Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Garage- It's begun!

Trader: Plus Four Engineering Plus4E's Avatar
    Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by rich damms View Post
    good thread just what im on with doing, what size garage you going for
    4.5m wide, 11.5m long, with a cheeky 4m X4 m store room to be added onto the end later
    Where ever you go, never take an idiot with you. You can be sure you'll find one when you get there.

Quote Originally Posted by TomK View Post
    The lower front bar was also showing the typical signs of any metal attached to an s13

Rides
    im not going so big 12.6ft(3.8m) by 20.3 (6.18m) but plenty of room for me.Have you had to get planning permission? Just sending a form off to council to see if i need planning or not but I dont think I do

Rides
    As far as I know you don't need planning permission for a prefab

Gonna be soooooo easy to tinker now

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by spencer_foxwell View Post
    As far as I know you don't need planning permission for a prefab

Gonna be soooooo easy to tinker now
    You do if floor space is a certain percentage of the existing floor space and height is over a certain amount. Can't remember the xact figures

Not sure if that is dependent on local authorities though

Rides
    http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/per...d.php?t=471812

this is what I was told to look at when I last posted about permissioon and if its right I should be ok

Rides
    No planning permission required provided it is lower than 2.5m (4 m if you're more than 2m from the boundary)

You can use up to 50% of your land (excluding the main house) for your total developments (ie outhouses, sheds, extensions etc)

you do need to nothing building control if it's bigger than 30sqm though
    Where ever you go, never take an idiot with you. You can be sure you'll find one when you get there.

The lower front bar was also showing the typical signs of any metal attached to an s13

Rides
    Wow that looks great. Are you doing most of it yourself? I know you're not doing it for value reasons but do you know if it will add much value to the house?

If I'm nice, can I use your pit please?

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Silane View Post
    Wow that looks great. Are you doing most of it yourself? I know you're not doing it for value reasons but do you know if it will add much value to the house?

If I'm nice, can I use your pit please?
    Thank you

I'm doing as much as l dare! Got a man with a digger into dig out most of it, and had an architect and engineer spec it all up. Got a guy coming in to do the shuttering and pour. But I've coordinated it all and did the last digging, the crushing and laying of the subbase and I'll put the DPM in.

Yes, of course

Rides
    BCO came round today. Seemed ok with it all, so that is a relief. Next time he wants to visit is when in ready to pour the slab in the pit, so it's been hardcore-a-go-go today!

Got the layer of big stuff down, so tomorrow will compact it and then do a layer of type1, compact, and then sand. then my bit is kinda done.

Rides
    Good stuff, bet the neighbours think you're mad.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Silane View Post
    Good stuff, bet the neighbours think you're mad.
    I would agree with them!

oh, you asked about house value. Yeah, l don't know. Probably more likely to just make it more sellable to a buyer who wants a massive garage, butlers so to someone to doesn't

Rides
    Would offer to help you out but you're nearly 2.5 hours away and I've not got much muscle or free time at the moment.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesus-Ninja View Post
    Yup - I deliberated about the pit for a long time, but decided in the end to go for it.

I need to find some of that plastic honeycomb stuff they put in the ground to grow grass through that stops the grass getting chewed up, as we don't want a proper drive down to the workshop. It wont be driven on that often, so we'd like grass.
    Not sure if you've seen the prefab pits. May not be what you want, but have a look at http://mech-mate.co.uk/

Also do a search for 'grasscrete' for hard wearing grass/concrete surfacing. Again, may not be exactly what you want but a possible option?

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Robbie View Post
    Not sure if you've seen the prefab pits. May not be what you want, but have a look at http://mech-mate.co.uk/

Also do a search for 'grasscrete' for hard wearing grass/concrete surfacing. Again, may not be exactly what you want but a possible option?
    Cheers, Robbie

I've been told about mech-mate before, a few times, but l always get hacked off with their website. I may yet get them involved if, like so many, mine turns into a swimming pool...

Rides
    Bit of an update. Will try and sort pics out tonight.

So, it's all dug out and the old garage knocked down. We had hours of "fun" () lobbing the old garage into a crusher and barrowing it over the site. We did fist sized stuff first, whackered it down and then went to the smallest setting on the crusher and put a layer of home-made type one down, and whackered again. Amazingly we had just the right amount of hardcore: no more no less.

After a lot of t!t-arsing about, we're just about ready to build the pit and shutter off the main base. Once the pit walls are built and the shuttiering is up, we can fill the voids behind the retaining walls and blind the whole base with sand and then get pouring!

168m of T12 rebar ordered today Will spend Friday with a bender

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesus-Ninja View Post
    Will spend Friday with a bender

you know ***** ?

Rides
    LOL!! Nick, you know how to do a project mate!! You loony!!
    oh, and er, good luck with the 'bender'

Rides
    Awesome work

Shall be having my garage done this year as well now - which will be "interesting" in terms of where we move everything n the meantime

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by arry View Post
    Awesome work

Shall be having my garage done this year as well now - which will be "interesting" in terms of where we move everything n the meantime
    A lot of my kit is still in my old garage as we managed to rent it from the girl we sold our place to. The stuff from the single garage at the new house is currently occupying the dining room.

Rides
    OK, bit of a dicslaimer here. I've had a couple of drinks and I'm using handwriting recogniction on a touch screen. Incapable of much else, so I thought I'd add some pics.

So, here's some pics of some hardcored.
    Last edited by Jesus-Ninja; 22-01-2011 at 23:33.