Page 1 of 27 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Dare's 14A Project - The Middle

Rides

Dare's 14A Project - The Middle

Hi all, wanted to make a small bit of progress before starting this so there'd be something interesting for you to read
    I'm taking the 'street cruiser' route with this car rather than a full on drift machine as it won't be touching a track any time soon. Wanting to keep things classy but also give it a lot of presence on the road and make its power known.

Bought the car off MagicMat on this forum and instantly fell in love and was such a massive shift from my 1.1 Peugeot 106, so proceeded to clean and clean until it reached a level i could be proud of:

Next, because i was short of pennies after sorting out the insurance i opted for some cheap modifications, including clear side repeaters and indicators:

After a bit of self debating i decided to refurbish the alloys myself and spray white. I knew they'd either look awful or really clean up the look of my car and i am very impressed with the result i got. Some people at my work disagree though and aren't fans, what are your opinions? (you might also spot the rear windows have been tinted, still to attempt the rear screen though:

And finally this is a photo from this afternoon, you might not see much of a difference but the windscreen has been replaced as when i bought the car there was a large crack along it. Also put 2 hours into cleaning it yesterday so wanted to show off my hard work:

Couldn't be happier with how this is going and looking forward to picking up speed with the project as my next plans include exhaust, 2nd hand alloy wheels and some coilovers. I know this is nothing new but i hope i'm living up to the high standards set on this forum. Thanks for any comments!

Last edited by Dare; 21-11-2010 at 11:53.

Rides
    That's a really nice clean example mate!

Definitely the best colour

Rides
    ooo i think i may nick your white wheel idea mate. Mine is pretty much the same and the wheels just brighten it up! Keep this updated.

List some more plans! im nosey!

Rides
    Thanks for the positive comments!

Quote Originally Posted by Bud180 View Post
    ooo i think i may nick your white wheel idea mate. Mine is pretty much the same and the wheels just brighten it up! Keep this updated.

List some more plans! im nosey!
    I found that the white wheels actually give the impression that the blue is a much deeper/darker colour which i really like. Also the wax i've been using darkens it some and keeps it looking wet and reflective (for a few days anyway).

As for future plans it will be the new exhaust next but debating whether to do it before the MOT as i see a lot of people failing on emissions. If it's just a cat back would there be any reason for the emissions to rise?
    And like i said i need to tint the rear screen as my first attempt failed miserably. Might have to shell out for a pro to do it as i'm not sure it's worth the stress

Rides
    Looking very clean wish mine was that clean lol, not a big fan of the white painted wheels and tints tho, but thats just my opinion.

What about changing the original side lights to the crystal style?

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by xpcobra View Post
    Looking very clean wish mine was that clean lol, not a big fan of the white painted wheels and tints tho, but thats just my opinion.

What about changing the original side lights to the crystal style?
    I think they have a marmite effect on people, can't please everybody i suppose.

Is it that much of a difference? Thinking about it now i bet it would help the look of the car actually, i have tried to give a clean, 'crystalish' look across the car so they could help . Will have to find out the cost and availability of those, thanks.

Rides
    Looks really nice mate, you've done me proud ! told you it just wanted a good polish

I look at the first picture and then at my golf behind it and think..."kept the wrong car!"

lol,

Glad your looking after it mate. Keep us up todate.

also love the new signature, i'll have to tap you for one at some point

When you need an exhaust give SlideMotorsport a shout, I'm sure he may be able to do you a deal (dont think he has one in stock atm tho)

Rides
    It's been a whole month since i last posted here and i've had a little bit of action during that time to share with you.
    The Good Stuff: I fitted an 'unbranded' stainless steel 3" cat-back system at the end of October. I know it's not going to give the performance or durability that an Apex or Blitz would but for the price i couldn't turn it down and it's so much better looking from the back now (or as my Dad put it, 'what's that monstrosity on the back of your car!')

Also found the origin of a really annoying scrape/squeak that was in my engine bay. My Blitz air filter was rubbing on the top of an unused screw that was meant for the stock air filter box. Just covered the end of that and the squeak's disappeared. Out of interest how are people 'holding up' their filters? Mine's just resting where it lies at the moment but i want it to be pointing straight rather than down for aesthetic and air flow reasons. I got this bracket with it but not sure where i can use...??

The Bad Stuff: Last week i could smell petrol, in fact for the last month i could smell petrol after pulling up and getting out my car but i just thought it would fix itself... But on Wednesday it stank of it so i couldn't ignore any longer. In my work shirt and pants i crawled under the car only to see this rusty fuel line:

I prodded it to check it's stability and as i did i got covered in petrol as it seeped out and across the underside of my car. Gotta admit that i panicked. Fortunately i had local recovery with my insurance so it got picked up and fixed and all it took was about 3 hours and £60 so i can't complain at that. I did want to fix it up myself but my Dad wasn't a fan of that idea...

Also haven't been able to clean it, might have been 3 weeks now but the weather's been terrible and i just haven't had time. Aching to get to that today but can't if the rain doesn't pass. If i do than i'll finish this update tonight with a nice glossy picture
    Last edited by Dare; 24-11-2010 at 15:43.

Rides
    good work lad keep it up,

Rides
    Hmmmm, mine smells of fuel a bit sometimes. Thought it was just coz it was running rich but i shall investigate now its off the road.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Bud180 View Post
    Hmmmm, mine smells of fuel a bit sometimes. Thought it was just coz it was running rich but i shall investigate now its off the road.
    Rear drivers side(forward of the rear wheel), just crawl to a foot in and look up and if you see a rusty fuel line then you'll have found your problem

Didn't get time to take a pic but trust me that it looks stunning at the moment

Rides
    Looks immaculate, i remember when mine looked all nice like that and standard too! Nice job on the polishing

Rides
    Its looking spot on fella the air filter bracket will go to the Inner wing, just drill a hole and bolt it in!

Rides
    Thanks for the advice Matt, will get the confidence to do some drilling after my MOT at the end of this month. Actually excited for it because it WILL need some work and making my car healthier feels pretty good even if it is costly. Welding on the passenger rear is a definite but then i think i'll be in the market for an anti-roll bar and at the worst some suspension(which i will be investing in soon, just hope the garage don't find that i need it before xmas!)

Just wanted to add these to show off the pose my car now pulls off with the exhaust (you might also spot my old 106 that looked a ton better when it had me to polish it and the fat alloy wheels):

Rides
    really like what your doing with it mate!
    I see you were on 106owners. I have a rallye im selling at the moment in a bid to buy a s14a after xmas!

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by str18 View Post
    really like what your doing with it mate!
    I see you were on 106owners. I have a rallye im selling at the moment in a bid to buy a s14a after xmas!
    Thanks! Yeah i used to be on 106owners all the time, now 6hrs each day is spent here instead
    Only got as far as some alloys, subtle spoiler and some angel eyes on a 1.1 but it was all fun and some good lessons learnt for moving on to this car. I'd wait till after xmas too if i were you, not sure how i'm going to fare this first winter in my 200

Rides
    looking good fella, but the photo quality isnt amazing

Im a previous 306 gti6 owner myself !

Rides
    Better pics of how i had my 106 and my mate's celica:

Got the 200 in for an MOT tomorrow at 1... Just hope it's not going to turn up something that i can't afford to sort out. Will post here if it's good news, if this thread hasn't had a visit from me tomorrow evening then you know i'll be drowning my sorrows somewhere.

Rides
    good luck with the MOT

Rides
    real Peugeot owners have a 205 first...

1.1 205 style FTW ;D