Thread: Didn't start out as a project

Rides

Didn't start out as a project

7 years ago..........

That's how long I have had the 200 now

Nooooooooob

I came into Nissan ownership because I wanted reliability and performance, and was fed up with my V6 Cavalier which offered only one of those. (and only on the days it was running)

60,000 miles later, and it's pretty much a thumbs up. Needed recovery from Scotland when the fuel pump failed, and had a tow home when the hard pipes split after a tubby gasket change.

One thing I definately wasn't going to do was modify it, however I may replace worn out stuff with new stuff from non nissan suppliers, if it's cheaper.

This neatly explains the Apex sensible exhaust, and the Eibach springs/KYB shocks. After the fuel pump went I had to fit a walbro, and of course the wing mount went too. I even bought wheels with tyres for less than new tyres, and apart from a shocking set of split rims, that's worked pretty well.

Of course, along the way I have treated myself to a few goodies, the luminescent dials, HIDS, sports cat, short shift, creme heated leather etc.

We have also found the old girl had a bit of a life before I got her. Many people have seen and laughed at my OS rear arch. had a bit of filler in it, and it appears someone lost the backend. the filler became all the more apparent when a lorry frove into me, and ripped most of it out.

despite being a lieing cnut who claimed i drove into him, the insurance covered a new arch. at this point a warning, never use BALDWINS of AYLESBURY, even if your insurer insists on sending the car there. just 4 years later the arch they fitted is practically rusting away.

anyway she got a full respray at the same time, and is still fairly red. (ish)

the previously mentioned accident damage also affected the handling somewhat, and a visit to the local laser tracking centre showed various arms amd mounts were incorrectly positioned. new (secondahand) subframe and a few arms, and all of a sudden she doesn't slide off the road at the sight of a pothole

the mid life crysis has of course hit me now, and i needed more. having all the supporting mods, it seemed like a good time to fit the Profec I had had on the shelf for 2 years, and get Jez to chip me.

running stage 1A, I was now suffering a lack of adhesion, so a set of R33 GTR wheels with nice chunkly tyres have been fitted. well nearly. however Arch enemy sorted that

During his visit Phil found the previously good NS rear arch was also fillered

It now goes and handles quite nicely, but stopping has become an issue. Fortunately Dan and Paul are both breaking their cars, and I got there first.
    a hub swap with Dan has provided a decent handbrake, and Pauls 345 disks and calipers are going on soon

That's it for now.

Then I made a mistake, and looked at how much I had spent.

£34,000

that is everything. original purchase, all the repairs and parts, petrol, tax, insurance, everything.

56p a mile , or £93 a week

however most of the time, I would say it's definately been worth it.

Looking to the future, I can't see many mods that are now needed. maybe a few little projects could be finished off though

Interior light mod
    cruise control
    total closure
    mpg gauge
    etc
    etc

more pressing, and probably more vital to her long term future will be the dreaded rot. although having seen what Petrol's been up to, to make sure his survives, I may just invest in a good broom for the drive

Rides
    Wow- I will never ever look up how much Ive spent on mine. House deposit......?!

Rides
    How can you have a project thread with no pics?

Rides
    close your eyes and think of a red S14A on R33 GTR wheels.

that's it really. ohh and sexy clear indicators.

ohh and no chin spoiler

Rides
    time to update. the rot won
    lots of parts for sale soon.

Rides

There must be enough good metal left, to fold up into some sort of frame to carry the engine, the axle and you. It's anybody really needs.

A welder, an angle grinder and a decent compressor to feed it is all you need.

Rides
    the windscreen isn't rusty, but that will be a bugger to weld. same for the tyres.

Rides
    plugs out, fuel pump fuse pulled, battery charged. cranked until oil pressure went out. replaced everything. fired up instantly. if only the body was as good as the mechanicals