Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Garage- It's begun!

Rides
    Alarm link to the house.

One multi core alarm wire would suffice, this could be linked to a PIR in the garage and into an alarm panel in the house.

Smoke detector is another thing but linking it to the house would have to be done in 3 core and earth suitable cable that would require linking to the last detector in the house (that would have to be of a linked type)

Rides
    James May would have a fit - you can't have a man-lab without a toy train .

Trader: Plus Four Engineering Plus4E's Avatar
    Rides
    Pit is complete! Well, as complete as it can be at this stage
    Where ever you go, never take an idiot with you. You can be sure you'll find one when you get there.

Quote Originally Posted by TomK View Post
    The lower front bar was also showing the typical signs of any metal attached to an s13

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesus-Ninja View Post
    Cheers, Robbie

I've been told about mech-mate before, a few times, but l always get hacked off with their website. I may yet get them involved if, like so many, mine turns into a swimming pool...
    or put a 3 inch deep hole in the corner of the pit, that way you can use a cheap pond pump to pump it out when you need to drain it to use it,

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by weegaz22 View Post
    or put a 3 inch deep hole in the corner of the pit, that way you can use a cheap pond pump to pump it out when you need to drain it to use it,
    I have , in fact it's 12" deep
    Where ever you go, never take an idiot with you. You can be sure you'll find one when you get there.

The lower front bar was also showing the typical signs of any metal attached to an s13

Rides
    Shit !! Nick, some pikey has moved in already and is lying down.

Rides
    I have , in fact it's 12" deep
    apologies, didnt actually see that there was another few pages on the build till i had posted my reply

Rides
    apologies, didnt actually see that there was another few pages on the build till i had posted my reply
    That's ok But read my whole thread next time

Rides
    So, this weekend I have shovelled, barrowed and compacted 5 tonnes of shingle, 7 tonnes of Type1 and 4 tonnes of sand. I' knackered.

Rides
    Here we go!
    Last edited by Jesus-Ninja; 06-02-2011 at 20:54.

Rides
    And some more

Rides
    Last pieces of the jigsaw are on their way!

200m of T10 rebar arrives on Friday, along with 70sqm of A252 (8mm mesh). So, another weekend with a bender ahead, and hopefully a productive visit from the building inspector on Monday who will smile and say "yes that's lovely", then it's "concrete away" next week!

Rides
    Last pieces of the jigsaw are on their way!

200m of T10 rebar arrives on Friday, along with 70sqm of A252 (8mm mesh). So, another weekend with a bender ahead, and hopefully a productive visit from the building inspector on Monday who will smile and say "yes that's lovely", then it's "concrete away" next week!
    what thickness of slab did you decide on? 6"?

Rides
    what thickness of slab did you decide on? 6"?
    LOL! Now THERE'S a story....

Essentially, yes, 150mm, so 6". There's a fall in the garden though, so it's more like a cheese wedge and by the end of it, it's 600mm

There were lots of discussions around using strip footings, and retaining walls and then filling with compacted rubble / type1 with a 150mm slab on top, but by the time we'd fannied around with the labour cost / hassle of digging the required depth for the strips, and the concrete required for those, building up the blockwork down the sides, and the lugging of hardcore, we went for the option of just mass filling it.

It is A LOT of concrete though. I pity anyone who decides to remove it.....

Rides
    Mesh went in yesterday - 14 hours! But the building inspector came round today and gave it the thumbs up, so looks like we're concreting on Thursday!!

Rides
    A couple more pics

Rides
    Good luck with the filling.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by BBB View Post
    Good luck with the filling.
    Cheers

Well, it was a bit of a close call. Clubbs had said a while ago "yeah, 20m pumped in, no problem, just make sure you give us 48hours notice"

Rang them yesterday AM (72 hours notice) and was told "sorry, we're busy that day"

Managed to get another supplier in though

Rides
    So, the concrete arrives. Almost a disaster....

...firstly the two pipes running under the bed to the pit wanted to float, of course! A-Level in physics and I didn't think of that. Most annoying was that I'd thought about knocking up some muck by hand to cover them a few days before, so they had some protection, but never did. Bloody things started to flex and bend all over the shop, but hopefully it's all held together. Then the shuttering in the far corner started to let go - that was a properly scary moment, but after some panicking and running around with drills, timbers and screws, it was all patched up - it's just an "interesting" shape at one end...
    Last edited by Jesus-Ninja; 24-02-2011 at 21:55.

Rides
    We had some concrete left over by the time we finished levelling, so I carpeted the garden with it on the premise that once it goes off, it'll be easier to break up if spread thinly.