Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: S14 Trackslag, Rust Repairs, Cage, Brembo's, ABS and Aircon Delete

Rides
    Nice work so far, looking forward to seeing this come together.

Cheers Aj

Rides
    Not done anything constructive yet, but started cutting out more rust.

Motherfu*ker! I think this is worse than the other side. Again this has been repaired in the past. Think im going to cut the complete lower corner off and start again. This is a big step, as lots of new bits have to come back together, so im going to take my time and make lots of cardboard templates before i hack it all off.

Rides
    Awesome, makes me wanna get a welder and do my own car.

Keep up the good work.

Rides
    Seriously, what metal did Nissan use when building these things lol!..Looking good though bud!

Rides
    i think nissans came with pre installed rust as standard

Rides
    Got happy with Mr Grinder today, and lopped the whole corner off. The bodged repair that someone else had made, had already started rotting out.

Nice! So i cut out the rest of the rot and then started cleaning up all the edges and getting off the tiny remainder of surface rust. I treated all the areas with a rust killer and primer. Then I sat on the floor staring at the gaping hole, and tried to work out how to put it all back together.

I took lots of photos and made some templates of a couple of crucial pieces.

Then back to my metal work station

I started by making a return for the floor section, that i could MIG spot onto later.

Then i made the floor section. I reinforced where the captive nut was going. Then welded the nut onto it. I used the subframe mounting brace to help locate it.

Here it is welded in fully

Im well chuffed with that! Like it grew there

Wish i had done this to the other side now, but at the time i didnt have the confidence to cut it all off! Still its solid and all the major rot is out.

Actually enjoying doing all this welding now. Anyone else want their s14
    doing?

Rides
    Did a bit more today.

Made a plate, tacked it in and MIG spotted it to that flange i welded on yesterday.

Fully welded

From the back

Decided to run some welds down the back for extra strength

Made a plate for the rear end. With lots of holes for spot welds

Welded

Then covered in zinc paint

Rides
    Thats a pretty good effort mate!
    I think mine was as badly rusted and took a lot of time to get that rear sill/arch area cut out and welded. Looks like it will be a neat job when your done.
    Tom

Rides
    Cheers Tom

Been a bit distracted recently, what with grandparents needing stuff done, work (of sorts) and general laziness. But ive got to get the car on the ground and basically waterproof by friday night, as im converting someones bmw from auto to manual, so i need the space!

Pictures tell a thousand words so....

Just got outer skin to make and then bottom of arch, then tub the arch.

Rides
    Ive been quite busy recently, so havent had much time to spend on the car. I still havent finished the welding, but i did buy myself a FMIC. Its a cheap ebay kit, so i wasnt expecting the best quality, but im impressed. All the pipes are ally, and are free of that shite silver lacquer. The intercooler is a fair size, and is much better quality than some ive had in the past.

Im in the process of trial fitting at the moment. I cut off the bonnet latch support bracket and the two slam panel supports. Ill weld in replacements later when the intercooler is finally mounted.

Im trying to get it as high and as far back as i can, while not having to relocate my oil cooler or remote filter housing.

I drilled out the spot welds for the battery tray upper, and then cut through the lower skin with a grinder. When the pipe final location is fixed, ill weld over a new plate to tidy things up.

Rides
    Great handwork!

Rides
    Quality fab work mate.Can you do a link to ebay intercooler please as I'm after one for my S13!

Rides
    Cheers guys.

This is the kit i bought.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...ht_1951wt_1002

From this seller

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/hwmotorpart...id=p4340.l2563

The only thing that is annoying is that the take off for the boost control solenoid is on the cold pipe near the throttle body end. Im going to plug this up and get a new one welded onto the hot pipe, as near to the turbo as possible, to help reduce boost spike. Also the positioning of the other take off on the underside of the cold pipe fouls the rad fan shroud, so im going to have to get that welded on somewhere else. Didnt notice these things at first. It may be because im using a non standard radiator and the fan shroud may be in a different place.

Rides
    wow mate. you are brave and a very very good fabricator/welder. wish i could do this to my car, but dont have a welder or a garage to store it in. dont even have a work bench. lol.
    ill be watching this thread from now on. very very goof work.
    keep it up mate.

Rides
    fair play to u mate the amount of love and hard work u have put in is an inspiration to pull my finger out and do something about my own

Rides
    Thanks for the comments. It was seeing other people hard work on here that motivated me!

Rides
    I had a few minutes spare this morning so had another play with trial fitting stuff. Ive had a result! The front bumper fits without needing any trimming, and better still, the fog lights fit without modification. I assumed i would have to lose these and that i would have to butcher my bumper. Im well pleased.

I may still make some kind of skid plate for the bottom of the intercooler, just to protect it a bit from kerbs.

Rides
    Here are some pics of how everything sits. May be useful for anyone who buys the same kit.

I found some unused threads in the front subframe so i re-tapped them and used them for the lower mounts.

Intercooler sits above bumper centre and mounts sit at the same height as the bumper lower corners. Undertray will need modifying to fit and a new way of attaching to the bumper.

Top mounts welded on. Whole front end reassuringly strong considering the parts i cut out earlier. The intercooler and headlights when fitted are now stressed members! Im going to. weld in a small box section to help strengthen everything Im not sure if im keeping the bonnet catch yet. Ill keep it if i can, again to keep it looking standardish.

Rides
    Today i made a reinforcing bar for the bonnet catch. I decided that i dont want aero catches or bonnet pins sticking through the front of the car. I drilled/cut a hole through the bonnet catch bracket and slid a small piece of box section through. This then bolts to where the original front brace went but is small enough to fit between the oil cooler and intercooler without rubbing on either. The bottom bolt hole is slotted for adjustment.

I then cut it off and welded it at the top and then welded a small plate on the top to stop water getting into the box section. Now the bonnet shuts perfectly with no wobbling about. Result!

I also got the aircon condenser out. In the end i didnt have to take the rad out, just move it forward enough to slid it out of the top.

Rides
    Fair play for atempting that mate thought mine had a bit of rust but thats unbelievable