and thought it was too short, at 500 I'd think you would be shifting way to often.

Also are you still going evo turbo? I'm pretty tempted myself and was wandering who was making your manifold?
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBigShow View Post
    Reach arounds are more my thing, I don't like the taste...

Rides
    Awesome progress! Any reason you are changing to the double wishbone set up? What benefits will this bring?

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

Rides
    Coming on nicely, nice to see an S13 having some love rather than being drift missiled into the wall.

Rides
    Ill have pics up when im back, ive got s13 brand new front lower arms that are being extended 25mm for extended track (10mm is required for standard since r33 essentially need s14 arms but i had new so wanted them), apex gen 2 coilocer units (again had a new set on the csr for about 100 miles so just bought some r33 fronts) and r34 front upper arms off of a 20k car that look near enough new.

I understand what your saying about the 4.3, but i really enjoy the shorter gearing and revvy ness, plus in the future im going for a z32 gearbox so that will increase ratios slightly anyway.

Yeah still the evo turbo, the unit ive got thats being rebuilt should do just under 2bar of boost and make around 380-400 with good spoolup amd low down torque, and whenever im ready for the extra power i can send the unit off and have the larger unit within 2 days that will do anywhere upto 540.

Manifold is being made on recardowave by the same guy thats doing my chassis work, his name is mikey tokley aka barn engineering and a good friend of mine for the laat 5 or so years. Thats not being done for a little while yet since hes still got to finish my inlet manifold yet lol.

Finally i chose the double wishbone since it will give me better camber gain when cornering and drifting, end of the day its a superior setup all round and i just fancied something different

Rides
    ah good stuff mate, do you know what sort of price the manifold will be? im really tempted to give that setup a go myself and aim for 350 ish.

Rides
    Ive bought the flanges myself from a compamy called laser247, worked at around 40 quid, then its just pipework and labour, although we were going to go stainless im tempted to go use steam pipe like a lot of manifolds seem to be nowadays since theres pretty much zero chance it will ever crack.

But i think we agreed on around 250-350 including an elbow (since its going top mount just going to get some v bands to make it easy)
    Really it comes down to clearance as the evo turbos spin and work in reverse so their at a bit of a funny angle, it will 100% work and im confident ita going to be an awesome setup, just want it to be neat and fit with plenty of room.

Rides
    Ah awesome, wanna ask your mate if he fancies making me an sr one? Could you use an evo x one? I thought I read they spin the right way.

Rides

My s13, forged and full of awesome!

Looking good man, some proper cool work had gone into it!

Interested to see the outcome of the double wishbone setup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Rides
    Pretty much any td05hr or hra spins in reverse as the 'r' dictates reverse in the code. Im not sure on the evo x turbo tbh as the earlier ones spool well and are enough for 390ish bhp. I can certainly ask him, although he isnt quick by any means aa cars are his hobby and his main job is a sparky so car stuff gets done as and when.

Although i did tell him about interest in manifolds so if there is a few wanted i may be able to get him to make a small batch