Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Veg Oil - Discussion

Ex Mod & Crabbit C**t Rubix_Cube's Avatar
    Rides

Veg Oil - Discussion

Right folks, after being bum raped this morning at the Tesco filling station I'm considering dabbling in Veg Oil.

I have a 306 TD with a Bosch pump. Reading up, it appears I have the perfect car.

With Derv now at 130.9p and me filling up 2 or 3 times a month to the song of nearly £80 each time, finding a slightly more cost effective method of filling up.

To start the process would a good service be advised?

What Filters do I need to change more often? Are these a pain in the arse to get to?

Finally, where is best to get the oil?

Cheers,

Rides
    I keep meaning to do this with the disco

During the winter you will need to mix it with around 5-10% unleaded to stop it freezing.

I think places like Maccro and Costco do it in bigish drums? (25L)
    Quote Originally Posted by silverzx View Post
    I like Mark, he seems fair.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slip_n_slide View Post
    Mark is right.

Rides
    If you're going to run it unmodified you'll still need a decent mix of diesel in this colder weather. When it warms up you can drop the amount of diesel in the mix right down, but for winter I'd prob go 50/50.

It's the fuel filter you'll need to change and quite regularly at first as you'll find the oil clears alot of crap out of your fuel lines and it will clog up. After a while it will settle down but you'll still need to change it more regularly than usual.

I modified a 306 TD to run neat oil a couple of years back and it ran fine, but it needed a heat exchanger to warm the oil and a solenoid valve to switch between diesel and veg so you could cold start on diesel and flush through before turning off. It ran fine, didn't notice any power loss and it smelled like barbecues from behind

Unfortunately, someone rear ended it and I couldn't be arsed to do it again so sold all the parts on to a mate.

Rides
    Yeah Del, I seen a post when I searched. Where is the fuel filter? In-Line in an accessible place?

I don't mind running a lesser mix in the winter months, so long as I get the benefit for some amount of time. even if in the winter I ran 25/75 I'd be fine. Buying bulk I think is the answer, the issue I have is finding someone with a membership. Hmmmm

Rides
    I used to run my Disco on it pure, I'd fill up on Makro car park and use thier skips for the big drum

never had any issues, I would put a 5vers worth of unleaded in in winter.

We ran the shogun on it too, but that wasn't a fan of pure when cold, so I would put 3 25ltr barrels in at Makro and stop at tesco on the way home to fill up to the top with Derv. ran perfect then

Rides
    Don't bother getting 1ltr bottles, it takes forever - even if theyre on specital offer,

I once stumbled on 1ltr bottles for 20p at Tesco or Asda (can't remember) but I do remember standing on a freezing car park for hours pumping them all in next to the skip

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by DLowe View Post
    Don't bother getting 1ltr bottles, it takes forever - even if theyre on specital offer,

I once stumbled on 1ltr bottles for 20p at Tesco or Asda (can't remember) but I do remember standing on a freezing car park for hours pumping them all in next to the skip
    lol

right I need to start doing this its just had a service so is ready for it.

There is one guy on the landy forum that pours his drained engine oil in the tank after a service
    Mark is right.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    lol

right I need to start doing this its just had a service so is ready for it.

There is one guy on the landy forum that pours his drained engine oil in the tank after a service
    Indeed, I know someone who managed to run on used engine oil. Is illegal mind. Stick to veg oil. I am waiting fot It to get warmer. I found starting the car on veg these cold mornings was hard even with a mix. Gave up, and left it for summer use now.

Plus the savings were not vast. However now with fuel prices the eay they are, mote worth ehile.

How much is oil, heard it has shot up also due to transportation cost affected by the vat?

Rides
    looks like its about a £1 a litre

http://www.jjfoodservice.com/product...l-1x20L/OIL028

Disco has a 83L tank so that saves me about £25 per fill up.

Do you get the same mpg on oil?
    Mark is right.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by gonzomagic View Post
    Indeed, I know someone who managed to run on used engine oil. ?
    Why is that illegal ? ... I had ford once that like to run on its old engine oil

Rides
    veg oil is going up by atleast 40% in the next few weeks from a food industry source.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    Why is that illegal ? ... I had ford once that like to run on its old engine oil
    Well i imagine it must fooking smoke a bit, we all know what a car looks like that burning a little oil, picture what one is like thats burning nothing but oil
    Mark is right.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by uk86ze View Post
    veg oil is going up by atleast 40% in the next few weeks from a food industry source.
    Supply and demand

to be honest if it costs more than £1 a litre i cant be arsed
    Mark is right.

Rides
    Supply and demand

to be honest if it costs more than £1 a litre i cant be arsed
    I'm in a similar mind set. If it was cheap enough and I could source large bottles I'd consider it.

The other thing I worry about it the damage on the seals of the fuel pump.

Rides
    mpg seemed better in my disco than on derv...

a friend runs his 325 TD on nothing but cooking oil (done 60+K) and his emmissions were better at MOT than derv, and it seems to go a lot better..

smells like prawn crackers too

my shogun smelt of mcaine microchips

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    Well i imagine it must fooking smoke a bit, we all know what a car looks like that burning a little oil, picture what one is like thats burning nothing but oil
    Well, HMRC has allocated usage for veg oil only (2500 ltr per year, on top of that duty needs to be paid, then again 2500ltrs in loads for a single household), otherwise duty has to be paid.

Engine oil is not carbon neutral so it defeats the purpose of the giverment allowing veg oil due to its benefits on the carbon level.

If you car get inspected and dipped, and engine oil is found or any non veg matter fuel then you can have your car crushed.

I am also been told that HMRC scour motoring forums, especially the veg oil diesel forums to see if they can identify non veg users or non duty mixers.

So dont state you want to use engine oil if you do intend to actually use it.

Rides
    Running a 306 TD on veg is one of the easyest things to do.

To start just brim the tank with veg, and when it's empty change the fuel filter.

That will clear out all the crap from the fuel system, after that change it ever 10 or 20K.

It won't damage the seals on the pump
    You won't need a pre-warmer or extra heat exchanger - as both are included on the std model.

Mix with 5% petrol in the winters to keep it fluid.

Add in mineral 2-stoke oil at 1:200 to increase the lubrication of the pump as thinning petrol decreases pump lubrication.

I've been doing this for the last 8 months on my 306 TD, zero problems

Rides
    Great idea but I think your still liable for duty after so many miles of use

How "they" can prove how many you've done is another thing, but with more people turning to it they may find new ways to do so

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by R3k1355 View Post
    Running a 306 TD on veg is one of the easyest things to do.

To start just brim the tank with veg, and when it's empty change the fuel filter.

That will clear out all the crap from the fuel system, after that change it ever 10 or 20K.

It won't damage the seals on the pump
    You won't need a pre-warmer or extra heat exchanger - as both are included on the std model.

Mix with 5% petrol in the winters to keep it fluid.

Add in mineral 2-stoke oil at 1:200 to increase the lubrication of the pump as thinning petrol decreases pump lubrication.

I've been doing this for the last 8 months on my 306 TD, zero problems
    This post fills me with confidence.

No one has told me where the fuel filter is yet

Rides
    Get a vegetable oil can from costco for a tenner (I think) for like 20 litres I think...cheaper if you buy the plastic tanks too. We use them at the take away...