Thread: Question for builders/gardeners/serious DIYers...

Rides

Question for builders/gardeners/serious DIYers...

Does anyone know the “correct” (i.e. legal and most environmentally friendly) way of getting rid of 2 cu mtrs of poor quality soil and 1 cu mtr of rubble (including strong concrete and stones not just bricks and mortar) ?

Do I just get a 4 yard skip and chuck it all in together ?

Any tips on making it "easy" ? Its currently in maxibags and behind a raised bed in a part of my garden that you can't get anything wider than a wheelbarrow to.

Rides
    Before you bin it, have you any building projects coming up ... the rubble might make esxcellent hardcore for laying paths, driveways, bases etc ?

Personally though, in the past, I have just hired a skip and binned it ... if there is one thing I have learnt this last comple of years its - "bin it"

Rides
    Put an add up in your local freecycle group.

People always want soil, especially since spring has sprung and gardeners will collect soil, some would even pay. But seeing you want rid, easier to offer it for free. It will go.

Rubble would be the same IMO, when we sorting our garden could have used rubble when we formed the base.

Rides
    Use a skip for the concrete (unless you need hardcore for something else) and the soil too, unless you can find somewhere in the garden for it. Mixing compost into the poor soil will improve it if you decide to keep it.

You can hire little diggers called bobcats (which are an absolute hoot to drive and very narrow) if you want to get it all into the skip easily.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by gonzomagic View Post
    Put an add up in your local freecycle group.

People always want soil, especially since spring has sprung and gardeners will collect soil, some would even pay. But seeing you want rid, easier to offer it for free. It will go.

Rubble would be the same IMO, when we sorting our garden could have used rubble when we formed the base.

The Gonzo is spot on there . Much cheaper and easier

Though i help run a local site for the other side to freecycle called Freegle . Follow the link in there should be a group local to you

http://www.ilovefreegle.org/

South East Region http://www.ilovefreegle.org/groups/south-east

Rides
    To answer some of the questions..

Its what I have left over now I have finished landscaping my garden. The hardcore is what I have left over now that I have knocked a load of stuff down/pulled it up and recycled as much hardcore as possible.

The soil is very poor quality. I have reused all the top soil and what is left is a stone-filled mix of clay, gravel and exhausted soil.

So...losing it in the garden or "keeping it for a rainy day" are not options.

I did wonder about a bobcat but I'm nto sure how this would help other than feeding my inner child Would they have a bigger bucket than a wheelbarrow ?

Freecycle might be an option for the hardcore. I hadn't thought of that although I have given loads of stuff away on freecycle in the past.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonny Wilkinson View Post
    To answer some of the questions..

Its what I have left over now I have finished landscaping my garden. The hardcore is what I have left over now that I have knocked a load of stuff down/pulled it up and recycled as much hardcore as possible.

The soil is very poor quality. I have reused all the top soil and what is left is a stone-filled mix of clay, gravel and exhausted soil.

So...losing it in the garden or "keeping it for a rainy day" are not options.

I did wonder about a bobcat but I'm nto sure how this would help other than feeding my inner child Would they have a bigger bucket than a wheelbarrow ?

Freecycle might be an option for the hardcore. I hadn't thought of that although I have given loads of stuff away on freecycle in the past.
    Even poor soil, most gardenwers wont use it on its own, most will mix it with compost or equivelent, and maybe others to make it a solid nutrient rich soil.

I know someone who needed a large quatity on soil he collected for free on freecycle. He was chuffed to bits.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by gonzomagic View Post
    Even poor soil, most gardenwers wont use it on its own, most will mix it with compost or equivelent, and maybe others to make it a solid nutrient rich soil.

I know someone who needed a large quatity on soil he collected for free on freecycle. He was chuffed to bits.

It might be worth a punt I suppose. I'm a gardener and I wouldn't put it on my garden if I had a need unless it was going to be more than 2 spade depths down.

Thanks for the help guys. I'm going to try freegle/freecycle and then hire a skip if it doesn't go.

EDIT: DON'T CLICK ON JOHNNY'S LINK BELOW IF YOU ARE AT WORK Think about it.
    Last edited by Jonny Wilkinson; 27-05-2010 at 20:47.

Rides
    LOL in advance for the advert that reads

'FREE HARDCORE'

Rides
    Dont forget to advertise on the internet for anyone searching

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en...=&oq=&gs_rfai=

Rides
    if all else fails your local council run tip will take hardcore and soil

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post

D'oh!

I just clicked that at work

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by McRearout View Post
    D'oh!

I just clicked that at work
    Surely your work dont mind you looking for free Aggregates at work ?

Thats my excuse anyway

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by MEL View Post
    if all else fails your local council run tip will take hardcore and soil
    3 cubic metres, Mel. That wouldn't even go in your old Stagea ! Not without breaking its back anyhow.

Rides
    We have just got rid of a load or hardcore and soil at our local tip - 19 rubble sacks full of hardcore and about 5 sacks of soil (only about 1m3 though).

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post

Just clicked this at work!