Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Where have you mounted your oil cooler?

Rides
    I have mine mounted where the old screen wash bottle was and it was fine up until i decided to wipe out a corner marker at the weekender

It was a real freak accident though and the corner markers were massively over engineered. Its not very often you clip a corner marker and do £500 worth of damage to your car.....

The new Mocal core is back in exactly the same place now and i have no plans to locate it anywhere else.

Picture of the old cooler located is earlier in this thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by sideways14a View Post
    Christ i would bang that harder than a barn door in a hurricane.

Rides
    Safely tucked up behind the grill, not the best for flow but has never let the oil temp soar since.
    Crude but vibration free mounting not to fatigue the cooler.

Rides
    Used to have mine between the intercooler and rad, but then stuck it here

Possibly runs a tiny bit cooler, but only a few degrees.
    bstmeetbllk

Rides

Mine's between the rad and the intercooler - shit pic but you can just make it out on the right there.

Rides
    never used one.

Never had any problems.

Would rather have a baffled sump (proper one, ie g-reddy)

Its not hot enough here to warrant one, for the 2 days a year the temps rise above 30*

Rides
    i mounted mine where the oem ic was and mounted one with 13row with termostatic mocal, the termostat is open all time letting the oil go to the filter in normal way and to the cooler too, when it closes it force the oil to pass to the cooler. i mount the oil temp sensor on the filter side and the max reading is 85ºc for now but i think it is a bit strange because i can see a pressure drop but no oil temp rise, so maybe is not the best place for it?

Rides
    I had my 19-row Setrab between the IC and watercooler. On track that was not enough to cool a Stage 1 CA. The oiltemp went past 120'C after only a few laps. Winged my sump an moved the oilcooler to the wing as well. Hope this will help.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by ricardomendes View Post
    i mounted mine where the oem ic was and mounted one with 13row with termostatic mocal, the termostat is open all time letting the oil go to the filter in normal way and to the cooler too, when it closes it force the oil to pass to the cooler. i mount the oil temp sensor on the filter side and the max reading is 85ºc for now but i think it is a bit strange because i can see a pressure drop but no oil temp rise, so maybe is not the best place for it?
    Max?

Oil doesn't working till 85*

It's doing more harm then good!

Rides
    Thanks for your input guys. The car's used on track, properly, and I have seen high temps so therefore I will be fittng a Tomei baffled sump and a mocal oil cooler. Obviously when it's on the road it won't need the additional cooling as I won't be driving like a luney and that's why I bumped this thread. I will be fitting the cooler end of, I'm just not sure where at the moment. If it will not restrict the flow of air too much to the IC and rad then I'm seriously considering putting it behind the number plate out front. As said, on track the plate comes off. I suppose that area for the most part is covered by bumper and number plate so whacking a cooler in there shouldn't affect things too much.

The oil cooler turned up at my rents yesterday so I'll pick it up tonight and toy with locations at the weekend.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by BeerBringer View Post
    I had my 19-row Setrab between the IC and watercooler. On track that was not enough to cool a Stage 1 CA. The oiltemp went past 120'C after only a few laps. Winged my sump an moved the oilcooler to the wing as well. Hope this will help.
    Strange.

As my stage 3a s14 on stock sump and no oil cooler was fine for as long as I could handle at blyton park sxoc weekender.

Stayed at about 100-110. Perfect with good oil

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Clive View Post
    Strange.

As my stage 3a s14 on stock sump and no oil cooler was fine for as long as I could handle at blyton park sxoc weekender.

Stayed at about 100-110. Perfect with good oil
    But you were only out for 5 mins at a time, with no front bumper and Blyton isn't the most punishing track especially the drift circuit they set up. Heck, my temps were fine all day and I was hooning it round the grip circuit.

At Snetterton, on the 300 circuit the car is used harder and faster and on a warm day I was having to keep a careful eye on my oil temp gauge. After 5-10 laps I was having to come off as temps were getting upto 130+. I usually see over 100 degs crusing at 70-80 on the M way on a warm day.

Rides
    I reckon there's enough room in front of the IC
    Attached Images Attached Images

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by BLAKTOOTH View Post
    But you were only out for 5 mins at a time, with no front bumper and Blyton isn't the most punishing track especially the drift circuit they set up. Heck, my temps were fine all day and I was hooning it round the grip circuit.

At Snetterton, on the 300 circuit the car is used harder and faster and on a warm day I was having to keep a careful eye on my oil temp gauge. After 5-10 laps I was having to come off as temps were getting upto 130+. I usually see over 100 degs crusing at 70-80 on the M way on a warm day.
    I was out on the drift and grip sessions fella

over half an hour at one point.

and did also have a bumper

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Clive View Post
    I was out on the drift and grip sessions fella

over half an hour at one point.

and did also have a bumper
    As I said, Blyton isn't big or wild enough to get the car too hot. Mine was also fine.