Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Garage- It's begun!

Trader: Plus Four Engineering Plus4E's Avatar
    Rides
    Getting there....

Got my boards to cover the pit made up and painted. The rest of the paint for the concrete floor is here too

Just got the far wall / corner to paint, but the work benches are going to run along those walls, so I'm going to do the benches before I paint as it seems pointless to paint under the benches.
    Where ever you go, never take an idiot with you. You can be sure you'll find one when you get there.

Quote Originally Posted by TomK View Post
    The lower front bar was also showing the typical signs of any metal attached to an s13

Rides
    I'm impressed with your pit planks. What are they made of ? More details please.

Two things...

I'd make finger holes in at least two of them in case the one gets stuck (as Sod's law says it will).

Secondly, I'd paint under the bench if only to help seal the floor and keep the dust down. It will make it easier to clean under the bench too.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonny Wilkinson View Post
    I'm impressed with your pit planks. What are they made of ? More details please.
    They are made from 2x4 timbers that span the pit and then panelled with 18mm ply.

I'd make finger holes in at least two of them in case the one gets stuck (as Sod's law says it will).
    You mean like these?

I have some nice flush fitting handles with spring loaded pop up things in to go ion the holes. I'm putting handles in two boards - one at each end, so that I can start whipping them out from eithr end with no probs They are a nice snug fit, so getting them out without is impossible.

Secondly, I'd paint under the bench if only to help seal the floor and keep the dust down. It will make it easier to clean under the bench too.
    Sorry, should have been clearer. The floor will be entirely painted. I was talking about the walls. I only intend to paint the walls above the work benches, as underneath will be full of draws and shelves.
    Where ever you go, never take an idiot with you. You can be sure you'll find one when you get there.

The lower front bar was also showing the typical signs of any metal attached to an s13

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesus-Ninja View Post
    Sorry, should have been clearer.
    So should I

In the pics, it looks like only 1 board has fingerholes. I was saying to make sure 2 have fingerholes...but you've already thought of it.

Did you glue and screw the ply to the 2x4 and is it 3-ply or 5-ply ?

Rides
    In the pics, it looks like only 1 board has fingerholes. I was saying to make sure 2 have fingerholes...but you've already thought of it.
    Ah, yeah, there's another one hiding somewhere.

Did you glue and screw the ply to the 2x4 and is it 3-ply or 5-ply ?
    Just screwed. It's a lots-a-ply! I don't have any to hand, but it's at least 7, probably more.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesus-Ninja View Post
    Ah, yeah, there's another one hiding somewhere.

Just screwed. It's a lots-a-ply! I don't have any to hand, but it's at least 7, probably more.
    have you tested it ?

Rides
    have you tested it ?
    Nope!

I'm confident though.....

Oh it's 11 ply.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Rides
    Looking good there Nick! Must admit, i've kinda given up on the idea of making mine the "batcave" it should be (although the camo net did go onto the door for a couple of days and i now have a digital door lock on it.... ).

Rides
    Cheers, Ian. You should get on it and make yours into a man cave! I'm on the hunt for a cheap lcd tv

Rides
    Oh, and just for Jonny...

Attachment 74575

Attachment 74576

Rides
    Noooiiicee.

I love it when people finish a job properly. So often you see folks put a load of effort into something then bodge it at the end.

If you ever come to sell your house, buyers are going to come round and the bloke will be giving it "This is the house for us, Love" and she'll be either "But I'll never see you " or "You're right, I'll never see you ".

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by andyfield View Post
    Jesus-Ninja what's your verdict on the shelving, I think that metal shelving looks better value than the ikea plan and allows some more options in terms of fixing stuff to it?
    Mini-update. Now that the rest of the floor is painted I've got the shelves in place, bolted together and screwed to the wall.

Solid.

Very pleased

Rides
    Micro update...

Collected a stainless steel sink I found on ebay.

99p

Rides
    this is class, i would love the space to do this sort of thing

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by m.d. View Post
    this is class, i would love the space to do this sort of thing
    Cheers

Saw this today: http://www.sxoc.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=513024

Mine feels tiny now...

Rides
    Ha! I finally plumbed the network in. The cables were buried in conduit months ago before the garden was done, but this evening I terminated them. 2 gigabit lines in. A lot of prayer whilst firing up an old laptop to test them, but they seem to have been answered

Full HD seems to play OK

Rides
    Think I'm gonna have to go homeplugs for my garage and hope for the best. Should really have run some CAT6 when I was having my garden done but there was no good route into the house so would have been a pain...

Rides
    Just bagged myself an LCD telly on FreeCycle. Apparently it intermittently turns itself of. I might be able to live with that if it's not too often. Might also be fine using an input from, say, a media centre

I've also committed to papier maché on the garage door I packed it with 2 X 25mm layers of polystyrene to insulate thermally and acoustically, but I wanted to protect the polystyrene from knocks and solvents. I tried gaffer tape, but it slowly peeled off in the warmth, so I've gone for papier maché.

Basically, paint the surface with PVA, apply strips of newspaper, apply more PVA. Allow to dry. Add another layer, and then maybe a layer more, before a couple of extra top coats of PVA.

Paint with primer. Paint with the same eggshell white that the rest of the walls have been done in.

That's the theory anyway. So far so good!

Rides
    Roof insulation update...

Well, I've been scratching my head for some time now as to how to insulate the roof. The roof is made from fibre cement panels sat on timber purlins which in turn sit on steel trusses.

I had experimented with roof lagging (which was a royal PITA to fit from underneath) and then paneled over it. After deciding that roof lagging isn't that great unless you have 10"+ of it, and that it's hideous to work underneath, I took down the test area I had done, to find it was wet through. Condensation.

So, this presented a new set of problems. I suspect that my blocking up the holes where the corrugated panels met the straight edges at the eaves and ridge didn't help, but I really wanted to discourage things from living in there.

The solution I had in mind was to panel it internally with polystyrene or celotex, but not flat against the corrugated sheets. I would panel over the purlins allowing a 45mm gap between the roof and the insulation for air to move. I would then install vents, inside, along the eaves and ridge.

However, a new solution has cropped up This: http://www.jablite.co.uk/application.../profiled-roof

Which looks like this:

It will fit snug against the profile of the roof panels, and I can cut it into narrower pieces to sit tight between the purlins. This will improve head room, remove condensation and save me faffing around cutting out a million vents.

Although the picture shows the stuff on the outside, I'd install it on the inside, for several reasons - a) it gives a nicer finish on the inside than the corrugated panels, b) it'll hide the electrics for the lighting c) I won't have to climb on the roof d) on the outside it would push me over the height limits of PD

Hurrah!

Just waiting for a call for them to tell me it'll cost £10,000,000.......
    Last edited by Jesus-Ninja; 10-11-2011 at 11:54.

Rides
    Just double check there are no planning conditions from your approval. I doubt there will be but your are changing the external appearance of the roof .