Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The "I'm Just Going to Polybush the Car" Project

Rides
    Wow! Shiny! Awesome job you're doing fella - keep it up!
    Quote Originally Posted by Scottie
    JP will be back, he is like Christ, only he comes back more frequently

Rides
    fantastic work mate, i stripped all the underside yesterday and lastly the subframe comes off today. i'll be happy if mine turns out as well as that...is that a genuine greddy backplate or a japspeed type? looks very smart either way

nosmo - i had no trouble with my prop bolts, just used a regular 14mm ring spanner and gave them a tap with a rubber mallet...are they normally a pig then?

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by crouchy View Post
    How much did all the Zinc plating cost you fella?

I want to have all my bolts done when mine goes back up on the car

Also can you PM me how much your diff and backplate were and where you got them from

Excellent work, Lewis
    I think the plating has cost me in the region of £150 so far. Its been sent to them in several batches though.

As for the diff and back plate. Both were bought from RHDLapan, Diff was £1000 delivered with import fees and the back plate was ~£300 all in. Fitting of the diff cost me £150 from a local diff specilist

Quote Originally Posted by nosmo View Post
    Blimey thats looking good!

Whats the trick to getting the prop bolts off (apart from getting Jesus-ninja to come around to do it for you)?
    Nick came round and he had in his inventory a ground down 14mm (i think) ring spanner. Pop it on and then kick the out of it and they should crack off.

Quote Originally Posted by erykkrwawy View Post
    Awesome work, I'm at similar stage atm got The rear of the car stripped an takEn apart Ive got a problem with removing hubs with wheel bearings of the knukles tapping didn't help. How did u manage to split them. Best regards
    Take the hub and bearing and rest them on 2 vices so that the bearing isnt touching the work surface. Loosen the bolts off 3/4 turn and then get yourself a mallet and again smack the out of each bolt in turn. When all the bolts are flush with the hub again. Repeat and the bearing should eventually come away.

Cheers everyone else for the kind words

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by DeanS15 View Post
    fantastic work mate, i stripped all the underside yesterday and lastly the subframe comes off today. i'll be happy if mine turns out as well as that...is that a genuine greddy backplate or a japspeed type? looks very smart either way
    then?
    It's a genuine GReddy one mate. Heard about porous issues with the cheap ones, didnt want to risk it

Rides
    the rear sub frame looks awesome,it has definitely inspired me to do mine next summer,keep up 2 excellent work

Rides
    [/QUOTE]Take the hub and bearing and rest them on 2 vices so that the bearing isnt touching the work surface. Loosen the bolts off 3/4 turn and then get yourself a mallet and again smack the out of each bolt in turn. When all the bolts are flush with the hub again. Repeat and the bearing should eventually come away.[/QUOTE]

done appreciate yourhelp.thanks.

Rides
    Todays progress. Cracked on with the refurb of the Z32 calipers.

All bores cleaned out:

One side done

All done

Calipers got a bit grubby and chipped so I will paint them again tonight and then refit all the shim clips and pins

Rides
    Could have plated the calipers too! They look cool in black though.

Rides
    Cant plate non ferous metals . Suppose I could have got them anodized

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Hamish N View Post
    Cant plate non ferous metals . Suppose I could have got them anodized
    My local company was happy to plate mine. Don't know the technicalities of it though...

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr G View Post
    My local company was happy to plate mine. Don't know the technicalities of it though...
    What would be the point of plating a material that doesnt rust though

Rides
    no ally doesnt rust but it does corrode and look cack, thats why we get a lot of our parts clear annodised in work. stops the nasty furring that ally does when left bare

Rides
    Had some of this lying around

Gave the discs a quick once over.

They will also be sprayed with Carcoon CSP Fluid to stop the other surfaces going rusty as the car will not be used till next spring now

Rides
    Looking good mate,

Where did you get the bolts Zinc Plated?
    I'm in need of having mine done, do you just give them to them all rusty?

Rides
    I used a company called Colin Chemical Blacking, seen here:

http://www.collinschemicalblacking.co.uk/

They are fairly local to me, dont do a bad job. When I first started I was putting all the bolts through vinigar to get rid of all the rust and then wire brushing them. Its long and drawn out though, So about half way though I just decieded to give them rusty bolts to sort out.

I think the first couple of batches were cheaper as they needed less prep work/time (ie sand blasting). But when sending them stuff I always gave them an inventory of every bolt tht I had sent them. Still mananged to loose a couple of things though

Rides
    Awesome dude, i may have to start labeling up sandwich bags with all my bolts in etc. If i sent you the bolts and some money ontop for yourself could you get them to do mine for me?

Cheers Lewis

Rides
    I labelled all of mine into bags mate, but you soon get to know which bolts are which. There's probs only 30-40 nuts and bolts on the rear subframe. I'm afraid that I couldn't get a chance because of the hours I work. I had to get a mate to drop them off and pick them up.

I sure there is a metal plater in Cornwall that would be closer to you? I just googled metal platers and just did a bit of research .

Rides
    Great work so far mate. Subframe etc is really coming along nicely.

Cheers Aj

Rides
    if your looking at cleaning a big batch of bolts/nuts/small parts and dont fancy scrubbing every bolt have a look on ebay for ultrasonic baths, put in your vinegar and turn it on, job done, we used to use more industrial sized units as we would do fire/flood restoration, so were always cleaning rusty bolts/nuts/parts, the ones you get on ebay will be for jewelry, but should still do the job to an extent, heard of guys using them to help clean injectors too

Rides
    great job there!!!