Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: 350Z Z33 Gearbox Conversion

Rides
    No progress whatsoever. I can't have the car off the road ATM, and I seem to be the only person with one now.

As I said before, the adaptor plate is where I'm stuck. Just don't know WTF I'm going to do about that, certainly don't want to buy one for $500+ but it seems I have no other option ATM, bar selling the box.

Rides
    Im still waiting for a suitable box

Plenty of early and later ones out there but it would seem that the good ones are in high regards still

Good news for when i eventually get one but bad news at the moment lol

skinz

Have you had a chat with Polo ? he uses adaptors for the skyline box so must have someone available to make the Z33 ones ?

I can have a chat with a mate to get a drawing made up for them ?

work2drift
    I'll be going down this route by atm I'm just collecting parts.

Seems a few people after this boxes bumping prices up

Whats the top power on these boxes?

I think POLO will be the one to ask but GARAGE D might be worth a try

Rides
    Finding a laser cutting place in my line of work shouldn't be difficult, it's the knocking up a CAD drawing bit lol.
    I certainly won't be shipping it out to a company to do it all, goes against my beliefs!

work2drift
    Skinz how much did the box cost ya.

There is a low milage box going for £500 out of salvage car

Rides
    Off the top of my head;

I got the box, shifter, chassis crossmember, slave cylinder, clutch fork assembly and propshaft for about £650 on a pallet. £50 of that was delivery.

As for what power can they take, the turbo'd Zs in the states are still on standard boxes, as are various 9 sec Drag cars. So they are far stronger than an SR20 box, but I've read no official figure as of yet.

work2drift
    Quote Originally Posted by skinz180189 View Post
    Off the top of my head;

I got the box, shifter, chassis crossmember, slave cylinder, clutch fork assembly and propshaft for about £650 on a pallet. £50 of that was delivery.

As for what power can they take, the turbo'd Zs in the states are still on standard boxes, as are various 9 sec Drag cars. So they are far stronger than an SR20 box, but I've read no official figure as of yet.

So it should take 450whp
    I might try and buy a salvage 350z then strip it and sell the parts

Rides
    According to a mate who worked for Nissan, the synchros from these GB are fragile and very expensive.
    He advised to service it after 50/60k

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by folken View Post
    According to a mate who worked for Nissan, the synchros from these GB are fragile and very expensive.
    He advised to service it after 50/60k
    Been covered earlier in the thread. This is an issue that affects early z33 boxes.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by work2drift View Post
    So it should take 450whp
    I might try and buy a salvage 350z then strip it and sell the parts
    be careful doing that mate as things like the engines just dont sell. some stuff will pull mega money but just dont think you'll easy pull a grand for the engine
    SLIDEMOTORSPORT - Find us in the traders section or call 01977 647277

Rides
    Thought I'd update this with some info on where to get the adaptor plates made, see below (quoted from another box thread on here):

Quote Originally Posted by BLAKTOOTH View Post
    Z33 box all the way. Speak to Richard Clarke on DW as he knows someone in the UK who makes the adaptor plates.
    Quote Originally Posted by Polo View Post
    That will be Mrsteveo and Greg Gush, they make the plates.

Rides
    Just thought I'd stick my nose in, I run an engineering company, and we could be interested in both machining the adaptor plates and machining the bellhousings.

We (along with most machine shops) would require the following:

-A detailed drawing/CAD file of the adaptor plate.
    -Material spec for the above.
    -How much needs machining off of the bellhousings.

Mainly because it seem like an awesome conversion, and one that could really benfit a lot of SR users who have box troubles.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by BLAKTOOTH View Post
    Thought I'd update this with some info on where to get the adaptor plates made, see below (quoted from another box thread on here):
    Already spoken to them, they're keeping me updated as it's not ready to sell.

The annoying thing for me now is I have a box and engine sat together, but no CAD skills!

Rides
    Surely if you have both boxes you can measure the holes/profile and come up with a drawing for the plate? Doesn't have to be done in CAD does it? If I had the dims I could model something in Catia V5 and create a drawing if needed?

Rides
    Any machineshop worth their salt will be able to read a decent pencil sketch with dims mate, CAD is often unecessary.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Lex. View Post
    Any machineshop worth their salt will be able to read a decent pencil sketch with dims mate, CAD is often unecessary.
    Probably need a CAD model so the part can be CNC'd though. Seriously, if someone gives me a paper sketch all dimmed up I don't mind modelling it one luncheon.

Rides
    Nope - again, any manchine shop worth their salt will be able to input it into their cad system as long as there is enough informaton on the drawing.

VERY Rarely do we see a Solid model or DXF Drawing that is actually any use in their given form, we usually end up re-drawing or having to modify the mess they give us. Just saying, often your creating more work than your saving.

If you insist on CAD, don't bother with solid models, it's just not necessary, you'd be better off with a .dxf or something.

Alls I'm saying is that your doing a fair amount work yourself when it's really not necessary.

Rides
    Getting the two profiles is quite easy, just need to make sure they centre up perfectly around the gearbox input shaft

I managed it in a shed so it can't be too hard

Rides
    I could sketch them up, whether it would be of use to anyone but myself is a different matter.

Rides
    I can make a drawing given enough dimensions on edgecam if someone wants. I obviously don't have the boxes here to make my own drawing so someone will have to give me a detailed one for me to work from.

I made an adaptor plate a while ago by getting a sheet of MDF and drilled a whole in the middle of it the size of the input shaft. I placed the box on the MDF with the shaft through the whole. I then just drew round the box and drilled through all the bolt holes into the wood.

I then re drilled the hole the centre of the wood to suit the new gearbox input shaft and did the same but looked for a hole that nearly lines up with the box in a similar orientation to the origional box.
    I believe that the Nissan boxes there may be more than one that line up with each other.
    Then drilled the new hole positions.
    This works as an awesome template and also can be measured using the CMM machine we have in work to make an accurate drawing.

If someone makes me the template I can measure it for them