Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Garage- It's begun!

Trader: Plus Four Engineering Plus4E's Avatar
    Rides

Garage- It's begun!

OK, the contents of this post have been moved into the second post.

I'm going to use this post to brain dump things that folk might find useful.

What did things cost? Note, these are off the top of my head, and as good as I can remember, and there will be LOADS I have forgotten.
    • The garage itself (14ft wide, 38ft long) - £6,200 (I had to pay an extra £700 for the big door)
    • The concrete was about £2k, but there was A LOT! We ended up doing mass fill, and the far end, due to the slope, was 600mm deep. We could have gone for a retaining wall on strip footings and then fill with rubble and a 6" slab, but once you factored labour into it, there wasn't much in it, and not much concrete saved as building control wanted the strips to be 1m deep.
    • Rebar in the base - about £350
    • Rebar in the pit - about £200
    • Shuttering and pit build (inc materials) - I think this was about £2.5k. I used someone else as my block laying is crap, and I wanted it to be someone elses fault if the shuttering let go!
    • 50m of 16mm^2 T&E + roll of warning ribbon - about £370
    • Not done it at the time of writing, but reckon it's going to be about £1k to completely panel and insulate the inside - walls and roof
    • Excavation - I've had a mini digger in 3 times now - each time at about £150 for the day. Better off getting one that comes with a bloke who will operate it - twice the price per day but half the time, so save yourself the ballache
    • Paint for the floor - didn't go as far as I'd have liked, so in total £400
    • Sealing the floor (prior to painting) - two tubs at £27 each, although the second one only got half used.
    • Application to building control - I think this was about £300
    • Structural engineer - £500
    • Damp Proof Membrane - £150
    • Bloody great piles of shingle, type1, sand etc £400
    • Soak away (including pipes, silt trap, proper SUDS system, drainage channel across the front) - £400
    • waste pipe (used as a conduit for network cables and electric cable) - £70
    • Blue MDPE pipe (for hot water in, cold water in, waste water out - each run 50m) £100
    • Compressed air ring (excluding compressor) £300
    • Panelling - 50mm polystyrene in the walls, 75mm in the roof and 9mm ply over the walls and 3mm ply on the ceiling and white primer + eggshell £1k
    • Electrics - including installation / testing £1k
    • Work benches - £200

What would I do differently?
    • Put some temporary fencing up round the concrete slab whilst it was going off to protect it from the local wildlife.
    • Get the floor power floated to make it uber smooth.
    • Make the pit about 6" deeper!
    • The pipes I "buried" under the slab - I should have knocked up some concrete to put over them in advance to hold them still. When we did the pour they wanted to float. The ventilation to the pit survived, but the drainage from the pit did not.
    • Put more supports on the shuttering - don't underestimate the weight of deep concrete!
    • Don't underestimate how much it will trash the rest of your garden.
    • Maybe I would have made it wider, but then whatever you have, you think it could be bigger. I had entertained a notion of being able to get a pair of cars in side by side, but that's not realistic and I've plumped for putting some racking down each side whilst still leaving enough space to get around a car.
    • I think I did a pretty good job of hiding all the services away - water, power and network all come up through the slab, and are then hidden behind the panelling. The sump pump even runs between the ceiling and the roof, as does the compressed air ring. Even the surround sound (yeah, I know... ) speakers have their wires buried in the walls. I left the alarm system until quite late in the day though, and I wish I'd fitted this very early. I could have gone for a hardwired system then. Even with a wireless alarm, there's 12v wires running to the siren transmitted and the internal hardwired sirens and strobes. I really wish these were behind the walls, as they are the only visible wires / pipes etc.
    Last edited by Jesus-Ninja; 25-01-2012 at 15:15.
    Where ever you go, never take an idiot with you. You can be sure you'll find one when you get there.

Quote Originally Posted by TomK View Post
    The lower front bar was also showing the typical signs of any metal attached to an s13

Rides
    yay!

Old garage gone!

Last edited by Jesus-Ninja; 27-04-2011 at 15:44.
    Where ever you go, never take an idiot with you. You can be sure you'll find one when you get there.

The lower front bar was also showing the typical signs of any metal attached to an s13

Rides
    Who did you have do it in the end mate? And can you give me a rough idea of cost? I want to do mine this year

Rides
    Garage is a prefab one- £5k from nucrete. Base comes out at about £5K from my mate's dad. Then there's about £2 k of other "stuff"

Rides
    Cheers fella

Rides
    Looks good......so far
    ETA?

Rides
    Well, the garage is due to be delivered first week in Feb, so....

Here's what the garden looked like before l really set to.

Last edited by Jesus-Ninja; 29-12-2010 at 22:13.

Rides
    So it looks like you'll be having an inspection pit and its at the bottom of the garden right? Garden garages are cool We have a massive side garden and when my backs fixed I intend to make it into a double car port (well I dream about it every time I look at it) Gonna have to steal all the materials for it lol (jk)

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Rude Dog View Post
    So it looks like you'll be having an inspection pit and its at the bottom of the garden right? Garden garages are cool We have a massive side garden and when my backs fixed I intend to make it into a double car port (well I dream about it every time I look at it) Gonna have to steal all the materials for it lol (jk)
    Yup - I deliberated about the pit for a long time, but decided in the end to go for it.

I need to find some of that plastic honeycomb stuff they put in the ground to grow grass through that stops the grass getting chewed up, as we don't want a proper drive down to the workshop. It wont be driven on that often, so we'd like grass.

Rides

Rides
    What no question on a thread about your garage

Glad you've got things going now

Rides
    nice
    I have just got my garage to a usable state. Im going to nock my old garage down tomorrow so i can get my jeep in my new garage for the first time. I hope it fits

Rides
    Glad to see its coming together

Do you think we're likely to see any progress on your project in the next twelve months or will the little ones be keeping you busy.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Daz View Post
    What no question on a thread about your garage

Glad you've got things going now
    LOL. For once I have all (most) of the answers! Just waiting on other people now.

kango hire today to take up the old base and drive and then crusher hire to mash it all up.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Hachi Roku View Post
    I hope it fits

Rides
    Glad to see its coming together

Do you think we're likely to see any progress on your project in the next twelve months or will the little ones be keeping you busy.
    Cheers, Tom. I certainly hope so! I'll have quite a lot left to do making the new garage "homely"

Rides
    All tidied up and square, ready for the subbase.

Rides
    That's not a pit, it's a swimming pool!

Will the pit be covered when not in use? If so, what are you planning on using?

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by BBB View Post
    That's not a pit, it's a swimming pool!
    I hope not!

Quote Originally Posted by BBB View Post
    Will the pit be covered when not in use? If so, what are you planning on using?
    Yeah, l plan to span timbers across it. I've heard folk use anything between 2" and 6" thick timbers. l will allow for 6".

Rides
    good thread just what im on with doing, what size garage you going for