Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Cost of commuting ...

Rides

Cost of commuting ...

I worked out this morning what it costs me to drive to work and back each day and it made me wince a bit. My car is basically only used for commuting...

60 miles @ ~24p/mile (25mpg using £1.33 SUL) = £14.40
    Insurance @ £500pa = ~£2
    Tax @ £245pa = ~£1

~£17 a day ... OUCH

The worst bit is that even if I was driving a 40mpg diesel it would still cost me ~£12 a day.

This of course doesn't include the cost of tyres / servicing etc ...

I love cars

Dave

Rides
    Fvck that
    Its not just the cost that would get to me but the fact that i was driving all that distance every day just to get to work and back.

Mate of mine a few years ago used to tell me how he would commute into london everyday for 2 hours and then 2 hours (or more) back. Told him he was off his trolly, no amount of £££s would get me doing that crap its just not worth it.
    You dont get that time back when you snuff it
    Last edited by Sideways14a; 24-01-2011 at 10:58.

Rides
    It hurts

and fcuk all you can do about it ....... what annoys me though is people coming up with ways you can beat the price hike "make sure your tires are properly inflated etc etc etc "

This worked the 1st time they sugested it when petrol went up to 87p per litre ..... but they suggest it every fcuking time there is a price increase ....... "GNNNRRRRR I CANT INFLATE MY TIRES ANY MORE FCUKING PROPERLY"

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Sideways14a View Post
    Fvck that
    Its not just the cost that would get to me but the fact that i was driving all that distance every day just to get to work and back.

Mate of mine a few years ago used to tell me how he would commute into london everyday for 2 hours and then 2 hours (or more) back. Told him he was off his trolly, no amount of £££s would get me doing that crap its just not worth it.
    You dont get that time back when you snuff it
    It was either 30 miles each way to work and save £70k on a house or vice versa and I couldn't afford the £250k house outright

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    It hurts

and fcuk all you can do about it ....... what annoys me though is people coming up with ways you can beat the price hike "make sure your tires are properly inflated etc etc etc "

This worked the 1st time they sugested it when petrol went up to 87p per litre ..... but they suggest it every fcuking time there is a price increase ....... "GNNNRRRRR I CANT INFLATE MY TIRES ANY MORE FCUKING PROPERLY"

Dave

Rides
    to be fair, would you not be insure, already own and insure/tax/service your car anyway? I wouldnt count these costs as commuting costs personally.

I drive to work most days and only consider cost of fuel, parking and congestion charge as i'd still insure, tax, serice and maintain my car anyway.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave_S View Post
    ~£17 a day ... OUCH
    I bet it's still cheaper than going by train though

EDIT : OK, scrub that . The raw cost of a season ticket would be cheaper than a car for me. But then I have the advantage of living just a 5-minute walk from the station. I guess if you live further away then you'd have to factor in parking and petrol etc etc. and that would make it more expensive again.

EDIT : I should add, I'm only speaking hypothetically when I say 'cheaper than a car for me'. I actually live exactly 1 mile, by road, from my office .
    Last edited by Cluck; 24-01-2011 at 12:01.

Rides
    I own, tax and insure two cars for a much shorter commute...

OTOH, even assuming there was a train that would get you to work, how much would a season ticket cost (per day)?

Rides
    Don't forget to factor in the cost of a bus or anything you need to take from the Station?

Using one form of public transport is usually cheaper, but unless home and work are close to the station then the costs soon increase.

As well as the inconvenient timetables the number of smelly weirdo's on them, how they are always late and take forever.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon_H View Post
    I own, tax and insure two cars for a much shorter commute...

OTOH, even assuming there was a train that would get you to work, how much would a season ticket cost (per day)?
    If I was to hypothetically get a season ticket for a 30-mile rail journey each way, then it would work out at just under £12 a day. But I don't have to factor in bus/taxi/petrol+parking costs, so as per my EDIT and as R3k1355 says, it could end up being more expensive if you do have to add those costs in .

And there's the rub. Unless rail travel is significantly cheaper than a car then people will still use their car. When you factor in the convenience and the privacy of your own space, why would you pay the same, or only slightly less, to use public transport? If you don't live in the city or less than a 5-minute walk from a station on a main line, then why would you consider anything but a car.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by nitrodave View Post
    to be fair, would you not be insure, already own and insure/tax/service your car anyway? I wouldnt count these costs as commuting costs personally.

I drive to work most days and only consider cost of fuel, parking and congestion charge as i'd still insure, tax, serice and maintain my car anyway.
    a percentage fo it, find out how much it would cost to insurace your car to do 5000 miles, then minus that from your insurace of the miles you told them and then work that out.

if i didnt drive to/for work, i would only do 3000-5000 miles per year, but as i drive to and for work, i acutally do, and have insurace for 15000 miles plus business insurance

Rides
    If I didn't commute in my car I'd do about 1000 miles a year I reckon, so I think it's fair to include the insurance and tax in it. Even if I didn't it's still £14.40 just in fuel

Dave

Rides
    I think it is fair to include, but not all of it.

The way I see it is if I did commute using public transport would I then not own or drive a car???

No I probably still would, even though my mileage would be quite low.

Have you ever tried not having a car?

It's ****ing ridiculous, you can't 'just' go anywhere, you can't do anything without forward planning.
    And you can only take with you what you can carry, which includes food shopping.

Rides
    My journey on the train:
    Distance door to door 23 miles
    I have to walk 20 mins to station
    Have a 38 minute train ride
    Walk 25 minutes the other side
    Total time taken ~1 hour 20 door to door
    Cost ~£9 a day and a fcuk load of shoe leather
    Cost per mile covered ~39p

On motorbike it takes me 35 mins door to door, and costs about £2.75 in petrol. No idea what 'running costs' are overall in terms of servicing etc but I can swear it's a damn sight cheaper than the train.

Only disadvantage is I can't get pissed

Rides
    You need a small car under 1549cc (cheap tax) thats £80 a year saved just on tax the newer low CO ones are even cheaper. Then they do like 40mpg+ so halving you fuel cost from £14 to to about £7 per day.

bikes are cheap but a bit dangerous, whats your life worth to you

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Stiffler View Post
    You need a small car under 1549cc (cheap tax) thats £80 a year saved just on tax then they do like 40mpg so halving you fuel cost from £14 to to about £7 per day.

bikes are cheap but a bit dangerous, whats your life worth to you
    That cheap tax car would still cost me congestion charge day in day out and it'd be more like 2 hours door to door, on a good day, to get to work. My life's worth more than sitting in traffic 4 hours of the day

Rides
    I worked out this morning what it costs me to drive to work and back each day and it made me wince a bit. My car is basically only used for commuting...

60 miles @ ~24p/mile (25mpg using £1.33 SUL) = £14.40
    Insurance @ £500pa = ~£2
    Tax @ £245pa = ~£1

~£17 a day ... OUCH

The worst bit is that even if I was driving a 40mpg diesel it would still cost me ~£12 a day.

This of course doesn't include the cost of tyres / servicing etc ...

I love cars

Dave
    Bus to Reading £2.20 Bus to work £6 (All returns)
    Total time to get there 2 hours in the rain and piss.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by arry View Post
    That cheap tax car would still cost me congestion charge day in day out and it'd be more like 2 hours door to door, on a good day, to get to work. My life's worth more than sitting in traffic 4 hours of the day
    I was talking to dave s it is his thread

is he in london? that would cost congestion aswell

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Stiffler View Post
    I was talking to dave s it is his thread

is he in london? that would cost congestion aswell
    Yeah I know, I was just butting in

No, I don't think Dave works in London. If he does, then it's his own stupid fault running a 535i into town

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by R3k1355 View Post
    I think it is fair to include, but not all of it.

The way I see it is if I did commute using public transport would I then not own or drive a car???

No I probably still would, even though my mileage would be quite low.

Have you ever tried not having a car?

It's ****ing ridiculous, you can't 'just' go anywhere, you can't do anything without forward planning.
    And you can only take with you what you can carry, which includes food shopping.
    We'd use my wife's Mondeo, I'd definitely have access to a car I just wouldn't be using mine 99% of the time so if I wasn't commuting it would barely be touched.

Quote Originally Posted by arry View Post
    Yeah I know, I was just butting in

No, I don't think Dave works in London. If he does, then it's his own stupid fault running a 535i into town
    Noooo, I work in Colchester but live out in Suffolk.

Dave

Rides
    Noooo, I work in Colchester but live out in Suffolk.

Dave
    That rules out pubic transport then .

What do you get your neck of the woods? One bus a day at a really inconvenient time? That's what my parents used to get at their old house . I guess it's the price we have to pay for 'wanting' to live in the sticks, 'cos we've all moved out from London to live here, with our wallets full of cash haven't we .

Sorry, went off on another rant there . As you were .