Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How much is asbestos disposal?

Trader: Plus Four Engineering Plus4E's Avatar
    Rides

How much is asbestos disposal?

The roof of my single garage is asbestos/cement currugated sheeting. Anyone got any idea how much it's likely to cost to get shot of it?
    Where ever you go, never take an idiot with you. You can be sure you'll find one when you get there.

Quote Originally Posted by TomK View Post
    The lower front bar was also showing the typical signs of any metal attached to an s13

Rides
    Nothing if you bury it under the concrete floor of your new garage...

Rides
    It's a free service at the only tip around here that accepts it.

There is a strict code to follow though:

Removing asbestos from your home

If you do choose to remove the non-licensable asbestos materials yourself it will help if you take the following precautions:

* wear a dust mask approved for asbestos;
    * wear a disposable overall
    * keep other people away from the working area;
    * wet the material well with water containing a little washing up liquid; check that there is no potential for contact with electricity first;
    * always remove whole sheets or components; do not break them up
    * place any loose or small items in strong plastic labelled bags and seal;
    * clean up all dust with a damp cloth and then seal it in a plastic bag whilst damp;
    * do not use a domestic vacuum cleaner as dust may pass through the filter.

If you have removed asbestos from your home yourself, it will need to be disposed of separately from your normal household waste. You may be able to arrange to have it collected or there may be special facilities in your area you can use to dispose of hazardous waste. Contact your local council for further details.

The following link will let you enter details of where you live and then take you to your local authority website where you can find out more about removing asbestos.

* Find out about asbestos removal
    Quote Originally Posted by sideways14a View Post
    Christ i would bang that harder than a barn door in a hurricane.

Rides
    I did this a couple of years ago, think I made a thread too.

I got rid of an entire asbestos garage, I took it to bits, double wrapped it in really thick polythene (from jewsons on a roll), gaffer taped it up and put it in the asbestos skip at the local tip.

Simples

Rides
    You should bags you feet up too, as the dust can easily get into your laces.

Rides
    Cost us about £600 to get rid of about 500kg - 1ton at work the other year.

Bury it

Rides
    If you get a company to do it you are looking at ~£900 (this is what I have been quoted by 3 different companies for the removal of my old garage

if you do it yourself, it will be free as most Recycling plants now, take it of non-trade people for free, just make sure its wrapped in plastic.

Ultimately though, remove the roof yourself, and bury it as hardcore for the rest of the new garage build

Rides
    Burn it.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    If you get a company to do it you are looking at ~£900
    £900. Pleural Plaques. Shadow of death looming over. £900. Death.....

Sorry, but in my game I've seen far too many a nasty drawn out horrible painful death claim to even contemplate handling the stuff myself, regardless of how careful you think you could be.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Jeremy View Post
    Burn it.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by arry View Post
    Sorry, but in my game I've seen far too many a nasty drawn out horrible painful death claim to even contemplate handling the stuff myself, regardless of how careful you think you could be.
    if its not damaged though there isnt any danger .... they are solid roof tiles, if you dont go breaking them up its no different to walking in and out your garrage with the tiles above you.

You are only unscrewing them and lifting them off, sticking them in a sealed plastig bag so they wont break up when thrown in the skip

Rides

Get a couple of local pikeys round to do it, stuff them a hundred quid and maybe a few old bits of copper and they will be happy.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by marko14a View Post
    It doesn't burn well, but.......if its damp and you happen to put it on a bonfire by mistake :cough: it goes off like a bomb

I'd put it in the hardcore base. I have demolished an old asbestos roof, not big. No PPE so I'm sure I'll croak in the next year or so.

Rides
    Asbestos roofs are white asbestos. Sure it isn't pleasant if you grind it up into a dust and inhale it, but it isn't as dangerous as brown or blue asbestos (the types used in fire retardants)

Most asbestosis is caused by blue and brown asbestos

Wear a mask, take it down and if you aren't comfortable breaking it up to use as hardcore, take it down the tip.

Believe it or not asbestos is found in far more products than you may think. Just remember there are different types.

Rides
    Seeing some worrying comments in here about this.

DO NOT BURN IT.
    DO NOT USE IT AS HARDCORE
    (you'd have to break it up therefore releaseing the fibre's).

We have had asbestos training at our place and the first thing they pointed out was that white/blue/brown etc is all just as nasty stuff.

THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS SAFE ASBESTOS.

Personally I wouldn't do it myself but that's because I know what it can do.

The reason it's expensive to remove is because it's so dangerous.

Yes there are lots of products that have asbestos in them and some are ok to remove, like vinyl floor tiles are they flex and do not break.

If you DO remove it yourself then please make sure you get a proper respirator mask meant for asbestos removal (a normal mask won't work) get a proper set paper overall's meant for asbestos removal and dispose of them straight after use. Also cover your shoe's and if possible the clothes you wear, throw them away afterwards.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Daz View Post
    We have had asbestos training at our place and the first thing they pointed out was that white/blue/brown etc is all just as nasty stuff.

THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS SAFE ASBESTOS.
    They tell you that because most muppets wouldn't be able to differentiate between them, but White asbestos carries less health risks than blue or brown... (but you could say which would you rather have? Arsenic poisoning or VX Gas.)

Quote Originally Posted by Daz
    Yes there are lots of products that have asbestos in them and some are ok to remove, like vinyl floor tiles are they flex and do not break.
    It's also found in Talc and was used up until recently in the manufacture of kids crayons.

Quote Originally Posted by Daz
    If you DO remove it yourself then please make sure you get a proper respirator mask meant for asbestos removal (a normal mask won't work) get a proper set paper overall's meant for asbestos removal and dispose of them straight after use. Also cover your shoe's and if possible the clothes you wear, throw them away afterwards.
    I'd even go as far as full decontamination afterwards.

Oh as Daz said, do not try to burn it. The asbestos itself won't burn, just the compounds that are used to bind it together and you will end up with Asbestos fibres being dispersed.
    Last edited by AshT_200; 19-08-2010 at 11:35.

Rides
    Its free for a limited amount at our local councilplaces. you have to wrap it in a certain type of stuff, bit like visqueen (?spelling?) or other type of sheeting.

We took two lots, over 2 months, and gave to different (but legitamate) address's

Rides
    I wouldn't call someone a 'muppet' purely because they can't tell the difference between the asbestos.

De-contamination would be advised. For some asbestos removal they fit double air-locks to the building aswell.

I still recommend getting someone else to remove it for you.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by AshT_200 View Post
    It's also found in Talc and was used up until recently in the manufacture of kids crayons.
    Not true, uninformed myth. Talc has some fibres in it, which have been termed "asbestos-like", but this isn't the same as containing asbestos. Same for crayons

http://www.snopes.com/medical/toxins/crayons.asp

Rides
    Good luck finding Asbestos in any new products now.

Think even Artex stopped using asbestos in the 70's.

It's still mined in Canada though.