Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The "I'm Just Going to Polybush the Car" Project

Rides

The "I'm Just Going to Polybush the Car" Project

Right. So now I'm a member I thought I would stick up some pics and the progress over the last few months.

Firstly a bit of background. Bought the car June 2009 and it had in the region of 89k on the clocks. Completely standard, near enough rust free, fsh, only a couple of owners. Couple of niggly problems but nothing major.

The car now only has 16 more miles on it since when I bought it, and that was the drive home. Which my dad very kindly did as I wasnt insured. So over the last 14 months I have never driven the car

So June 2009:

Spent the car polishing and waxing it, as I do with any car

So from there I had been reading on here for a few months and the first "mod" I wanted to do is sort out the handling. So que lots of thread reading about Coilovers, ARB's, Diffs, Polybushes and Adjustable Arms. Funnily this little lot then arrived in the post:

Also sourced me a subframe and energy polybushes. This was promptly sent to the powder coaters:

March 2010:

I decieded that I should start stripping down the rear end. Drop the subframe and replace everything.

Rides
    Instantly ran into problems

Que this man:

(minus the little nipper)

Foe those how don't know this man...its Nick...aka Jesus-Ninja. This man is a hero

He offered to come help me on a Bank Holiday Friday, whilst his other half is pregnent and he was trying to move house

Nick turns up, I offer to make him a cup-o-tea. By the time I've made it and brought it out to him, all the offending bolts were off

This then left me with a car looking like this:

And my parent garage looking like this

So this is that standard running gear and looks pony. I had been reading alot of Petrols S14a thread and wanted to something similar but not quite so comprehensive.

After much swearing this little lot was off:

Some of this was pruchased, and the derusting began:

Now this wasnt overly sucessful so I went out and bought some vinigar

And after a wire brush:

In the mean time these had arrived:

New rear wheel bearings:

300ZX Calipers and Handbrake mechanism:

Set to work on the rear hubs too:

Rides
    New bearings were then pressed in, 2 coats of electrolux primer, 3 coats of machine enamal and 3 coats of laqueer:

Diff casing was then wire brushed:

This then may have turned up out of the blue, new from Japan

A 1.5Way Nismo GT Pro TT

and fitted:

In primer:

This then arrived:

and all painted, laqueered and assembled, with ali bushes too:

By this point all hub knuckles had been primed, painted, laqueered and the polybushed fitted:

Drive shafts were all completely stripped, ready for paint:

And finished:

In the mean time all bolts were sent off to the zinc plater:

The calipers looked like this:

And stripped:

One in primer and top coat:

New discs, conversion hoses and seal kits:

and pistons:

Back plates in primer:

These were then modifed to get rid of the lip with a dremel so that If I want I can run monster brakes on the rear at some point

I pride myself on having a keen eye for detail, hence the level that I'm going to with this, although it is taking forever

So thats it for now, updates ill come when there has been progress. Still got a few bits to buy for overhauling the front end, so hopefully it will be on the road next summer

Rides
    Looks like an incredibly clean car to begin with and some really nice new parts too

Down in the foam, playing with the string...
    Rides
    Damn you Exactly what I need/want to do to mine!! But as its driven every day I can't (yet...)

Looking good though mate. Make sure whilst all the bits are off you underseal the chassis too. Especially round the rear arches, all the subframe/suspension mounting points and behind the front wings

Should be solid as a solid thing when you get it all bolted back together

Rides
    Great work mate ,coming on well . where did you get the z32 rear calipers from and are they an easy fit with the cables and soforth ?

Rides
    This is exactly what i have planned for my car this winter! although,seeing how many bits it breaks down to,i'm getting a bit nervouss already!
    Like stated above,looks a mint car to start,and the work you have done is astounding!
    If you don't mind me asking,how much are those Greddy coolers? and how much were the bolt re zincing?

You only need two tools in life - wd-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the wd-40. If it shouldn't move and does, use the duct tape.

And if you can't fix it with a hammer,you've got an electrical problem!

Rides
    subscribing - top effort here

Rides
    good work so far, everything like new should be awesome when shes done...

only thing if i was you is by doing everything having never driven it i feel u might be missing out on the feeling you get from bolting on an uprated part then going for a drive, the "wow those arbs have really made a difference" etc feeling

good luck with the rest of the project tho

Rides
    Top marks to that man!! Nice one!! Thats gonna feel lovely when you actually get it on the road...

Rides
    Super clean car! I'll be watching this thread very closely as I want to do similar, just need to find the workshop space!

Rides
    great work mate, i've been doing my rear subframe this weekend and my work has been put to shame by yours!

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Teggers View Post
    Looking good though mate. Make sure whilst all the bits are off you underseal the chassis too. Especially round the rear arches, all the subframe/suspension mounting points and behind the front wings
    This was the plan. BUT Ive decieded against it for the time being, if I was going to do it then it would be like pretrols. The way I feel currently is, I just want to get it on the road. If I were to underseal it then who knows when it would be on the road. I have alot of commitment at work and college at the same time so September through to May, is pretty hectic.

But It will be done at some point, but in the mean time it wont be driven in the winter

Quote Originally Posted by sx boy View Post
    where did you get the z32 rear calipers from and are they an easy fit with the cables and soforth ?
    The Calipers, backing plates and all handbrake mechanism we got off ebay from someone breaking a car £80 delivered

Follow this guide here and you cant really go wrong:
    http://www.jull.co.uk/index.php/s14-...ar-brakes.html

Quote Originally Posted by pdh 14a View Post
    This is exactly what i have planned for my car this winter! although,seeing how many bits it breaks down to,i'm getting a bit nervouss already!

If you don't mind me asking,how much are those Greddy coolers? and how much were the bolt re zincing?
    Its really not that bad, i labelled them into seperate bags, but you soon learn which bolts are which. I can look at any bolt now and tell you what it is

Greddy plate was around the £300 mark with import duties. You can get cheaper ones for sub £100, but ive heard horror storoes of them going porous. Not ideal when its there to protect a £1k diff

Zinc coating was so far £130, but its been done in about 4 batches. That also included some random sand blasting of other parts and I think I have one more batch to go down there in the next couple of weks

Quote Originally Posted by sxbaz View Post
    only thing if i was you is by doing everything having never driven it i feel u might be missing out on the feeling you get from bolting on an uprated part then going for a drive, the "wow those arbs have really made a difference" etc feeling
    This is true, but I intend on doing this once and once alone, never again

Rides
    Nicely done fella, Im liking it. Your never going to know what a normal s-body feels like, only a nicely sorted one!! But fair dues to you getting it all done first, and preserving a dying breed!

Rides
    at the diff price! but all the zincing etc's not too bad!

You only need two tools in life - wd-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the wd-40. If it shouldn't move and does, use the duct tape.

And if you can't fix it with a hammer,you've got an electrical problem!

Rides
    Good to see your thread Hamish as I've just done exactly the same (even down to painting the driveshafts), although I didn't bother with zinc plating the bolts or the fancy diff.

For anyone else thinking of doing the same, it took me 6 weeks of working every evening after work and all the weekends. I refurbed my existing subframe rather than get a spare though.

Rides
    Top work so far mate, coming along very nicely.

Cheers Aj

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by pdh 14a View Post
    at the diff price! but all the zincing etc's not too bad!
    I know. When I told my mum she almost passed out.

Rides
    Looks good buddy, you could buy 2 of my runarounds for the cost of that diff though, crazy. Hope this all comes together soon enough so you can enjoy the thing. Im getting all excited as its engine in tomorrow weeeeeeeeeeee

Now with 400bhp....
    Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Hamish N View Post
    The Calipers, backing plates and all handbrake mechanism we got off ebay from someone breaking a car £80 delivered
    Thats almost £200 too cheap good buy that

Loving tis thread
    1998 Nissan 200sx s14a , 2000 std 5 speed with nismo supercoppermix clutch bn6 Sapphire Blue