Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Garage- It's begun!

Trader: Plus Four Engineering Plus4E's Avatar
    Rides
    More oipcs

Errrm, OK yeah, these are pics of the DPM. I ummed and ahhhed about how to tank the pit, but to be honest, after a massive thaw and then loads of rain the pit had nothing in it except surface water, and digging down a couple of inches it was dry, so I've just gone for a DPM. If it really has water table issues, I'll tank it internally.

I did go belt and braces though. I taped it, sikaflexed it, and then taped it, and made sure the joins were has high as possible

EDIT: being on first name terms with your vicar has "benefits" - like using the church hall to lay out sheets of DPM that are 4m wide
    Last edited by Jesus-Ninja; 22-01-2011 at 22:32.
    Where ever you go, never take an idiot with you. You can be sure you'll find one when you get there.

Quote Originally Posted by TomK View Post
    The lower front bar was also showing the typical signs of any metal attached to an s13

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesus-Ninja View Post
    touhc screene is great for smilies!
    Not good for much else going by your last two posts

Looking alright so far that is

Rides
    So, by the time I got the DPM in, it was dark....
    Last edited by Jesus-Ninja; 22-01-2011 at 22:31.
    Where ever you go, never take an idiot with you. You can be sure you'll find one when you get there.

The lower front bar was also showing the typical signs of any metal attached to an s13

Rides
    Was going to add the pictures of bending rebar, but I'm too tired.......... tomorrow!
    Last edited by Jesus-Ninja; 22-01-2011 at 22:31.

Rides
    OK, rebar!!!

Rides
    More rebar

Rides
    Oh, and the thing I have to make!

Rides
    Bender!!!

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by zeppelin101 View Post
    Not good for much else going by your last two posts

Looking alright so far that is
    Blah bah blah..

Now.. where's the "big hug, I love you, you're my best mate" smiley.....?
    Last edited by Jesus-Ninja; 22-01-2011 at 22:34.

Rides
    good job man! looks like your doing great in making this pool.......

whats with all the plastic sheet then?

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by remo View Post
    whats with all the plastic sheet then?
    dpm

Rides
    Well, today has been an epicly long day. Staerted with a hangover and a drive to St Albans to returnthe bender, and then nipping to various places to get the pieces I needed for today. Didn't really start properly until gone 12, and finally finished about 11pm

So, today was the day I was to put the rebar in the pit. Building control want to see this before we can proceed, so I had to get it done today, or we'd be a week later with it all, as I can only do stuff at the weekends.

The first problem was the trench I'd dug across the pit to accomodate the sump. It had been squre up the sides, using some paving slabs for clean vertical sides and to retain the hardcore on the main level of the pit with compacted hardcore bottom between the paving slabs. Anyhow, they had started to lean in, meanign the it was 600mm wide at the bottom, but only 500mm wide at the top. Oh no!

A couple of old jacks to the rescue!

Rides
    The it was a case of dropping all the rebar in and jiggling it all in to place. I had the brain wave of making up some timbers to hold the tops of the starter bars in place, and I'm glad I did. Made the whole job much easier by jigging it all up.

Couldn't get hold of any concrete shoes to sit the rebar on, but worked out that a engineering brick split in half was perfect.

Rides
    Had a spare half hour this morning, so knocked up the shuttering for my sump

Rides
    Great work so far.

Rides
    I've had one thought though, the shuttering for the sump might be difficult to remove. I'm pretty confident I'll be able to get the sides out, but the bottom might be a different story.

Rides
    I've had one thought though, the shuttering for the sump might be difficult to remove. I'm pretty confident I'll be able to get the sides out, but the bottom might be a different story.
    In the absense of shutter oil use a libral coat of WD40 or Derv on the face of the form work, it'll make the ply crack off alittle easier without bringing concrete with it

Strap it down also cos it will try to float.

As for the bottem not coming out, why not concrete the floor of the sump with a bucket or 2 of concrete, then just place "side" formwork on it when you do the floor of the pit?

Rides
    Cheers

I'm going to attach it to the rebar, so it won't float. Of course, it'll have some release agent on (as you say, DERV, cooking oil, etc). Had more of a think now, and I think it'll be OK. The sides will smash in relatively easily - 2"x2"s - 4 vertical in each corner. Couple of skinny screws holding them in - sledge hammer from above should shear them, and then the sides will fold in with a cold chisel. The bottom of the box sits inside the four vertical faces, so once they are out, I have an edge I can pry.

Rides
    Big shuttering going in today

Rides
    The bottom of the box sits inside the four vertical faces, so once they are out, I have an edge I can pry.
    Can you put a threaded eye bolt through the bottom into a small metal plate. Then when dry you can put a piece of rope through the eye bolt and pull it out?