Thread: Save the Nurnburgring

Rides

Save the Nurnburgring

For all those that care about it, have a look at this.

http://jalopnik.com/5684589/save-the-nrburgring

Rides
    You got to be kidding me. Oh man.. governments taken in by the lure of private investment. FFS, when will governments learn?

I'd hoped to do the Nurburgring at least once in my life, I hope they haven't screwed it for everyone :-(

Rides
    So let me get this straight.

The government sold the Ring to a private party who then bumped up the turnout figures to get funding to build unneccessary buildings which aren't used to thier optimum.

Now the government has found out and wants the money?

Is that right?

Rides
    Nooooo!!!!!!!

Rides
    Makes me even more glad I managed to drive it this year. I'll fucking weep if I can never drive it again though.

Rides
    I hope I can get there next summer...

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Daz View Post
    So let me get this straight.

The government sold the Ring to a private party who then bumped up the turnout figures to get funding to build unneccessary buildings which aren't used to thier optimum.

Now the government has found out and wants the money?

Is that right?

No. Not quite.

They bumped up the figures to justify such a big development. They then got some funding from the local government and were supposed to get the rest privately.

The private money didn't materialise but by that time the build had used all the local government funding (and then some) and collapse would have threatened a lot of local businesses so the local gov. coughed for the whole lot.

Most of it is now sitting empty and everyone is wondering where the money is coming from to pay back the invested money & interest as its obvious that the "projected" customers don't exist.

Happens all too often in this country just mostly on things people aren't quite so passionate about.

Most speculative developers develop (and speculate) with other people's money...who usually invest out of greed (private investors) or through lack of control (public money). Public servants who are responsible for allocating public money should, IMO, be accountable for the consequences. If that were the case, Lord Coe would now be minus his testicles and, IMO, that would be a good thing.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonny Wilkinson View Post
    No. Not quite.

They bumped up the figures to justify such a big development. They then got some funding from the local government and were supposed to get the rest privately.

The private money didn't materialise but by that time the build had used all the local government funding (and then some) and collapse would have threatened a lot of local businesses so the local gov. coughed for the whole lot.

Most of it is now sitting empty and everyone is wondering where the money is coming from to pay back the invested money & interest as its obvious that the "projected" customers don't exist.

Happens all too often in this country just mostly on things people aren't quite so passionate about.

Most speculative developers develop (and speculate) with other people's money...who usually invest out of greed (private investors) or through lack of control (public money). Public servants who are responsible for allocating public money should, IMO, be accountable for the consequences. If that were the case, Lord Coe would now be minus his testicles and, IMO, that would be a good thing.
    Ah right, thats pretty bloody bad.

I've dealt with developers in previous jobs that work like that. They love spending other people's money then walking off.

Rides
    that website was flagged up as a threat to my computer and blocked by mcafee
    http://sxoc.com/vbb/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=11238&dateline=1227414084
    Quote Originally Posted by S14 Stu View Post
    I'm not a big ford fan but the RS500 is a legend, you cannot take away from it its Icon status and to suggest that its a chavvy car is like saying Kirsten Scott Thomas is a council estate slapper

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Fake Ben Taylor View Post
    that website was flagged up as a threat to my computer and blocked by mcafee

My work 'puter didn't have a concern and its usually fairly grumpy about dodgy sites.