Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Old push bikes when you were a kid

Rides
    My Favoritest ever bike

raleigh equipe 1980- 12 speed

I just loved it .... got rid of it when Mountain biking became the in thing ... Still miss it to this day, it was literally part of me ..... and I dont mean becuase the saddle was thin and wedged up my butt.

But I spent everyday on that bike, we were inseperable ....... If it wasnt for women, I think I would look her up marry her and have a couple of little pink girls bikes ...... then it would end in a messy divorce, she would take the pink bikes and my house and I would be left with some 2008 slapper of a Kona with peeling off stickers, thats great fun, but not good for me

Rides

I had one of these with sound effects!!

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by strawberryS14a View Post

Oh, that's cool! Looks familiar too! Reminds me of the Vektar,

but I think that black one was out first. I had a Boxer!

Rides
    No way man, Lizards were for squares!

I had a Mustang as well - black and white with the 'horse spec' fade

Then elevated to a Raleigh Mantis, which served me well through teh start of my proepr bike career, and took a LOT of lake jumping abuse. I learn to bunny hop on that bike

Down in the foam, playing with the string...
    Rides
    No pics of my actual one but this googled image is pretty close bar colour. I loved my Raleigh Skyway. Mine was gold lacquered over the chrome and had black pads.

Pulled, what I thought at the time, some awesome stunts on it! Wheelies and everything!! (and we had a half pipe we went to play on Cue first broken bones...)

Rides
    the best bike I ever had was a Raleigh Amazon. It had an amazing life and was used every day for years without fail. I had a speedo on it an had something like 6400 miles on it before it got knicked (for the first time).

My mum reported it to the police as a black bike it was infact a dark green so the police had no chance. About a year passed without seeing my beloved Amazon.

Then... one of the kids at school (who I knew of but didnt have much to do with) dad was a policeman, he was going through a room of unidentified loot collected from a recent house raid.
    The bike caught his eye and he started fiddling with the speedo and saw this bike had covered 6400 miles.
    He came home that evening and was telling his son (kid from school) about this bike which someone had apparetly done over 6000 miles on.
    Some how, this kid had heard someone at school (me) had a bike with a massive amount of miles on it.
    He came and found me at school the next day with the gleeful news that he knew of a bike with more miles than mine - to which I explained mine had been knicked. We put two and two together, I gave him my home phone number. The dad went back to to re-look at the bike for any identifiable marks, phoned me up and unbelievably - it was my bike Two days later I got it back

The police then recomended getting the bake tagged - which they did for my by stamping my postcode to the underside of the crank. Another mate suggested writing my name and address on a piece of screwed up paper and wedge it in the handle bar tube accessable by removing the grip.

Unfortunately, it was only another couple of years until it was knicked again this time it was ~1995. Reported to the police but heard nothing.
    Then, last year 2009, whislt walking past a local shop that sells second hand bikes something caught my eye - it was only a Raleigh Amazon
    No speedo but I took a closer look - there were scratches I remembered and the underside of the crank had been shaved down to remove a tag. It was mine I was sure of it.
    The grips were the original so I went in to speak to the shop owner - I convinced him to let me remove one of the grips just to see. Pulled off the right hand grip and there it was - a scrunched up peice of paper with my name and paretns address still wedged in the same place I placed it 14 years ago.

I presume I could have demanded it back - but I didnt need another bike (and essentially it was a pretty shit bike). It was for sale for £15 and I am gutted I didnt buy it there and then. That bike and I were clearly linked by something

Sorry for the long story but to this day I still find it astonishing that a bike was knicked, found and identified by a curious policeman impressed by the miles it had covered. And that; that policemans son went to my school and knew of me only as the kid with a well used bike
    Then to be knicked again and turn up 14 years later within 1/4mile from my house for sale.

ahh.. the memories
    Last edited by The Chef; 08-11-2010 at 09:56.

Rides
    I always wanted a Raleigh Burner...the mag one..... a quick Google and :

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/...mpaign=froogle

Re-released!

Rides
    I used to have a Raleigh Glider when I was younger and after that a Burner. The Burner was a great bike It used to have Skyways, Mushroom grips and Dia comp breake leavers and calipers.. until it got stollen by some wa*k*r outside Argos in Dunstable..
    Last edited by MASH; 08-11-2010 at 11:01.

Rides

Bloody hell. The number of memories that just came flooding back with that picture. I thought I was the coolest motherfucker in the world riding around on that, setting off sirens and bleepy sound effects. I didn't know who Samuel L Jackson was at the time, but I imagine he rode one too.

Rides
    First bike I can remember was a white Raleigh BMX with blue stickers and red pads, was brand new and would've been out in about 1987/88 I guess, can't find a reference to it anywhere on the 'net.

My mate had an older Burner and I constantly mocked him, my BMX was awesome.

Then got some POS brown Universal mountain bike from Toys R Us one Christmas which fell apart in about 3 months.

Then got a Raleigh Max with grey grips, saddle and tyres which lasted me until I got the Gary Fisher I ride around on now.
    Last edited by Yakko; 08-11-2010 at 11:34. Reason: For some reason my retarded fingers typed BMW instead of BMX, twice!

Rides
    God that was fun just searching for them, so many good memorys

Hand me down from my brother Which I had more cuts and brusis from than anything else I can remember, Who ever thought bike this shape were a good idea probably went on to design maestros

A Raleigh Burner, from a 2nd hand bike shop I was sooooo happy that day, even lifted ito onto the bottom of my bed so I could look at it , Sure my pads were blue but I remember the the name and the brace under the cross bar.

Rides
    I had one of these heaps. A Raleigh Activator. I thought i was pimp as hell cruising around on one of these until the forks snapped.

Had loads of BMXs. mostly built around the frames

S&M Mad dog.

95 S&M Holmes

those are a couple of the oldies i had. The more recent frames that i would buy in an instant if i still could would be an original Hoffman Taj, a standard trail boss (not 250) and a Sunn 2bosse.
    Last edited by Prior; 09-11-2010 at 00:11.

Rides
    I had a chipper, chopper, Equipe and Diamond back all second hand.

Few years ago I bought a chipper at an auto jumble along with a 21"(?) racer frame and a chainsaw engine.
    An afternoon of cutting had a raked frame long forked chipper...next day a centrifugal clutch driven chainsaw engine was put where crank was...got too excited..took it for a spin.

My life, 12k rpm chainsaw driven minibike
    I'm just under 6ft...was fine until realised no brakes and almost ran me best mate and his Mrs over...point proven, project operational....NEXT!!

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by GAV200 View Post
    t I remember the the name and the brace under the cross bar.

Bracing has gone on the re-issue. I guess they can make them stronger now.

Rides
    I had various hand-me-downs 'til I was 14 then from 14 to 16 the only bike I had access to was my Mum's which had a wicker basket on the front. I got a bit of ribbing for that.

We used to clip bits of cardboard on to the frame with clothes pegs so they poked in the wheel spokes and made a clicking noise.

Ah, the innocence of youth.

My family clubbed together to buy me my first new bike for my 18th birthday - a blue Sun Solo racer with 10 gears. Over 30 years later I still use it to do the school run when I'm at home. Its starting to look a bit tatty now mind you but I reckon it will probably last me til I'm too old to ride a bike. ...unless some toerag nicks it.

Rides

That is too I always wanted one of those, alas santa never played ball

My first mountain bike was a white Peugeot of some variety when I was about 5 or 6, moved on to my dream bike at the time, the Raleigh Lizard:

Out grew that and got a Raleigh Gritstone:

And then finally bought my Specialized Rockhopper FS when I was 15 which I still have to this day (should upgrade sometime):

Rides
    this thread just brought back a bunch of memories.

That one with the sound effects, i had totally forgotten that they existed!!!! awesome.

i had:

Raleigh burner,
    some apollo thing with disk wheels, i was jealous of my mates that had spokes, until i crashed, smashing one disks revealing SPOKES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i then smashed them all off!

that bike broke so i then had an emmelle thing which was awful! that got stolen.

then i had a muddy fox explorer mega! Which i first got into real mountain biking with. 1st real air and 1st bunny hop! We gave it to our neighbour who still uses it

Then my 1st real mountain bike, a Specialized Rockhopper, the last of the cromo frames, was metallic blue and im gutted i ever sold it as it rode so well!

then i got a sunn dual +, which snapped a few times an insurance got me my Specialized S works DH (2001) Sadly, after ten years of fun memories a crack appeared in the headtube in Whistler, so she was sent back to her maker, and that is how i ended up where i am now, with a stunning 2009 demo 7 as a warranty replacement

Rides
    I had a grifter, a burner and a chopper.

The older kids always took interest in the 'alloy' wheels (?) on my chopper.
    Then it was stolen.....

Rides
    Nice thread. My first bike was a Rocky 10

Followed by a nice blue Raleigh Tomahawk. I wrercked the front of that bike by doing jumps.

Then I had a Blue Mini Burner (not mine in pic)

I wrecked that bike too, by doing jumps.

After that I went mountain bike with a 15 speed Peugeot Lynx. I was the first in the area to get a Mountain bike. A year later, the Raleigh Mustang came out, but was only 10 speed.

That got pinched so I had a 1991 Giant Stonebreaker (not mine in pic)

I rode that poor bike into the ground so when I was 14 I started saving for a Kona Cindercone like this, a 1993 model, without the ridiculous seat:

I snapped the frame so I had it replaced with a 1998 frame under warranty, which I still have and is my 'hybrid' style bike now.

I also have a Boardman Pro HT for off the beaten track.

Rides
    I loved the Tomahawk. Such a cool litttle bike. I had one for a little while, but then moved up to my marlboro medallion 5 speed racer when I was 10.